do you think that bono truly believes in his causes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2Kitten said:

She didn't meet him just in fan meetings, she had hung out with him. I guess the only people who really 'know' Bono are his family, the band, and Guggi and Gavin.

You don't like having your little Bono fantasy intruded on, do you? Look, I'm a fan too! I don't hate him! I don't hate his cause! I am only saying the way he projects himself and contradicts himself sometimes hurt his cause and I can understand how non fans see him as a hypocrite! That's all!

"Hung out" Wow....impressive! :rolleyes: What color underwear was he wearing? I mean, if she knows the deepest secrets of his heart, she must know something as trivial as that. I have no "Bono fantasy" in this sense! I don't agree with plenty of things he says and does, but I choose to believe his heart is in the right place by his actions and convictions. Wow, he contradicts himself?:shocked: :tsk: I certainly have never done that. I'm perfect. Please, quit assuming moral superiority. Bono has talked more times than I can count about how he is a mass of contradictions. We all are. None onf us are completely unwavering at every moment in time, on everything we believe in and do. I'm not interested in the opinion of someone who was looking to find fault with Bono like the Mystical Bono-Conscience Surgeon. The only way you focus on faults if if you're looking for them, and usually that means they've been conceived in one's own mind. Maybe the Surgeon Genius should look in the mirror, and get off her high horse. No one can help her bleeding heart way up there.

Copy said:

there's a huge difference here. are you encouraging your friends and family to pay more taxes or are you asking them to accept that the social benefits, they enjoy, are cut in order to reallocate their tax money?

I'm encouraging them to support initiatives that will send money overseas to help ailing people.

At the same time I do what I can to avoid paying as much tax as possible.

Obviously something has to give (but not really, the US Government spends 106% of what it earns.)

Now judge me.

Tell me how bad a person I am.

Secondly, how would you reconcile the fact that the band, U2, will be paying tax in the Netherlands, and have no voice in how that tax money is spent? As far as I know, they won't be voting residents there. They most likely won't be using any of the services their tax money is used to fund.

What about the fact they pay millions of dollars in tax across the globe, yet have no legal input as to how that money is spent. When they sell out 5 nights at MSG, they pay tax on that revenue. Yet they have no say in how that money is spent. The money they put into that system far oughtweighs what they will use in terms of services.

Last edited:
U2Man said:
yes, and most people on the planet. but don't you find it conflicting?

Morally conflicting? No

bono doesnt like taxes.

Evidently Not

he knows human beings dont like taxes.

He's right

how can he possibly believe that he can solve the huge problem of africa by using tax payers's money?

He's optimistic?

. :wink:

Look, I'm only answering the question posed in the thread title. I think Bono believes in his causes

Last edited:
Do ya'll think a priest has less moral ground to request help for the poor, being that his/her church enjoys tax exempt status?

Do you stand up during a sermon about helping the needy and tell him to "fuck off" he hasn't payed his fair share into the system?

He gets to vote as well.

Fucking bastard.

U2Kitten said:

She didn't meet him just in fan meetings, she had hung out with him. I guess the only people who really 'know' Bono are his family, the band, and Guggi and Gavin.

You are so right. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT HE DOES NOR DOES ANYONE ELSE ON THIS THREAD KNOW WHAT HE DOES. Get it? You don't know him and you don't live with him. You have no idea! NONE! What he donates or whatever is his own goddamn business. So stop thinking you know everything about Bono because you don't.

U2isthebest said:

"Hung out" Wow....impressive! :rolleyes: What color underwear was he wearing? I mean, if she knows the deepest secrets of his heart, she must know something as trivial as that. I have no "Bono fantasy" in this sense! I don't agree with plenty of things he says and does, but I choose to believe his heart is in the right place by his actions and convictions. Wow, he contradicts himself?:shocked: :tsk: I certainly have never done that. I'm perfect. Please, quit assuming moral superiority. Bono has talked more times than I can count about how he is a mass of contradictions. We all are. None onf us are completely unwavering at every moment in time, on everything we believe in and do. I'm not interested in the opinion of someone who was looking to find fault with Bono like the Mystical Bono-Conscience Surgeon. The only way you focus on faults if if you're looking for them, and usually that means they've been conceived in one's own mind. Maybe the Surgeon Genius should look in the mirror, and get off her high horse. No one can help her bleeding heart way up there.

