Best Album Survivor: Round Nine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your least favorite album?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Zooropa is my favorite U2 album, so I'll be very sad to see it go......ok well not really sad.....it's just an internet forum poll.

Fingers crossed UF makes it to the next round. I naturally went Zooropa again ... at this stage I could go for either AB or Zooropa, but AB's got a couple more songs that I really love.

This is already Zooropa's best Survivor performance ever - you can't say the revival of the title track on 360 didn't help it out! Last time we ran this, it came fifth, with Pop scraping in to fourth.

Zooropa versus UF is a very tough call for me. The former dips into the techno/electronic style that I very much enjoy, but the latter has the atmospherics that I tend to love in full albums. Both of them have lofty high points - Lemon and The Unforgettable Fire especially - but strike me as uneven in terms of songcraft and conceptual execution as well. You can look at both as well in terms of promising directions that were largely abandoned after the initial effort and could have resulted in even grander statements down the road. All this is to say that this round is essentially a toss-up for me.

Zooropa versus UF is a very tough call for me. The former dips into the techno/electronic style that I very much enjoy, but the latter has the atmospherics that I tend to love in full albums. Both of them have lofty high points - Lemon and The Unforgettable Fire especially - but strike me as uneven in terms of songcraft and conceptual execution as well. You can look at both as well in terms of promising directions that were largely abandoned after the initial effort and could have resulted in even grander statements down the road. All this is to say that this round is essentially a toss-up for me.

I agree with this 100 per cent.

I can't believe Zooropa is about to beat TUF. This is awesome.

:up:

cops.gif

I've never understood why this forum doesn't rate Indian Summer Sky. Fucking great song.

In the past I might have put Zooropa over The Unforgettable Fire.

But not today. (not that it matters now.)

Zooropa.

Despite some interesting events (such as tossing the 00's albums and War early or Pop making it this high), this is the top 4 everyone can agree on.

I don't thiiiink sooooooo ..... :eyebrow:

As for those who tossed :ohmy::sad::ohmy::sad::ohmy: NLOTH in the dustbin???!!!!! ...... :tsk::tsk: there'll be karma to pay, baby!

:wink:

I was extra busy and so missed the 7th and 8th rounds.

For me NLOTH is the second or first (they exchange places from time to time- OR i'd declare AB & NLOTH a tie!)of the Top 3 .... AB, NLOTH, JT.
I've never liked every song on any of their albums. My criteria is how many I think are excellent to beyond that- extrodinary/superb/sublime <etc :)>
Zooropa would bemy 4th unless I tied it with War <their breakout album from my pov... I was interested in them from Fall '80 onwards>.

So TUF goes

A lot of songs on there i didn't care for much but I'm willing some day to relisten to the whole thing (my sib bought it). I bought EP WAIA - which i got for ASOH. I learned to appreciate the title track later on in the 09 360 leg.

I've never understood why this forum doesn't rate Indian Summer Sky. Fucking great song.

I actually think that's my least favorite on the record. There's no hook. Nothing really happens in it. I like the chorus (such as it is), but the verses are basically Bono talking over an alternate take of Wire (which is excellent).

At least EPAA is delightfully bizarre, even if it is too long and Bono's vocals are hilariously awful for no real reason. I can't believe Eno thought that was a good idea.

Hilarious that an afterthought throw away is going to beat The Unforgettable Fire on here. I guess if U2 played I Threw a Brick Through a Window at 360 it would be October instead of Zooropa making it to the finals now. Or perhaps the crisp new sound of the incredible, Edge-supervised Zooropa remaster pushed it over the top! :lol:

Oh well, sad but predictable. There must be 50 people in the world who think Zooropa is a better record than TUF, and they're all on Interference!

You know, LM, normally I think very highly of your writing on music, but when it comes to UF, I just find your opinions bizarre. No hook in Indian Summer Sky? Now you're starting to sound like the guy on RYM who argued that there are no melodies in the music of Yes.

Hilarious that an afterthought throw away is going to beat The Unforgettable Fire on here.

Afterthought throw away! Yeah, put that collection of should-have-been b-sides in its place!

Oh well, sad but predictable.

I'll take "Irony" for $1000, Alex.

