Bands That U2 Have Influenced

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most of the commerical bands that I was thinking have already been mentioned already however U2 have influenced me song writing wise and some of my other friends who are in bands, we may not be famous but the influence is there.

Remy Zero, especially in voice

I think, the guy from Divine Comedy is U2 fan

Travis too

I adore Thew Killers and listen to their album every day! The lyrics are not as deep as Bono's but whose are?

I think the Killers are definately inspired by U2. But I also think they are a Heinz 57. A little bit of a lot of things, with youth on their side.

LIVE is a band who openly talks about how they are constantly insprired by U2. Ed has written lyrics about Bono, played U2 covers. Chad Tayler, the lead guitarist writes about the influences of U2 in many of his tour diary entries. Live has it's own special sound though. I do not think they sound like U2 at all, but they sure do love them.

There is a strong influence on the 1st 2 Radiohead records.

When I was on a Radiohead board, people would get pissed at me for saying so, but it's the truth.

HelloAngel said:
I'm just going to pop in again - honestly, I wholeheartedly recommend The Killers album. Sorry. Ok going now... :heart: :wave:

Give it a couple really good listens - in the singer's vocalics - it's very old school 80s Bono vocalics. The guitar is very Edge and the drums are very very Larry in some parts. :heart:

oh hon...i know!! :hyper:

my killers album rarely leaves my stereo....i've given it a few million listens and still haven't grown tired of it. :drool: i think i love every fookin track on it!!:hyper:

:wave:

hey mr.hot lips lol!

Headache in a Suitcase said:
ironicly with the stapp is copying eddie not bono argument... this is an excerpt from an online biography written by one of eddie vedder's childhood friends from chicago...

rage was also greatley influenced by u2... morello used to copy edge's guitar work when he was first learning how to play, and zach de la rocha has said that "11 o'clock tick tock" was the first record he ever bought

awesome headache :up: how's them lips doin'? :drool:

i saw that posted on the PJ board about a year ago...I printed it out and everything lol....how did you find it so fast? :der:

i was floored to hear that Eddie was and is a huge U2 fan (just ask Carrie about her Vegas experience standing right next to Eddie in the Heart at U2's show).

i mean... U2 and Bono buttons on his jacket? :lol:

even i didn't do the buttons thang. :lmao:

One band I've recently discovered that you can tell is very influenced by U2 - sleeping at last.

some of sleeping at last's song sound like they could come straight off of the unforgettable fire, and lyrically they play off the spiritual imagery u2 has more than any other band i've seen... they were just signed onto interscope records recently and were discovered by billy corgan (get "skeleton of something more", "currents", and "hurry" if your the downloading type)

I was at a bookstore, and I was flipping through a Coldplay book, and a Radiohead book. Both books had a full page pictures of U2 and it talked about how U2 influenced the group. That made my day, and I told just about everyone that was by me when I was reading those books.

Although you wouldn't really hear it in the music, I know Dave Matthews has said he was influenced quite a bit by U2. Mostly lyrically.

Re: hey mr.hot lips lol!

mmmBono said:

i was floored to hear that Eddie was and is a huge U2 fan (just ask Carrie about her Vegas experience standing right next to Eddie in the Heart at U2's show).

:lmao:

REALLY??????:hyper: :combust: :applaud:

U2 and PJ are my two favorite bands!

HelloAngel said:
I'm just going to pop in again - honestly, I wholeheartedly recommend The Killers album. Sorry. Ok going now... :heart: :wave:

Give it a couple really good listens - in the singer's vocalics - it's very old school 80s Bono vocalics. The guitar is very Edge and the drums are very very Larry in some parts. :heart:

The Killers are EXCELLENT

Finnish band Technicolour has mentioned in many interviews (in what I've read anyways) that they are U2 fans.
Lead singer Jimi (Pääkallo) has said that he gets some inspiration from U2.
I've only heard one of their songs, One Night, and I think it might have some influence. Though hard to say about one song. :)

Re: Re: hey mr.hot lips lol!

vivaSA said:

REALLY??????:hyper: :combust: :applaud:

U2 and PJ are my two favorite bands!

It's true!! Eddie was very kind to fans when he walked into the Heart. He smiled, spoke to fans and even agreed to take some pictures. Shortly after, everyone left him alone and he was able to quietly drink his beer. That was the point where I stood with my back to him and snapped a pic of him behind me, all covert-like ;)

Right before the show started, Eddie slipped into the security barrier that separates the Heart and the actual catwalk of the Heart (where the band plays). He stood behind me for most of the show. It was hard not to stare, but I did manage to work up the nerve to say "Hi, I'm so glad you're here!" or something similarly stupid. He had to watch me violently shake my ass during No Doubt and wave my feather boa in the air - kinda embarrassing but whatevs.

