Interference Random Music Talk Pt XVII-Lance's Mom Ed.-Jizz the Bang and the Splatter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's funny you say this because most of my friends in real life, in fact, almost all of them, wouldn't know even one "indie" band from the past 15 years. And, of course, my tastes and theirs intersect at numerous points, because like most music lovers, my tastes vary and are not limited to one genre or broad label.

And that's exactly why I like this sub-forum, so I can get pointed towards bands I'd normally never come across. I probably like 3, maybe 4 in 10, but that's still me operating in the black, and I'm thankful for it.

Guys like Zoots are great and all, but I don't think he ever once named a song, album or band that I hand't already heard of and had an opinion of. That's not a bad thing, of course...there's nothing wrong with talking about Bon Jovi (take it easy, Laz) with fellow fans....it's just that I can engineer that sort of discussion with just about anyone.

In many ways, I think that's why music forums like this tend to focus more on smaller bands / independent artists. I can discuss bands I like that everyone knows about with my friends and people at work, you need the internet to find other fans of smaller lesser known acts.

One of my co-workers found a great new band last year, and "was going to be so pissed" at me if I'd already heard of them. Of course, I'd seen them open for U2 three times, and had seen them headline at the Greek already.

Yes, her new band was Kings of Leon.

That's why I come to B&C. :|

I can only speak for myself here, but I check maybe three sites for music regularly. That's not every nook and cranny. If anything, it's easier to find things more quickly with the internet than with radio. And, I tend to get excited about somebody at least once a month...that's why I seek out music. I love that feeling of finding something that hits just right, that clicks, that I want to hear over and over again.

Who, other than the Pearl Jams, Nirvanas, and potentially Pavements, came out of the '90s indie scene and is still relevant today? I anticipate the indie scene of today will be similar—a few make it out, but the vast majority fall into obscurity again.

I really don't think the scenes are that much different. People across the country were making music in their garages or bedrooms in the '90s too. What IS different is the fact that anybody and everybody can record music, upload it, and possibly find an audience today. Does that "water down" the industry? Maybe. But, if you're looking at it from a freedom of information point of view, it's simply amazing. There's absolutely no precedent for this kind of sharing of creativity before the internet.

If that's been your experience, that's great. Mine's just different. :)

It's funny you say this because most of my friends in real life, in fact, almost all of them, wouldn't know even one "indie" band from the past 15 years. And, of course, my tastes and theirs intersect at numerous points, because like most music lovers, my tastes vary and are not limited to one genre or broad label.

And that's exactly why I like this sub-forum, so I can get pointed towards bands I'd normally never come across. I probably like 3, maybe 4 in 10, but that's still me operating in the black, and I'm thankful for it.

Guys like Zoots are great and all, but I don't think he ever once named a song, album or band that I hand't already heard of and had an opinion of. That's not a bad thing, of course...there's nothing wrong with talking about Bon Jovi (take it easy, Laz) with fellow fans....it's just that I can engineer that sort of discussion with just about anyone.

Yeah, the funny thing is, I trust the judgment of the people who post in this forum for the most part, and although I'm not a frequent contributor, when I see a thread about a new band, or read one of the many best of lists posted, I run off to listen to whoever, but inevitably, it just falls flat for me. It's really disappointing, I wish I could be as enthusiastic as you guys, but if I don't feel it, there's no point forcing it.

Again, I know this isn't a popular opinion around here, but I'm ready for the next big thing.

One of my co-workers found a great new band last year, and "was going to be so pissed" at me if I'd already heard of them. Of course, I'd seen them open for U2 three times, and had seen them headline at the Greek already.

Yes, her new band was Kings of Leon.

That's why I come to B&C. :|

That's just sad.

My dad once asked me how I found all the music I listen to. I really didn't know how to answer that. I would love it if my friends listened to the same music as me instead of hating it. But I'd rather listen to good music than listen to theirs.

If that's been your experience, that's great. Mine's just different. :)

Yeah, the funny thing is, I trust the judgment of the people who post in this forum for the most part, and although I'm not a frequent contributor, when I see a thread about a new band, or read one of the many best of lists posted, I run off to listen to whoever, but inevitably, it just falls flat for me. It's really disappointing, I wish I could be as enthusiastic as you guys, but if I don't feel it, there's no point forcing it.

Again, I know this isn't a popular opinion around here, but I'm ready for the next big thing.