:bow: :applaud:

U2Kitten said:
All I am saying is that if a person speaks so much on something and wants others to follow, he needs to practice what he preaches and not look like a big mouthed, insincere, pretentious hypocrite.

Do research.

http://www.concernusa.org/news/item.asp?nid=97

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/u2 keep sex abuse charity afloat

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/u2 to donate millions to africa

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=4305

Perhaps you need these types of stories to be front page of the NY Post. I'd imagine the band have different sensibilities.

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:

:uhoh: Just a quick, FYI: While I don't doubt that Bono, Adam, Edge, and Larry have donated at least this much, and more to various causes, (they have this crazy idea, that maybe they shouldn't brag about it! I know, let's all try and contain ourselves) I have yet to read one factual story on contactmusic. The website's a piece of shit.:|

Yes he believes in the causes that he supports. He has actually been to the devistated parts of Africa long before he was ever in the media talking about it. I dont really think he cares what some armchair critic thinks about him. Bono has always had people that have hated him and always will, one thing I can say is that I am glad it is bringing some much needed attention to a very long lasting problem. Do Angelina Jolie, Oprah and Alicia Keys care about the problem they speak of absolutely, do they get as much flack as Bono who knows, I doubt it, its a double standard.

U2isthebest said:

:uhoh: Just a quick, FYI: While I don't doubt that Bono, Adam, Edge, and Larry have donated at least this much, and more to various causes, (they have this crazy idea, that maybe they shouldn't brag about it! I know, let's all try and contain ourselves) I have yet to read one factual story on contactmusic. The website's a piece of shit.:|

Are you saying the stories I've listed are fake?

MrBrau1 said:

Are you saying the stories I've listed are fake?

Not necessarily. As I've said, I believe the boys from U2 have given WAY more than we could imagine. I'm just saying be cautious on what you believe from contactmusic. They're usually a load of crap. This is the website that said Bono was at a trashy burlesque show in Vegas.....while he was on tour....in Japan:huh:

Maybe U2Kitten is speaking of the one person that really knows U2 Lola Cashman, after all she "hung out" with the band too, and apparently knows them well haha

Bono should keep doing what hes doing, there are many morons in this world that have done nothing and will never do anything for others in their lifetime, but oh yeah he doesnt walk the walk.

U2isthebest said:

Not necessarily. As I've said, I believe the boys from U2 have given WAY more than we could imagine. I'm just saying be cautious on what you believe from contactmusic. They're usually a load of crap. This is the website that said Bono was at a trashy burlesque show in Vegas.....while he was on tour....in Japan:huh:

Bono is a trashy burlesque show in Vegas. Doesn't matter where he is.

"Philanthropy is commendable, but it must not cause the philanthropist to overlook the circumstances of economic injustice which make philanthropy necessary. "

-- Martin Luther King, Jr.

what amuses me is that people here act as if when U2 has to pay 1% less taxes this means that Bono will get 1% more income
I am quiet sure that since U2 really is a business with employees and all this money will just go into U2 Inc.

I am not even sure whether corporate tax money is allocated the same way as private tax money (and I'm an accountant lol)
but I guess that the people who are sure that Bono is a hypocrite have investigated this

the most amusing part though is that the only truly sound post in this entire thread (dazzlingamy's post) gets completely ignored by the people who are already convinced that Bono is apparently a selfish bastard (if they are not convinced of this then they are just trying to stir up something - which would be trolling - so I'm sure that can't be the case)

Salome said:

the people who are already convinced that Bono is apparently a selfish bastard (if they are not convinced of this then they are just trying to stir up something )

try to read this again and tell me that you cannot hear yourself what utter nonsense it is.

MrBrau1 said:
"Philanthropy is commendable, but it must not cause the philanthropist to overlook the circumstances of economic injustice which make philanthropy necessary. "

-- Martin Luther King, Jr.

:up: this couldn't be more appropriate then now..! Thanks, a great quote by an amazing human being..:wink:

Lets put it this way I would rather support what Bono is trying to do, then what that numbskull George Bush is trying to do any day of the year. If they put even a fraction of their war fund into 3rd world countries we wouldnt have 3000 people dying every day of preventable causes.

U2Man said:

i can hardly imagine that you enjoy reading through a thread that you call a 'useless discussion'.

The discussion itself is not useless, your approach to it is what I was calling useless. Speculating on what his friends thought really doesn't mean shit, and it's a weak way to debate the subject.

so was bono on the board when they decided to move u2 corp out of ireland, or did his friends say to him: "fuck you and your african crap, we want the money."

don't tell me that bono couldnt tell that this wouldnt look good, and that it would inevitably hurt his cause.

