DO YOU LIKE ZOOROPA MORE THAN ALL THAT YOU CANT LEAVE BEHIND

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by PopTart, Pamela:
THIS IS A NON CONTEST

ATYCLB is way out in front - the more I hear it the more I love it !!

Pamela

I agree- some of the songs seemed slow at first but the more I hear them the more I fall in love with the musical work and Bono's sweet voice. ATYCLB has it all over the noisy Zooropa but I do love Stay (Faraway so close)

BAM FOOLS! Sorry to break up the little ATYCLB love in, but come on. I mean not to say that I don't love ATYCLB because i do, but it is still #4 behind #1 AB #2 Zooropa and #3 Pop. At least on my list. And my list is the list to be on. Just ask it. so anyway Zooropa = rockin good time. Turn it on and it'll never let you down. The song Zooropa still does it for me every time. Don't hate the album, hate the game.

------------------
Please repeat the message, it's the music that we choose.
http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~kljense3/MrTvs.html

Zooropa!!!!!!

------------------
Here I go and I don't know why
I spin so ceaselessly

I haven't listened to Zooropa all the way through since 1994, lol...

Wow, I'm actually shocked people prefer Zooropa over ATYCLB...

I guess that kind of gives away my opinon, lol!! ATYCLB all the way......not even a contest!!!!

Zooropa is one of my top 3 fav U2-albums, but I have to say I prefer ATYCLB by a narrow margin

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

YES! Zooropa is my 4th fav and probably ATYCLB will come in 5th!

------------------
Love, slowly stripped away
Love has seen its better day...

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

"Zooropa" is brilliant to me. It was the last time U2 really put themselves out there, and it oozes raw emotion in the oddest of places. That's why I love it, and I listen to "Zooropa" a lot.

ATYCLB, while enjoyable, seems contrived in too many places. It's almost as if U2 were making this album with the intention of pleasing people. Of course, U2 will deny that--how many bands will admit that they're making an album to rebuild their audience base from a perceived previous commercial failure? That is what ATYCLB and the tour seemingly was--an attempt to rebuild, and an attempt to please a fickle American audience. As such, I hesitate to say that ATYCLB is the "third masterpiece." I have a feeling the next album will be more fit for this title. ATYCLB is more like UF than JT--the precursor to the next great album. At least, this is what I hope.

Ormus

------------------
"Then she was in the helicopter, and it was rising, and I had not gone with her, and I never saw her again, none of us did, and the last words she screamed down at me break my heart every time I think of them, and I think of them a few hundred times a day, every day, and then there are the endless, sleepless nights." - Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet

Somewhat related...a snippet from the upcoming SPIN interview...

Bono:
'I am so proud of the work along the way, of an album like Zooropa and that tour. We took our position as far as any band that was big in the mainstream ever had and I am really proud of that. I always wanted to follow a band that would really push it like Bowie used to do and I think we've done that. But we didn't push so far that there were only a few people left in the room.'

I?d have to say that ATYCLB is U2s best album - for the moment! After i got Zooropa a few months back I listened to it on and on. Magic and beauty in every song. But as I heard ATYCLB for the frist time I was lost, the songs the comforted me, though I had nothing to worry about. I feel warm and joyful when listening to that one. It?s a masterpiece.
To sum things up: Zooropa is great, but there has to be a time when you just need some simple words of help guidance. And music that "feels warm inside"

------------------
beLIEve

Zooropa easily

a very, very, clever album. one that really benefits from being recorded quickly.

ATYCLB is probably my 7th favorite U2 album, (mainly because it is another Greatest Hits album... ie its nothing new for U2)

My least favorite U2 album is Zooropa. The album does nothing for me. I like a few songs, like Stay, Lemon, and The First Time. That's it. I hardly ever listen to it.

ATYCLB I rank #5 out of 10, with 1-4 being Achtung Baby, Joshua Tree, Unforgettable Fire, and War. I like the ATYCLB a lot, but I do agree with the comments here that it is a bit sleepy. For the copy I made for my car tape, I moved New York to about midway through the album to break the monotony of so many slow songs, and took out Wild Honey and Grace.

I like Zooropa a lot more than ATYCLB. And, for me, the song Zooropa is (with acrobat) the best U2 song!
And let's face it - I'M THE ONE WHO'S WORD COUNT'S THE MOST AROUND HERE!!!

------------------
"Everyone loves me
everyone thinks I'm georgeous
they wait for their turn to meet me..." - Me, 2001.

I love Zooropa it is my favorite album of all time. When i heard that album it just took me places in my head. Zooropa is a true work of genius. ATYCLB is good, but don't think it's on par with Zooropa, AB, POP, and JT.

------------------
"I swore to my father I'd never do hamster-style again."