To me, trying new music and disliking it cannot be questioned. If you don't like it, you don't like it, I really try not to argue taste (and sometimes fail, sure, but in general that's just how I approach it).

It's the people who talk about how all new music sucks, yet they've hardly tried to actually listen to anything even relatively new that irk me a little.

I have a strong affinity for Guns N' Roses. I just do, especially their first album. I remember starting a thread in here, talking about how I liked them and how there was not nearly enough music of that variety in my life at the moment, and could anyone recommend bands of that ilk. Well, people were kind enough (Scumbo and Shouter participated, if memory serves) to step up and make recommendations, and I checked out most, if not all of the bands that were mentioned. More or less hated it all. Yet some other recommendations from the very same people have turned out wonderfully for me.

I hope that a band comes along that fills that next big thing void for you.

My dad once asked me how I found all the music I listen to. I really didn't know how to answer that. I would love it if my friends listened to the same music as me instead of hating it. But I'd rather listen to good music than listen to theirs.

I remember when you wanted to expand your musical horizons and sought out albums and artists to listen to. I take it that you, as I, feel that you've come a long way musically, right?

I remember when you wanted to expand your musical horizons and sought out albums and artists to listen to. I take it that you, as I, feel that you've come a long way musically, right?
Indeed I do. I certainly don't feel like there's an "end" to doing so, but I feel much more in touch with the great music that's out today than I ever have. I'll continue to check out new stuff while delving into albums I haven't yet heard.

And the poor thing "doesn't like bands when they get popular."

She was so excited to see CRUE at Ozzfest this summer. :rockon:

The only person that even came close to a decent knowledge of music where I work was a co-worker's 25-year-old son. And I still knew more that him. And now he's gone off to finish college.

Yeah, I don't have a lot of friends who are into music one way or the other besides people I've met on here who live in the general area. My daughter was fairly plugged into the indie scene, along with a bunch of her friends, but lately, they seem more apathetic than me. She mainly listens to older music now, and has pretty much stopped exploring. She doesn't even like Vampire Weekend, so at least I'm one up on her, if that's any consolation.

If I had to listen to Crue for any length of time, I'd go batshit crazy and stab my eardrums out, which would at least solve the whole music issue for me. :)

Strangely enough, I still find out about new music mostly through the traditional printed media - music magazines or music sections in newspapers and general magazines. Where internet really made a difference for me is the chance to listen to the bands/artists who caught my eye and find out whether I'm interested or not, and as a consequence I'm buying less dud CDs.

I also try to not get caught up too much in this chase for new, where the constant search and consumption of new music becomes almost more important than the actual music, if that makes sense. It's good sometimes to take a step back and actually spend time with albums and let them sink in, rather than go, oooh I must listen to this and this and this and this and this.

I also try to not get caught up too much in this chase for new, where the constant search and consumption of new music becomes almost more important than the actual music, if that makes sense. It's good sometimes to take a step back and actually spend time with albums and let them sink in, rather than go, oooh I must listen to this and this and this and this and this.
Same. I go through stretches where I acquire and listen to a ton of music, and then stretches (like this summer) where I just listen to albums I have already over and over again. I think I've only gotten like five new albums all summer, most of which were new this year.

The search for new music is never more important than listening to music, ever. At least for me. But god knows I enjoy seeking out new music when the mood strikes.

A buddy of mine asked me recently how I'm always listening to great new music. I told him that my cock is like a gigantic radio antenna that only picks up awesome tunes.

Fuck B&C.

My music purchasing has become almost compulsive, but I think that is mainly a function of how much high-quality music is available.

When I began listening to jazz, I purchased some Miles Davis and thought that he would suffice for my collection. Then I became interested in his sidemen, notably Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock. Then I found myself wanting to explore the catalogues of their sidemen. The whole thing was a spiral, but now, almost five years later, I am still finding incredible jazz. In that regard, the search for me is often just as enjoyable as the actual listening. It's the anticipation of what I might find.

Sounds much like how Dalton started out with normal visits to Lance's Mom, and eventually wound up paying to wear a crotchless Elvis Stojko-esque skating outfit while being peed on by various primates as a square dance caller rattles off lyrics of Dionne Warwick songs.

We all take our own journeys.

:shifty:

MAGNIFICOCK!!

elvis-stojko.jpg

Back
Top Bottom