Email campaign to lobby for Bono & the Nobel Prize

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
timothius said:
Anitrams you're post was awesome.

The only thing I can add is... I would be slightly dissapointed if Bono, whose efforts are part-time, were recognized on the same level as Nelson Mandela, whose efforts were life-time.

That's a grand, resonating statement, and a nice thought, but I disagree with you: I honestly believe U2's songwriting is part of Bono's mission of peace, too. With Bono, it's also a full-time job. You have to appreciate the symbiotic relationship between Bono the Crusader and Bono Leader of the Biggest Band.

Palace_Hero said:
Bono doesn't deserve the Nobel Prize, are you people insane? He's a celebrity for gawd's sake. He hasn't done anything too amazing.

It's amazing that he's been nominated THREE times now for the award. I seriously think that he'll get it, eventually. (Probably not this year, but down the line.)

I personally think you are blind if you want Bono to win over the more deserving people who put their entire life and beings in their work.Saying that, I guess he deserves a Nobel Prize for his mission of peace when writing Miami, eh?

Or Even Better Than The Real Thing?

Or Xanax and Wine?

Or Discotheque?

Or Drowning Man? (ugh)

Or I Threw a Brick...? (ugh)

Get real, the man is a rock star. A good man too who does his bit, but a rock star none the less. And you can never justify your reasons for thinking he is more deserving than others for this price, NEVER. Though I challenge you to try.

How old are you by the way?

Palace_Hero said:
I personally think you are blind if you want Bono to win over the more deserving people who put their entire life and beings in their work.Saying that, I guess he deserves a Nobel Prize for his mission of peace when writing Miami, eh?

Or Even Better Than The Real Thing?

Or Xanax and Wine?

Or Discotheque?

Or Drowning Man? (ugh)

Or I Threw a Brick...? (ugh)

Get real, the man is a rock star. A good man too who does his bit, but a rock star none the less. And you can never justify your reasons for thinking he is more deserving than others for this price, NEVER. Though I challenge you to try.

How old are you by the way?

He has a larger audience, and he impacts far, far many more people than anyone else in the running.

LyricalDrug said:

He has a larger audience, and he impacts far, far many more people than anyone else in the running.

Do you have a list of people who are in the running and could you post it here?

LyricalDrug said:

That doesn't make him deserving of an award and that is a very broad reason to have. The fact that his effort is projected more than others takes away his credentials, because it means in relative terms he is doing less work than we think.

Imagine if Bono worked as hard as these grassroots people? THEN he would be putting his postition to good use.

Why doesn't Bono pack in the music and dedicate 100% of his life to charity work like other nominees? He still would have the audience and the imact, probably moreso if he mad as grand a gesture as that.

Bono is a good man, I respect his work. But his work does not in anyway deserve to be recognised by a Nobel Prize. If for no other reason than the fact ha is already recognised. Give it to someone unknown, let their work get some spotlight and support that it would otherwise not recieve.

You only want Bono to win out of selfishness IMO, as you and alot of U2 fans feel he is 'yours', your friend, he 'sings right into your ear' as the man put it himself.

Get some prespective (deliberate typo for Axver and Timothius.)

U2Man said:
Do you have a list of people who are in the running and could you post it here?
the nobel committees keep their nominations a secret. however, if nominees wish to announce they're nominated, they may. there's an article about it here: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7026061/

but if you don't want to read, there's 199 nominated this year (163 individuals and 36 organizations). known nominees:
  • colin powell
  • bono
  • hugo chavez
  • taslima nasrin
  • george ryan
  • tiananmen mothers group
  • a charity that provides homes to abandoned and abused children worldwide
  • mordechai vanunu

other possible nominees:
  • international atomic energy agency
  • international red cross
  • save the children
  • pope john paul II
  • former president vaclav havel

Cassis said:
one of the worst ideas i've ever read

Heheheh ... Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week. *takes a bow*

:wink:

Well, I'm just glad people are talking about the fact that Bono's been nominated. It's a big honor even to be nominated, and this is his third time.

Back
Top Bottom