During U2, he sang along and even shed some tears during "Bad" or some other ballad. On some songs he would do his Eddie-head-bob-while-looking-at-the-floor thing. He seemed like a really mellow, sweet man.

UnforgettableLemon said:
Collective Soul
Third Eye Blind

Both have covered "I Will Follow" (although 3eB's SUCKS hard)

Yeah they covered "I Will Follow." I didn't really like their covers though.

Third Eye Blind rocks!!! LOL...

They are defintely influenced by U2 in some form and even when they chucked their guitarist Kevin Cadogan (who was one of the main forces behind their U2 type sound), their new guitarist still took some aspects of U2 s with in a just as interesting direction IMO. Listen to the song ran with it in songs like Blinded and Can't Get Away (from their album Out of the Vein, their most recent album). These are great songs with a U2 influence IMO.

With that said, 3EB' s song, "Blinded" is probably one of the best rock songs I've heard in awhile and could be termed the "mother of all rock songs..." :)

Scott Stapp influenced by Bono... no way
;)

Last edited:
I'm a closet 3eB fan. Their "Acquiesce" is shite too, though. :tsk:

Blinded is amazing. As are Wake for Young Souls and Crystal Baller. It was not a bad album, just not great

thereisnospoon9 said:
One band I've recently discovered that you can tell is very influenced by U2 - sleeping at last.

some of sleeping at last's song sound like they could come straight off of the unforgettable fire, and lyrically they play off the spiritual imagery u2 has more than any other band i've seen... they were just signed onto interscope records recently and were discovered by billy corgan (get "skeleton of something more", "currents", and "hurry" if your the downloading type)
I saw Sleeping At Last open for Swithfoot last year, and they played a great live show and their album 'Ghost' is awesome...they have personally mentioned being heavily influenced by U2.

UnforgettableLemon said:
I'm a closet 3eB fan. Their "Acquiesce" is shite too, though. :tsk:

Blinded is amazing. As are Wake for Young Souls and Crystal Baller. It was not a bad album, just not great

Actually, I'm not a huge fan of 3EB, either. They are hot and cold for me. I mentioned Can't Get Away from their last album... great song but crappy Stephen Jenkins rap... 3EB can be really good or they can be pretty crappy... they can ruin perfectly good songs with lame moments...

However Company is still the greatest rock song put out in a while...

What about the Doves being influenced by U2? Christian rock is defintely influenced by U2 for better or for worse... LOL

Canadian Band 'Pilate'....they absolutely love U2. Listen to their album 'Caught By The Window' It'll change your life i swear

Switchfoot, definitely. I mean, they're on the DATA bandwagon (there's a whole story about some dinner they went to on their official site - I'm too lazy to look it up right now...), and they have this song 'Gone' (yes, Gone) that ends 'Every step we take brings us closer to a God who isn't short of cash / Hey Bono I'm glad you asked'.

If that isn't a diehard fan I don't know what is. I mean, even I cringe whenever I listen to those R&H rants, and I'm as tolerant of Bono's preachiness as the next fangirl.

And about Radiohead... two of my friends were reading their book (...blanking on the title... :huh: ) the band definitely goes on and on about their U2 obsession.

REMY ZERO
THE WALKMEN

Both of these bands and singers sound sooooooooo much like U2 it is quite scary but cool at the same time.:wink:

cowboy hat

U2girl said:
Touche :) Stapp has Bono-like mannerisms all over. (so does that take away or add to the attitude towards Creed around here? :D )

i have seen some photos of stapp wearing a cowboy hat too... just like what bono loves to wear.

New Zealand band 'Opshop' are huge fans of the band and their debut sounds so much like U2 it's hilarious. The guitar is so Edge-like and the vocals sound like a croakier version of Bono now.

The Feelers, another NZ band, are also big fans. You can hear the influence especially clearly on 'As Good As It Gets,' a song with U2-like riffs, song structure and lyrics. It's an awesome song, too... goes to show something!

HelloAngel said:

Ok this is where my personal experience steps in.

Stapp is a known Bono-phile. The man is obsessed. If you watch the "With Arms Wide Open" video, you will see a man doing his best Bono impersonation. While Creed might have a harder sound, lyrically and spiritually, the band is very very influenced by U2.

Also, I lived in the same town as Creed when they were getting started. I had to listen to Stapp drone on and on about his obsession with Bono and all things U2 at the coffee house I used to go to.

Really?? Interesting I would've never guessed....Nor have I noticed.

Back
Top Bottom