There must be 50 people in the world who think Zooropa is a better record than TUF, and they're all on Interference!

I'm guessing that's more than the number of people who would rather converse with you in place of a braying jackass.

You know, LM, normally I think very highly of your writing on music, but when it comes to UF, I just find your opinions bizarre. No hook in Indian Summer Sky? Now you're starting to sound like the guy on RYM who argued that there are no melodies in the music of Yes.

Well, I am attempting to converse with someone who considers TUF the Greatest Album Ever; there's not a lot of leeway for negativity there. :)

I don't mean to say that ISS has to be catchy either, I just don't know what it's trying to be if not an upbeat rock song, and as far as upbeat rock songs go, it doesn't really stick with me.

It must suck to come to a forum where the large majority of people that interact with you and read your posts strongly dislike you.

If only the mods would let us put it to a vote.

Hilarious that an afterthought throw away is going to beat The Unforgettable Fire on here. I guess if U2 played I Threw a Brick Through a Window at 360 it would be October instead of Zooropa making it to the finals now. Or perhaps the crisp new sound of the incredible, Edge-supervised Zooropa remaster pushed it over the top! :lol:

Oh well, sad but predictable. There must be 50 people in the world who think Zooropa is a better record than TUF, and they're all on Interference!
I share your love for TUF, but I can't say Zooropa is an afterthought throw away. Yes, it's an afterthought, but much more than a throw away. It's an incredible album, with highlights such as Zooropa, Lemon and Stay, not to mention that Dirty Day became a beast of a live song. I think it deserves to be classified as a top 4/5 album.

How is it an afterthought? The tour took its inspiration from some of the sounds and ideas the band was wrestling with during the making of the album, but Zoo-TV became a completely separate entity, and organically evolved over the course of the tour as it pulled information into its system. It shares more in common with Zooropa than it does with AB.

The Zooropa sessions were inspired by the atmosphere of that tour. It seems to me that it gave birth to many ideas that don't have much connection to the raw emotion going on in Achtung Baby; the main connection being the "dream out loud" I mentioned in my original post.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but only Numb (via Down All The Days) and Stay actually were "leftovers" from the AB sessions.

lol @ at any album taking less than a year to record being classified as an afterthought.

I'm guessing that's more than the number of people who would rather converse with you in place of a braying jackass.

It must suck to come to a forum where the large majority of people that interact with you and read your posts strongly dislike you.

If only the mods would let us put it to a vote.

Wow. Personal insults because I said something you don't like about a U2 record? Must have hit pretty close to the mark to get you all riled up like that.

Next you're going to be calling me scruffy-looking.

PS. Oh, and if you want a vote on whether I should stay or go, perhaps you should put your money where your mouth is, Lazarus, and start a thread with a poll on the subject. Or are you too busy for that?

That's what I thought. :)

Well, I am attempting to converse with someone who considers TUF the Greatest Album Ever; there's not a lot of leeway for negativity there. :)

I don't mean to say that ISS has to be catchy either, I just don't know what it's trying to be if not an upbeat rock song, and as far as upbeat rock songs go, it doesn't really stick with me.

I haven't considered UF the greatest album ever for years (but OK, it's still in my top three), and I've not exactly been silent in my criticisms of MLK or their dreadful decisions re: album tracks vs b-sides. How did 4th of July make the album as the token instrumental rather than Bass Trap, Sixty Seconds in Kingdom Come, or Boomerang I?

I think ISS is a perfect complement to Wire - Wire has more tension, fear, and darkness, while ISS has the atmosphere and introspection. Plus it just sounds damn good and it's a song I connect to. On most other U2 albums, I'd probably rate it in the top three ... actually, it probably even gets close to my top three from UF some days too.

I share your love for TUF, but I can't say Zooropa is an afterthought throw away. Yes, it's an afterthought, but much more than a throw away. It's an incredible album, with highlights such as Zooropa, Lemon and Stay, not to mention that Dirty Day became a beast of a live song. I think it deserves to be classified as a top 4/5 album.

I don't think Zooropa is a bad record; it's just not in the same league as TUF. And yeah, you're right, after thought is a more apt descriptor than throw away. I still own my copy. :)

Back
Top Bottom