anyone else already own the dvd?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
its awesome!
got it today, was surprised to find it in the shop since i thought it wouldnt be released until 2 December

Hello,

I also saw it yesterday in the shops. I had to resist myself to buy it, but I managed it. I don't know if it's already released in the whole of Europe or just in the Netherlands (because of Santa Clause's birthday on 5/6 December, which is the main gift-event here in the Netherlands). It's now #1 on my Christmas list.

For those who haven't seen it yet, the packaging looks quite nice. It's again in a cardboard slipcase (a la Elevation 2001) and it's a double DVD packaging. However, there is only 1 DVD in it, the other space is reserved for the History Mix DVD (the one you get with the ltd. edition of the 2CD version). While it's nice to have those 2 DVD's together, I do think it's a bit redundant and cheesy as the History Mix already came in a cardboard cover.
There is also a small booklet. It has most of the photo's also published in the CD-booklet + a small introduction of all the 'regular' video's (by Martin Wroe, who also writes for Propaganda). By 'regular' I mean the 16 that are on the tracklisting, not the bonus videos or alternate takes. Again, I have a slightly double feeling about this. Why reproduce those photo's again? On the other hand, those pictures are great and it is a companion to the CD-release (and the main point is of course the contents of the DVD).

C ya!

Marty

P.S. I have to say that in DVD-format the cover of the 2 buffaloes looks even more impressive. It's gorgeous.

dizzy said:

Wait, so you didn't buy it? Why? :confused:

Well, around Christmas I always say I'm a spoiled kid who has everything he wants, thus cannot think of any presents. Which is largely true (apart maybe from the spoiled part). Anyway, now I do know something and so I made my family happy by having at least one item on my list.
Plus, I still have to finish my final university thesis (and it's a real b****), so I need every time I can get. The DVD would distract me too much (that's why I'm also trying to cut down on time spent on the Internet).
Plus, I don't have a regular DVD-player, only one on my computer. As it isn't the most comfortable thing to watch a DVD on a computer, I think I can wait a little longer.
Plus, I have most videos already when I taped them off MTV, etc. So I know what most of them look like. That's why I'm very happy there are so many extras on the DVD (director commentaries, documentaries, etc.). But if I really want to, I can still watch them on video.

But don't start questioning me too much, or I will rush out and buy the thing right away... :)

C ya!

Marty

I had similar reasons as Popmartijn for maybe waiting but heck my self control failed me and I'm happy it did:D
Picked it up today, 25Euro, it's great! Maybe the presentation on the actual DVD could have been a bit better, it's the same deal as the "History Mix" DVD intro wise and with the menus. But it's great value, loads of commentaries, haven't listened to them yet but seen that they are on almost every vid. And the vids, there is like 30+ including the different versions of "One", "Numb" etc.
I'm loving it because of the fact I'd never seen alot of the vids on this! And I'm nicely surprised with the US Stuck In A moment, you guys tore strips off that yeah?? WHY??? It's cheesy yeah, but it's funny, really simple and really cool! I love it! Definitely doesn't make me cringe! And GBHF is just class, Mofo is funkadelic(did they ever do a version like that live or is it just a total montage/remix???) and Please is another I hadn't seen much before, great vid.

THTBA is the non-Orbit version(although there's a few of them, this is the one filmed in the studio, quite like it!)

The documentaries, while short, a brilliant, especially the Missing Sarajevo one, really insightful on the whole situation with Sarajevo and how U2 got so involved, charting the whole story from 92-97. U2 Sur Mer is funny, and the making of One is great, so I LOVE this DVD:yes:

Other info...umm.....it's got a random video viewer and a playlist where it just plays em all straight through but that's it with regards features! Anyway, must get back to flicking through this monster, meant to be around 3 hours in total!

do any of you know if the Love IS Blindness video is on there??

I get a kick out of these "DEFINITIVE" releases, especially when it is not all true; and I dont mean to sound like a pesky brat but the Love is Blindness video is absolutly beautiful. and I show it to everyone that shows any interest in U2.

also, is the Anton Corbijn version of Please on the DVD or is it the Live one on the Promo DVD from the GH 90-00

thanks.

lazyboy said:
I had similar reasons as Popmartijn for maybe waiting but heck my self control failed me and I'm happy it did:D
Picked it up today, 25Euro, it's great! Maybe the presentation on the actual DVD could have been a bit better, it's the same deal as the "History Mix" DVD intro wise and with the menus. But it's great value, loads of commentaries, haven't listened to them yet but seen that they are on almost every vid. And the vids, there is like 30+ including the different versions of "One", "Numb" etc.
I'm loving it because of the fact I'd never seen alot of the vids on this! And I'm nicely surprised with the US Stuck In A moment, you guys tore strips off that yeah?? WHY??? It's cheesy yeah, but it's funny, really simple and really cool! I love it! Definitely doesn't make me cringe! And GBHF is just class, Mofo is funkadelic(did they ever do a version like that live or is it just a total montage/remix???) and Please is another I hadn't seen much before, great vid.

THTBA is the non-Orbit version(although there's a few of them, this is the one filmed in the studio, quite like it!)

The documentaries, while short, a brilliant, especially the Missing Sarajevo one, really insightful on the whole situation with Sarajevo and how U2 got so involved, charting the whole story from 92-97. U2 Sur Mer is funny, and the making of One is great, so I LOVE this DVD:yes:

Other info...umm.....it's got a random video viewer and a playlist where it just plays em all straight through but that's it with regards features! Anyway, must get back to flicking through this monster, meant to be around 3 hours in total!

Thanks for the info! It sounds great. I don't own a dvd player...my brother has one on his computer, so that's where I'll be watching mine when it comes out!

Also...the US Stuck in a Moment video is actually really cool if you watch it far too many times like I did...It's all inside jokes from "Welcome to the Unforgettable Fire Dome" on. As far as I can tell on my grainy, poorly-taped VHS, there's an ad for Trabants during one of the kicking scenes. I'll have to see it on dvd to be sure. I still don't get the pink bunny or Edge falling down the stairs, but I don't think they refer to anything anyway.

Back
Top Bottom