"looking for the sound thats gonna drown out the world
looking for the father of my two little girls
got the swing got the sway got my straw in lemonade
looking for the face i had before the world was made." - MOFO

im going to be difficult here...

i like them equally. two totally different moods so i cant really compare them. I think Zooropa is pure genius, but I also adore ATYCLB, what i listen to depends on my mood.

sorry
biggrin.gif

As much as I like Zooropa, I don't think it would ever make me fall in love with U2 if, say, I heard it in full before I've heard ATYCLB. To me, Zooropa is an interesting album which demonstrates the admirable fact that U2 were not afraid to change their sound (although Zooropa has nothing on it that is terribly original or inventive if you look at how many other (some much less popular) artists did that sort of stuff before). It adds an extra dimension to my appreciation of U2 and I like several songs a lot. But in my honest opinion, ATYCLB shows what U2 are BEST AT, which is writing great emotional songs that a lot of people want to take to their heart even if they're not -that- into U2.

ATYCLB is for the masses

Zooropa is for the fans

That's why most people here, including me, prefer Zooropa

I hope the boys are reading this. We want one for the fans!!

Originally posted by Hawkfire:
I much prefer ZOOROPA over All That.

There's no lyrics as paint-by-numbers as the drudging Peace on Earth and Grace. They were poor songs by U2 standards before 9/11 and guess what? They're still poor songs! I will give credit where credit is due in that Kite and Walk On are great and IALW is also nice. But the album has filler.

Zooropa is treated as a throwaway in its conception, and perhaps that is what is refreshing about it, especially compared to the U2 of late (how can we possibly sell an extra 1M copies of our record?). i.e. U2 weren't PUSHING product, they didn't seem to be TRYING so damn hard on being the BIGGEST band in the world. Simply the BEST band.

I adore "Zooropa" - but ATYCLB outranks it in my mind (although U.F. remains my favorite U2 album).

The weaknesses on "Zooropa" are amazingly what Hawkfire wrote about ATYCLB, just in reverse: there was too much filler on "Zooropa." For example, while the title track is great, but having both "Babyface" and "Some Days..." was too much. Additionally, it took me some time before I enjoyed some "Zooropa" songs - and I like U2's very experimental side. I never liked "Lemon" until I heard the Perfecto remix of it. "Numb" is cool the first few times, but then it needs to be skipped for some time before it sounds interesting again. And while Johnny Cash does an excellent job on "The Wanderer," even I would like to hear the Bono only version.

In contrast, over a year after ATYCLB was released, I still find myself longing to hear it. "Beautiful Day" still sounds refreshing and powerful and nothing gets a day going better than "Elevation." Hawkfire felt that POE and "Grace" were lyrically over-simplistic. I disagree - that's the weaknesses of "Babyface" and "Some Days..." I feel that POE is far more powerful a song than "Sunday Bloody Sunday" - which is considered amongst U2's best - because it becomes so deeply personal. Both "Sunday..." and "Please" were songs about the hardships and misguidings of war, but POE brought those feelings to a whole new level - Bono made his lyrics strike our most personal lives. "Grace" is admittedly simple, but this prayer-like simplicity is what makes it an excellent closing track.

"Zooropa" is more of a reflection of the future; whereas, ATYCLB is a reflection of the past. Both outstanding albums and despite my slightly negative comments above, I will always enjoy "Zooropa." Also, I agree with the statement that U2 were "trying harder" with ATYCLB. But then, is that reason to fault the album? With "Zooropa," U2 had the luxury of just having released 3 consecutive albums in the U.S. that went 5x Platinum! They could afford to release an album that "only" sold 2 million copies. But with ATYCLB, U2 had just released 2 consecutive albums that failed to go 3x Platinum ("Zooropa" and "POP") and their experimental Passengers album barely registered a beat on the sales charts. U2 went from "Rock's Hottest Ticket" to an 80's band that might *finally* be crashing in the 90's.

I can certainly relate to U2's desire to give it "one more go." Could U2 remain relevant? Could they touch our lives again? Could they become multi-platinum selling artists 20 years after they started? It was a challenge. If ATYCLB had "flopped" - only selling "POP" like numbers - then I'm sure that U2 would go the way of R.E.M.: releasing albums here and there, perhaps having a mild hit or two and slowly stop touring. But U2 had to test themselves - and they proved not only to themselves, but the world, that they are indeed a band that cannot be dismissed. It is this very message of hope, these reflections on the past as we move constantly toward the future, that makes ATYCLB such a powerful album and easily one of U2's best.

Give me Zooropa over ATYCLB. I love both, but for me Zooropa's where it's at (except for the damn Wanderer, I LOATHE that song.)

smile.gif

------------------
"I sometimes get the odd twinge that I wouldn't mind playing lead guitar, just like a couple of notes, but that's about as near as I would want to get to the front." -Larry

No contest.

Beautiful Day alone can outshine all that Zooropa has to offer. To me, Zooropa is an oversized single. Stay is on the A-side, Lemon and Zooropa on the B-side. All That... may be for the masses, but sometimes the masses are simply right.

Take the low end from both albums. Personally, that would be Babyface, The Wanderer, and Daddy's Gonna Pay... . I'll put those beside Grace, Peace On Earth, and Wild Honey. The low ends for ATYCLB are mountains above the Zooropa low enders.

I don't mean to sound so anti-Zooropa, I like U2 period.

Back
Top Bottom