NFL Playoffs pool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mcnair isnt a pussy, but he's banged up and im sure hell get more banged up. he did throw 3 INts vs. the ravens last week, but we'll have to wait and see.

i know its going to be 1 degree here friday night, and im about 80 minutes away from foxboro. forecast for saturday is a little warmer, i think.

Yay COLTS!! :yes: :happy: :hyper: :dance: :up: Hey don't begrudge us Colts fans, we've waited and suffered a long time!

I hope you guys didn't bet any real money on this :shifty:

That's good. It's too easy to lose money that way. My brother came in second in his fantasy league and won $80, but he had paid over $200 in fees, so he still lost! Only one guy comes out ahead. It's not worth it. I'd never bet money since nothing is ever a sure thing. Those $1 football pools my Dad used to bring home from work were fun, but I wouldn't bet more than that!

Standings after divisional round:
StlElevation: 64
Pinball Wizard: 62
Headache: 60
Hewson: 59
Elvis P: 53
Chizip: 52
U2Me3: 52 (Chizip and U2me3 may go down to a tiebreaker)

Comments: Quite a weekend for the NFL, 2 OT games. If you do the Pete Rose thing, all 4 underdogs coverd, 2 winning outright.
Did Mike Martz not look like a jackass with his celebration when Kasay missed in OT?? Lovie Smith should skip the 2nd interview in Chi-Town and be given the head job in St Louis. First down at the 16, 39 seconds, 1 timeout left, you spike the ball. Then you take a shot into the endzone, a safe route that even Marc "Pick" Bulger can't be picked on. Then if its incomplte, you cross them up with a Faulk draw on 3rd down, maybe score, or get the ball closer, call your timeout and go to OT. To play the way he did sends a message to his players and especially to "Pick", we aren't good enough to score a TD from the 16.
Brett Favre's 4 week run of hanging the ball up for grabs finally bit him in the ass in OT, he wasn't throwing against the Raiders' toast secondary today.
The Panthers look a lot like the 2001 Patriots...don't overlook them.
Can't wait to see what Belichik has in store for Peyton Sunday...should be fun.

mike martz indeed looked horrific... but lovie smith's defense got burned on the ground despite stephen davis missing most of the game. but back to martz... how in the hell do you let the clock tick down in regulation? they could've spiked the ball and taken two shots at the end zone to try and win in regulation. and spiking the ball would've saved their last time out, so they could've tried a play down the middle and didn't just have to gun it into the endzone or towards the sideline. you play to win the game, not tie it and send it to overtime. martz fartz.

what peyton manning and the colts offense has done is simply remarkable. 2 games played, 0 punts. if appears as if the big 3 of peyton, edge james and marvin harrison are finally living up to their potential... and if they play close to the way they've played in the first two games, i don't think they'll be beaten. that being said, my declaration of the colts as my new team to go to the super bowl will damn them, seeing as i am the black kiss of death when it comes to picking winners. :shrug:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
what peyton manning and the colts offense has done is simply remarkable. 2 games played, 0 punts. if appears as if the big 3 of peyton, edge james and marvin harrison are finally living up to their potential... and if they play close to the way they've played in the first two games, i don't think they'll be beaten.

:dance: :happy:

that being said, my declaration of the colts as my new team to go to the super bowl will damn them, seeing as i am the black kiss of death when it comes to picking winners. :shrug:

No, that would me ME. That's why I'm not going to say it :shifty::silent:

Of course the Pats have won 11 of 13 vs the Colts, and Belichick and staff usually do a decent job defending Peyton and Co.
Makes for a compelling matchup.
If I were a Colts fan I'd be a bit worried about what Charlie Weis and Tom Brady have in store, lets not forget that the Chiefs never punted yesterday either. The Colts won cause of a Holmes fumble and Morten Andersen missed FG, not their stout defense.

Hewson said:
Of course the Pats have won 11 of 13 vs the Colts, and Belichick and staff usually do a decent job defending Peyton and Co.
Makes for a compelling matchup.
If I were a Colts fan I'd be a bit worried about what Charlie Weis and Tom Brady have in store, lets not forget that the Chiefs never punted yesterday either. The Colts won cause of a Holmes fumble and Morten Andersen missed FG, not their stout defense.

:up:

and the pats won on the leg of adam vinatieri ... aaaaagain... so it's not like the pats offense was just stellar against the titans... and the chefs offense is far superior to that of the patriots.

the only thing i'd worry about on the colts side is over-confidence on the offensive end. belichik always comes up with something interesting on the defensive side of the ball... and with manning baisicly making the play calls on the line of scrimmage, it could get very interesting to see if the pats can put together a defense that can confuse an offense that's meant to confuse the defense :scratch: yea i think that's right

should be a fun game, and whoever wins should win the super bowl... i'm not crazy over carolina or philly

and back to vinatieri... there have been some great kickers out there, but i can't remember anyone who time and again comes in and hits clutch field goals that he probably has no business making. that damn ball was a block of ice. he tried one from the same distance earlier in the game and missed horrificly. but come clutch time, he just booted that brick of a football right through the up-rights... just like he did in the super bowl, just like he did in the "snow bowl." he's almost like the mariano rivera of the nfl. when he comes in at the end of the game, you almost know it's over. a big :up: to adam vinatieri
a_vinatieri_i.jpg

Last edited:
i lost my voice cussing out mike martz as those last seconds ticked off

i couldnt believe it, if he doesnt trust bulger to throw the ball 15 yards then he shouldnt be the qb

and lovie smith is overrated, i wont be sad to see him go, i could predict every time carolinma would run a draw and yet we never stopped it. they ran a draw on 3rd and 14 and got a first down that lead to a touchdown. its called adjustments, why dont ya look into it.

this is not to mention giving up a 70 yard pass on 3rd and 14 in double overtime. never have sehorn as your last line of defense. its sad.

oh and gambling is great, as long as you do it smartly

taking risks in life are what make it exciting

I think the Pats looked weak and average against the Titans, a game the Titans could easily taken if not for a stupid 'grounding' penalty and a few other lame misses. Oh and the Chiefs also got that lucky breakaway runback. Even though I believe in defense, there is something to be said for an awesome offense and outscoring people. A 51-49 victory is just as successful as a 51-10 one, the result is the same. As long as my team pulls it out, I don't care how much yardage they gave up. But it does make the game more stressful!

On gambling, I'm glad Headache has learned young not to waste money that way. :angel: He's not even renewing his premium membership until he pays off his Christmas bills. Chizip, I have suffered much financially, am bankrupt and live in a crap neighborhood thanks to my 'exciting' and 'risk' and 'what the hell you only live once' philosophy of my younger days. It was stupid. Hold onto your money. Nothing is 'exciting' about being broke and miserable in your 30's. If you don't believe me you'll have to find out the hard way, while Headache already knows better.

While Vinatieri is good, no one is better than Vanderjadt (okay so I misspelled it) The Colts' kicker is flawless this year, and can hit easily from 50+. I'd take him in a crunch over anyone in the league.

thats why i said smartly

calculated risks where the gain outweighs the risk of loss is good, stupid risks are, well, stupid

Lets see how vanderjagt kicks in Foxboro Sunday.
The Colts played 1 game in a cold weather city this year, Buffalo, and it was a record 70 F on Nov 23 in Buffalo.
The coldest game the Colts played was last Sunday's 55 degree ice bowl in KC.

before anyone canonizes me...

i never got into sports gambling because i played college basketball and it was an ncaa violation. playing on the d3 level, i'm sure i never would've been caught... but i just didn't even want to take the slight risk. on the other hand, betting on the horsies isn't an ncaa violation... so whenever the triple crown came around... giddiup partner.

I really never saw how weather was that much of a factor since the guys on the teams come from all over the place. Like people used to say Marino couldn't do anything in the cold because he was a Dolphin, but he grew up in Pittsburgh and played his college ball there. It might not even be cold on Sunday. But if the Colts had just made that fourth down play against the Pats last time they played the game would be in Indianapolis. Or they could have not lost to Jacksonville. I still think they're the hotter team and the Patriots are very average right now. Anything can happen in any game.

BTW anybody but me old enough to remember the dreaded "snow plow" game from the early 80's?

Yes he did light a fire under the whole team's asses last year by complaining he didn't think Peyton, Dungy or some others were trying hard enough. I was afraid he'd be cut, but they didn't get mad they realized he was right and it's helped them!

If he hasn't done anything in the clutch yet, it means it's never come down to him because they were so far ahead they didn't need a field goal. Maybe he will get a chance to prove himself this week!

If they win I will change my sig from Bono in the bed to the most heroic player in action, that's my bet;)

U2Kitten said:

BTW anybody but me old enough to remember the dreaded "snow plow" game from the early 80's?
I believe it was Dec 1982, can't remember the guys name, but he was on work release from prison plowing the yard markers and during a timeout, strayed from his path to plow a spot for John Smith's winning field goal for a 3-0 Pats win over the Dolphins. Yeah I'm old enough. In fact I watched it from my freshman college dorm room, how's that for old?

U2Kitten said:
Or they could have not lost to Jacksonville.
The game would still be in Foxboro. remeber that the "Average" Patriots finished 14-2(and now on a 13 game winning streak) while the superior Colts were 12-4.

Back
Top Bottom