Sid Meier's Random Music Talk CIV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If practically the entire middle third of the album were taken out, it could compete with Before Today.

But even with all the filler, it's definitely better than Mature Themes.

Last edited:
I will actually explode with joy if Ride reunite. "Leave Them All Behind" is the definition of everything that is perfect about shoegaze.

I know my AFI fandom has taken a massive nose dive when I'm finding out right now that Davey and Jade released a straightedge album today under the moniker of Xtrmst.

I didn't even know about that.

What are they doing? Holy shit...

EDIT: Listening to the lead single now...I'm not even sure I can finish this.

Oh fuck, I thought you were saying a new Ride song was awful. A straight edge AFI single being awful is far less surprising.

Only 1/3 of the way through it, and I already like more songs on it than I did on Before Today.

It's a staggering achievement, maybe Album of the Year for me. Loose, jaunty, but doesn't overstay its welcome for a double album. "Picture Me Gone" is a stunner & goofy jams like "Jell-O" and "Sexual Aesthetics" match the highs of Before Today for me.

Mature Themes has a lot going for it, especially that re-working of "Baby." Any record that has an ode to fucking schnitzels deserves a seat at the table.

What do you think?

Is it a good place to start? I remember being a bit soured on him because everyone looooooooooved Round and Round and I found it completely underwhelming and he seems like a fucking dick, but I've excused plenty of other artists for that.

If you don't like "Put Your Number on My Phone" or "Shower Me in Lipstick," then you can officially pass.

I didn't even know about that.

What are they doing? Holy shit...

EDIT: Listening to the lead single now...I'm not even sure I can finish this.

I listened to the three songs they released before the album. While I guess it's not vastly different than the direction they were going with Shut Your Mouth And Open Your Eyes, it does seem a bit jarring to hear them do this kind of thing now. Davey still has a great scream for this kind of thing, but it kinds seems pretty silly to hear rich 39 year olds fight against "conformists".

I think it's awesome they keep doing so many different kinds of side projects though. Whether the side projects have worked or not, it's cool they've kept making music at a frequency similar to their early days.

Back
Top Bottom