NFL 2014, Part 2: Boom Shakalaka

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's been a lot of talk about RG3 lately, maybe maybe too much talk. This man is not a quarterback, he's a fumbler, bloody fumbler.

Well, the Vikes are done for another season and I owe Mikal a 6 pack.... Milwaukee's best on it's way...

As a Giants fan I just get excited for the Odell show every week and dream of next year. BTW the Bears are garbage.

Oh my God, I'm dying. Jon Gruden saying that a coach has to back up their quarterback. A hahaha. Have you had this chat with your brother? Holy shit.

Yep Odell is a fantastic receiver and hey we have another bright spot, we don't have Jay Cutler on our teams, wow doesn't he/Bears stink?

The Giants were in tatters before the season started. David Wilson had to retire. now we have 18 players on IR. ODB is a game changer. Him and Cruz will tear it up. next season.

The OL can be the main focus for FA and draft. D-Line too. I'll let go of JPP, he never recovered from injuries to his rookie form. We can't run cause the line sucks. Might be in a good draft location to pick up DE/LB Shane Ray Missouri in the 1st round.

Would RG3 work in Kelly's system?
I think he sucks, personally. But I don't know if Eagles fans would think that's a good fit or not.
His mechanics have regressed to a point where I have a tough time believing he can still be a starter in this league. Whether it's due to injuries, coaching, attitude, all three ... he's nothing more than a reclamation project to his next team. There will certainly be an appeal among a segment of Eagles fans because he's "more of a Chip style quarterback," but the Eagles just need someone who can make some good decisions and throws.

I've resigned myself to the idea that the "best case" scenario is taking Blake Sims in the third round and making something out of him. My greater suspicion is that the Eagles never get the right QB and Chip leaves for another NFL team with a QB and wins a Super Bowl there.

When you think about it, for the league turning into such a "Passing League" and the college game really starting to morph into one as well, I'm surprised that the overall QB play in the NFL isn't better. There are about 4 elite QB's, probably about 10 QB's in the next tier that occasionally "win games" for their teams, and the rest are just pretty bad.

It's not that surprising. Quarterbacks require more skills than any other position: arm strength, throw accuracy, decision making, athleticism, size, durability, leadership. And it's by far the hardest position to coach. The combination of limited talent combinations that work and squandered talent by coaching staffs not up to the task means there just aren't going to be many. We're lucky if there are 10 quarterbacks in a season who "could" lead their team to a Super Bowl, and really lucky if five are "franchise guys."

We also fetishize winning championships to the point where it blinds us to the abilities of certain quarterbacks. I think it's clear that Joe Flacco and Eli Manning, despite winning three Super Bowls between them, are far from Hall of Fame talents (I suspect that Eli will sneak in and it will be a joke). I still wonder if Russell Wilson is going to be able to continue his success long-term, though I have to give him a bit of a pass with that garbage receiving corps Seattle has thrown out on the field this season.

Green Bay has the best quarterback situation in the league simply because of the couple of elite quarterbacks there are, he's the youngest.

It's not that surprising. Quarterbacks require more skills than any other position: arm strength, throw accuracy, decision making, athleticism, size, durability, leadership. And it's by far the hardest position to coach. The combination of limited talent combinations that work and squandered talent by coaching staffs not up to the task means there just aren't going to be many. We're lucky if there are 10 quarterbacks in a season who "could" lead their team to a Super Bowl, and really lucky if five are "franchise guys."

We also fetishize winning championships to the point where it blinds us to the abilities of certain quarterbacks. I think it's clear that Joe Flacco and Eli Manning, despite winning three Super Bowls between them, are far from Hall of Fame talents (I suspect that Eli will sneak in and it will be a joke). I still wonder if Russell Wilson is going to be able to continue his success long-term, though I have to give him a bit of a pass with that garbage receiving corps Seattle has thrown out on the field this season.

Green Bay has the best quarterback situation in the league simply because of the couple of elite quarterbacks there are, he's the youngest.

Yeah, for sure. Makes you wonder if some of that will change pretty soon though. From what I've read, a lot of high schools have really started to morph into passing teams. If you have the right programs teaching the right skills early in age, then we might start to see some more true pocket passers in the next 10 years. The problem is, how are the kids being taught? Are they being taught the correct habits? I look at American Tennis being behind the rest of the world because they many youth programs didn't focus on footwork and instead became too crazed with the "big serve" mentality that was going on in the 90's.

Agree that Green Bay has the best QB situation. The other day after the Bills loss my friend asked me how pissed I'd be if Rodger's only Super Bowl was the 2010 victory, and I replied "Ask a Lions fan how they feel about the question you just asked." One Super Bowl during a QB's tenure is great as it is. Anything else before he retires is icing on the cake.

This week's Thursday Night Football ratings:

THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL NFLN 8:26 PM
Viewership (000s, Live+SD) 4.854
Adults 18-49 rating (Live+SD) 1.6

Last week's Thursday Night Football Ratings:

THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL NFLN 8:27 PM
Viewership (000s, Live+SD) 7669
Adults 18-49 rating (Live+SD) 2.4

...wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back