?

U2Man said:
so was bono on the board when they decided to move u2 corp out of ireland, or did his friends say to him: "fuck you and your african crap, we want the money."

don't tell me that bono couldnt tell that this wouldnt look good, and that it would inevitably hurt his cause.

?

So you're saying the only way you understand it is that it was entirely Bono's doing, or he was against it? My assumption is that they decided together, with whatever business and finance consultants they employ, and made the best decision for the group as a whole.

And I still don't see how this is hurting Bono's cause. His taxes somehow affect how many people are in need of food, shelter, and HIV medications? :huh:

Hurt his image, maybe if it really matters THAT much to people, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the "cause".

Here's why it hurts his cause, losing your credibility is not good when you are trying to convince the entire world about something as important as bono says it is to him:

Chizip said:

Nobody is saying he has to be a saint, he can drink what he wants, smoke what he wants, fuck what he wants, and it wouldn't be a big deal. But to go around imploring governments to give their tax money away, and then to pull a portion of your business out of your home country in order to avoid paying a some of your taxes, especially AFTER HE SAID HE WOULDN'T DO THAT, then he loses some credibility.

Was the money that they saved really worth that loss of credibility, the beating they are taking, and a little leverage Bono loses in his fight for Africa?

U2Man said:
Here's why it hurts his cause, losing your credibility is not good when you are trying to convince the entire world about something as important as bono says it is to him:

But that doesn't hurt the cause, it only affects Bono's personal credibility. IMO, I think it's rather shallow and slightly disturbing that people would choose to care about extreme global poverty based on what they think of Bono's tax returns.

Yahweh said:
Lets put it this way I would rather support what Bono is trying to do, then what that numbskull George Bush is trying to do any day of the year. If they put even a fraction of their war fund into 3rd world countries we wouldnt have 3000 people dying every day of preventable causes.

I've said that too. I said it in the Lola thread. Bono's 14 million dollar apt. and quarter of a million dollar Maserati could have saved thousands of lives, but what's being wasted on that war could save millions. Also, I can't stand thinking how many ways that money could make life easier for us here in America, and how sickening it is people work their butts off every day for money that gets used in ways they don't approve of. Why all my problems and millions of others could be solved by spreading those billions around right here at home. All they do is kill, tear up, rebuild and tear up again. And those fighting the war are not even being paid well. I saw a handout jar on the counter of the Family Dollar for the kids of local soldiers in Iraq!

I know a LOT of people do bad things with their money when they could do good, but the difference as far as this thread goes is, they do not go around acting like they care and asking others to help and sacrifice. Everybody knows Bush is an asshole who doesn't give a damn. Bono acts like he does. That's the difference.

Saying 'well I may be bad but at least I'm not as bad as _____' like the tax collector story in the Bible doesn't justify anyone.

(and again all I am saying is that Bono's apparent hypocrisy is hurting his cause from what I've seen a lot of people say I do not mean to bash him and certainly not his cause, only that he should consider how things look if he really wants to gain support from the public)

Liesje said:

But that doesn't hurt the cause, it only affects Bono's personal credibility. IMO, I think it's rather shallow and slightly disturbing that people would choose to care about extreme global poverty based on what they think of Bono's tax returns.

but being a public person giving speeches about this matter, advocating solutions, trying to convince people - would it not benefit his cause if he as a person had all the credibility he could possibly have?

U2Kitten said:

(and again all I am saying is that Bono's apparent hypocrisy is hurting his cause from what I've seen a lot of people say I do not mean to bash him and certainly not his cause, only that he should consider how things look if he really wants to gain support from the public)

(which makes perfect sense, except that usually the type of people who would choose whether or not to care about global suffering and disease pandemic because of how one celebrity looks or acts are not the type of people that are going to do a whole lot to learn the facts and actually help out. If the people making the cause visible are somehow of more significance than the cause itself, something having nothing to do with those celebs has gone very wrong. Sorry, but if someone were to judge what I believe in based on my last year's tax return, I'd rather not have that person on my side anyway)

U2Man, I'm getting the feeling that you're not going to be satisfied until everyone in the thread comes around to agree with you and Chizip.

You can repeat your arguments until you're blue in your face, but the people in here who disagree with you are very unlikely to change their minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom