Sid Meier's Random Music Talk CIV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The production is far too polished for my taste and his songwriting is hit or miss, but Buckley's voice is amazing and I really dig his sound overall. He could have made a top notch followup with the right producer.

My favourite Jeff Buckley song is the dirty-as-fuck 'I Know We Could Be Happy Baby (If We Wanted to Be)' from that cobbled together posthumous 'album'. And as I recall it wasn't even the album, album, it was the bonus disc. Anyway I like that track. It's broken and desperate.

Actually I think Mojo Pin is the worst song on Grace, but I've pretty well decided I don't particularly like Grace. It was one of those mid/late nineties moments that are supposed to be special and just kind of aren't. Even in death, Jeff has faded remarkably.

Now if only Hallelujah would fade away. It's like a required song for any tv show that wants to use a dramatic music montage at the end, though.

It used to be either 'Last Goodbye' or 'Hallelujah' that would fit the spot on any mainstream show's big emotional crescendo episode.

Just listened to Tarkus by ELP. I was told it was one of the 1,001 albums I must hear before I die.

I feel like I would've been ok without it.

I have no idea who the incredible jimmy smith was, or what his back to the chicken shack sounds like. But I do think I gained a new understanding of where he band Jimmy's chicken shack got their name after looking at that list.

Lists like that are stupid, not just because no one, I repeat no one, needs to hear a Louis Prima album before they die (in fact, I'm sure studies have proven that people die much happier having never listened to the man's music). But because this whole listen to an album once, quantity quantity quantity thing you guys do. More power to you if you form any sort of worthwhile opinion sitting through an album once at a random point in your life. Nothing would ever stick for me if I tried to methodically listen to every album ever recommended on any giant list like a few of you do. I'd get wrapped up in the "690 left!" And would probably get even more pissed off at shitty music than I normally do because it might tell me I need to hear a kraftwerk album or some Stevie Wonder.

In my entire life, I've gotten to this point, so that's nice and all. I think I've actively been using the list as a guide for about three years now, so I'm definitely not just plowing right through it.

I'm saying I would do something ridiculous like try to plow through it, and I'd be miserable about it. It makes no sense to me how you'd discover music that way because it wouldn't work for me. I'm not really saying there's anything wrong with it, I just don't get it.

I'm still kicking myself for mixing up son volt and sun kil moon, which gump's DI list corrected me of.

There are better ELP albums.

Oh, I'm quite sure. That's one of those albums I've always wanted to hear based on cover art alone.

I haven't heard this new Stars album since the week it came out, but boy oh boy is it as good as I remembered.

It flew under just about everyone's radar. I'll never understand why that band wasn't bigger.

I haven't heard this new Stars album since the week it came out, but boy oh boy is it as good as I remembered.

Apart from Trap Door, that album really isn't doing half as much for me as the last two albums did.

I probably should have given this its own thread:

Scott Stapp is broke and living in a hotel and went without food for two days:

Scott Stapp, Creed Frontman, Says He's Broke and Homeless - Us Weekly

From TMZ:

Scott Stapp -- the lead singer of Creed and one of the most successful frontmen in the '90s -- says the government has stolen his money and now he's so desperate, he can't afford rent or even food.

Stapp just posted a 15-minute cry for help on his Facebook page, saying the IRS has frozen his accounts and the banks have conspired to rob him of his fortune.

The singer says his wife -- who has filed for divorce -- is trying to get him committed, falsely accusing him of doing meth and showing signs of paranoia. Her divorce docs reportedly contain text messages from Stapp which say, among other things, "Florida is not safe. Biological weapons on the way."

Stapp sent another text which read, "I wouldn't doubt it if the CIA is behind Alcoholics Anonymous." And he warns, "God created you and now God is ending you."

I didn't care for the new Stars album. Although to be honest, I did initially like the two albums of theirs I have, and while I like the songs, I can't listen to them for very long before the two lead voices start really annoying me.

So I guess I really don't like Stars all that much. :(

The other night we were listening to older tracks from the Budos Band on youtube as dinner was cooking, and Shaolin Afronauts came up as a recommendation. So we listened to them. Holy cow! They sounded great! Have any of you been holding out on me about these guys?

Stapp seems reasonably sober in that video, but he's probably fucked up pretty often if those texts are anything to go by. I hate his music and he's been a real douche for a long time, but it's still sad.

Back
Top Bottom