Best Soul Song.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which U2 song best echoes the soul of Motown?

• "Angel of Harlem"

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • "Babyface"

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • "Hallelujah Here She Comes"

• "In a Little While"

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • "Mysterious Ways"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "Stateless"

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • "Stay (Faraway, So Close!"

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of"

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • "Summer Rain"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "The First Time"

• Total voters

Achtung Bubba

Refugee
Every so often, I find myself in need of some Temptations.

No, not biblical temptations. THE Temptations, the Motown group that you simply can't resist...

- The simple beauty of "My Girl" and "Since I Lost My Baby."

- The undeniable rhythm of "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" and "(I Know) I'm Losing You."

- The sheer funk power of "I Can't Get Next to You" and "Psychodelic Shack."

Not to mention "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone," "I Wish It Could Rain," and "Just My Imagination."

There are moments, when Bono's falsetto kicks in, or when Adam's bass grooves just right that you get the feeling U2 is Motown reincarnated.

(A pretty sad state of affairs when four white boys from Ireland are carrying the Motown torch, huh?)

My question is this: which U2 song best echoes Motown?

(My vote? "In A Little While.")

Bubba

As I consider things, I probably could have included Sweetest Thing (Single Mix) and If God Will Send His Angels. Sorry. :)

Also of interest:

Zooropa, the oddest U2 album, also seems to have the highest concentration of Motown-esque songs.

Finally, if you throw in "Sweetest Thing" and U2's cover of "Satellite of Love," you have enough songs for a U2 Soul album. My suggested track list is the following:

1) Angel of Harlem
2) Summer Rain
3) The First Time
4) Mysterious Ways
5) Hallelujah Here She Comes
6) Babyface
7) Sweetest Thing (The Single Mix)
8) Satellite of Love
9) In a Little While
10) Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
11) Stateless
12) Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of

It was a tough pick between Angel Of Harlem and In A Little While, but I voted for Angel. The horn arrangement is what did it for me. :cool:

Interesting and unique idea ! Would any of these songs be classified as a soul song ? Never Let Me Go, Walk To The Water, Salome

singing

I?d absolutely pick "Angel of Harlem" if it?s for Motown Classic Soul Feeling. What is the Motown Classic Soul Feeling? It?s "Dancing in the Streets" (people were out an the streets then), it?s Marvin Gaye (but it?s not James Brown! James Brown never signed with Berry, heh. And the Motown band there was incredible, they?d deserve half of the credits, some say).

But I have voted for Hallelujah as the spirit of Bono?s voice always sends shivers down my spine. In a way, it has more spiritual feeling than "Angel of Harlem", and seems very pure as well.

The Goal is Soul.

In a little while, though Angel of Harlem and Stuck also are very soul-ish to me.

That would have made a very nice album tracklisting! :yes:

i voted for angel of harlem. a few months ago, i was in the same room they were when they recorded it. i'd say it's their best soul song. although i was disappointed when they started playing WLCTT instead of AOH. :(

Angel of Harlem. The song title, the lyrics, the instruments-it's as Motown as it gets.

Back
Top Bottom