Remember the 80's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
night_and_day66 said:
I cant believe nobody remembered Back to the Future.

I guess you all became assholes or something.

:eyebrow:

:wink:

I did! I posted about it, but I called it BTFF.

My brother and I would watch Back to the Future or Ghostbusters at LEAST once a week.

Live Aid was the highlight of my summer. My dad put it on the stereo while we watched it on TV, and taped the audio. I remember trying to help him think of the names of the songs (neither of us are very good at that), and then throwing a tantrum to stay up late so I could watch everyone sing my favorite song at the time, We are the World, at the end.

My dad worked nights when I was little, and he would come home at 8 am, eat a TV dinner, and watch MTV. I loved sitting with him and watching the videos and trying to get him to let me eat his dessert before I'd even had breakfast.

The best birthday parties were at roller rinks or bowling alleys.

I liked the 80's. :D

interior_logo.gif

Event Highlights:

* 7 million people joined hands from the East Coast to the West Coast

* More than 800 Celebrities participated

* There were 30 National Corporate Sponsors & hundreds of local business involved.

* In New York local Baseball teams held hands with fans across the stadiums.

* In Pittsburgh Nuns joined hands with Hell's Angels in front of a sign that read "Hang Tough"

* In New Jersey, a bride and groom got married in the Hands line with family and friends

* In Texas migrant workers organized a 51-mile Hands line

* In New Mexico, Indian tribes held a Hands Pow-Wow

* In California the line went through the Crystal Cathedral and 1000 churches participated

* In blistering heat people stood in line through the deserts of Texas, New Mexico & Arizona

* People linked boats across lakes and rivers and held hands from them

May 26th. 1986

*I was on top of my motorcycle, while holding hands* :lol:

Someone mentioned Levi's. Back in the day, they only came in 'shrink to fit'. I was afraid to buy them because what if they didn't fit. They were supposed to shrink a certain amount in the waist and the length.

Lila64 said:
I worked in a record store in the early 80s, so I remember importing all the new bands, like U2, Echo & The Bunnymen, Ultravox, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Simple Minds, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Tears For Fears, Psychedelic Furs,...I could go on & on.

Oh I wished I worked in a record store in the 80's, instead I spent a lot of time lurking in them and listening to and buying said above named artists. And wearing some sad new romantic clothes. :sigh: And spending most of the decade backcombing my hair to look like Robert Smith. Or Siobhan from Bananarama. :cute: And my very first concert was Duran Duran :heart: And staying up till past 3 am to watch U2's set on Live Aid (bleedin time differences :mad: ). And taping it on cassette cos we didn't own a video. :angry: And my friend who DID have a video then taped over U2's set with an episode of "Days of our Lives!!!!!!! :scream:

God I miss the 80s....

Lila64 said:
Someone mentioned Levi's. Back in the day, they only came in 'shrink to fit'. I was afraid to buy them because what if they didn't fit. They were supposed to shrink a certain amount in the waist and the length.

My cousins would wear them around wet so they'd dry form fitting to your body. I was afraid to because I read a story in the paper about a Swedish girl who'd fallen asleep in her tight, wet jeans to make them fit at closely as possible, but they cut off her blood circulation in her legs and around her waist and she ended up crippled.

-Ra-ra skirts & flouro socks. I'd swap with my sister so we'd each have mismatching socks.
-Walkmans. We thought we were so flash when we had one with tape AND radio, yeah! Listening to your tapes so often that they stretched and the songs went really slow. :dance:
-Stonewash denim jacket with matching jeans. Team with a Johnny Farnham mullet and you were set.
-Taping Rage overnight and watching it the next day.
-Videos that you loaded from the top.
-Big M scented hula hoops.
-THe D-Generation.
I feel old now. I think I'll go for a nanna nap.:corn:

I went from 9 to 18 in the 80's.... if given the choice, I don't think there's another decade that I'd have chosen to grow up in. There was so much good music - even if a lot of came w/reaaaalllly bad hair & clothes :ohmy: ; personal computers were coming on the scene & causing a lot of excitement; people were fired up about trying to make a difference for the less fortunate - Hands Across America, Band Aid, Live Aid, Comic Relief, etc. etc.

I saw some amazing things, too - both tragic & wonderful. The Challenger disaster; the wall coming down in East Berlin; communism falling in Russia & the realization they didn't want to nuke us to kingdom come ('Do the Russians love their children,too?'); Geraldine Ferraro running for VP (take your pick on that one - 'tragic' or 'wonderful', LOL!); John Lennon's murder - I could go on & on.

I would never trade my life now to relive my teenage years, but I would go back for short visits in a heartbeat if that were possible! :D

cinnaminson said:
-Ra-ra skirts & flouro socks.
-Taping Rage overnight and watching it the next day.
-THe D-Generation.
I feel old now. I think I'll go for a nanna nap.:corn:

:laugh:
I wore a ra-ra skirt to my year 9 social - thought I looked SO cool
I have SO many videos of Rage it's ridiculous - of course now I don't have a vcr to watch them on
and D-Gen was THE best show on tv.

What about bubblegum jeans? I remember finally conning my parents into letting me get a pair. I loved them SO much. I used to sneak them to school in my bag and get changed into them when i got to school :reject:

Back
Top Bottom