I really don't like Kraft Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ntalwar said:
KD looks like good food for kids who don't know any better. I suspect prison inmates receive better food though.

nothing but gruel.

*browneyedgirl* said:

:love: with ketchup

Wait, do you use the ketchup as a substitute for the cheese, or do you mix the two together.

I have another box of KD left and I'm so desperate and so hungry that I might just eat the noodles and leave the cheese mix. :sad:

GibsonGirl said:

Wait, do you use the ketchup as a substitute for the cheese, or do you mix the two together.

I have another box of KD left and I'm so desperate and so hungry that I might just eat the noodles and leave the cheese mix. :sad:

Nope, you still add the cheese to the noodles and then put the ketchup on top. I don't like it this way but my hubby does.

yeah, you make it with the cheese powder first with the milk and butter then you put ketchup on top or you dip it in the ketchup
:drool: but unfortunately it's definitely not a diet food

GibsonGirl said:

In other words, my present situation. :lol:

I just had instant oatmeal for supper. :|

Microwave meals are expensive here, especially considering the size and the junk they put in them. They aren't popular, are they over there? I'd much prefer to make a big salad or have eggs with beans and toast which is cheaper and you'll always have leftovers to rustle up something else later.

stir fry veg, cook for a few minutes, add some noodles then throw in a sauce. delicious, healthy and won't clog up your arteries.

:drool:

I don't really like pasta either and I only have the wholegrain kind. I'm a really fussy eater.

Lara Mullen said:

Microwave meals are expensive here, especially considering the size and the junk they put in them. They aren't popular, are they over there?

Depends on what you mean by "microwave meal". Michaelinas brand range from $0.69 - $1.15 (mac 'n cheese, lasagna, pasta & alfredo sauce, etc). The non-microwaveable Kraft mac 'n cheese is $1 a box here and the generic is $0.44. That's a meal for two adults or a whole passel of kids for $0.44. Top Ramen (which can be cooked stove top or microwaved) is usually 5 packs for $1. This kind of stuff is insanely popular, at least for college kids.

Salad = produce = FAR more expensive AND it will go bad before you can eat it all.

Raspberries are my absolute favorite food and for all but three months of the year, it costs at least $3 for handful sized container, and 1/3 of them are already rotten.

Liesje said:

Depends on what you mean by "microwave meal". Michaelinas brand range from $0.69 - $1.15 (mac 'n cheese, lasagna, pasta & alfredo sauce, etc). The non-microwaveable Kraft mac 'n cheese is $1 a box here and the generic is $0.44. That's a meal for two adults or a whole passel of kids for $0.44. Top Ramen (which can be cooked stove top or microwaved) is usually 5 packs for $1. This kind of stuff is insanely popular, at least for college kids.

Salad = produce = FAR more expensive AND it will go bad before you can eat it all.

Raspberries are my absolute favorite food and for all but three months of the year, it costs at least $3 for handful sized container, and 1/3 of them are already rotten.

Your food is a lot cheaper there.

A little lasagne here costs about $4-6. And last time I got raspberries they were £3 ($6).

There is only one KD fan in this house and it is the youngest mini fah and she prefers the Easy Mac to regular KD.

On a side note, I have vague memories of eating KD in the depths of college hangovers :shifty:

Ketchup :up:

I don't like ketchup, but for those that do, I hear it is also good in ramen. My college house was never out of ketchup, mac 'n cheese, and Top Ramen.

Real mac and cheese is so much easier to make than a lot of people think. It's not the healthiest thing in the world, but I don't make it often, and when I do, I usually mix in a bag of the frozen California blend veggies (broccoli/ cauliflower/carrots).

You can make the sauce in the time it takes the macaroni to boil. I usually make a whole box of macaroni, since it reheats well. Then just melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a pot, add about 2 tablespoons of flour and stir until it turns into a paste. Then whisk in about 2 cups of milk (I use skim and it turns out fine). Add whatever seasoning you want (I add ground mustard powder and cayenne pepper) and 1-2 cups shredded cheese (freshly grated from a larger brick is cheaper and melts better than preshredded). Stir to combine and toss with the macaroni when it's done.

I usually make a little more sauce than that, since I like my mac and cheese on the saucy side. Add a splash of milk to individual servings when you reheat.

Now I'm going to have to make that this week :drool:

Pinball Wizard said:
I don't know. It just tastes different to me. I think it might be the cheese.

:up: The Canadian cheese mix is sharper, from what I hear (an example of a nation’s cheese being very representative of its people).

Kraft Dinner is the national glue that binds us. I haven't had a bowl in months, but every time I do, I adhere to a few rigid guidelines: First, boil KD in water for exactly 7 minutes. Anything less will simply result in undercooked pasta. Anything longer and you’ll end up with limp noodles (and nobody likes a limp noodle). Secondly, use a pinch of salt (it makes the noodles slightly more buoyant, and less prone to clumping at the bottom of the pot). Next, after draining, timing is crucial...after letting the margarine/butter melt, pour in the same amount of milk, and then quickly mix in the cheese before too much cooling of the mixture has taken place. Finally, use a bowl, never a plate. Only the demented use plates.

Also, as a personal preference, ketchup is a must :drool: ...along with a dash of black pepper. (If, however, you have company over, or you're entertaining people from outside of North America, just go with the pepper. They won't understand the ketchup thing, and strange international conflicts could develop.)

GibsonGirl said:

In other words, my present situation. :lol:

I just had instant oatmeal for supper. :|

Another starving African :(

Don't North Americans cook? :huh:

I think the terrorists don't have much to worry about, all they need do is wait for Americans to eat Kraft Dinners and kill themselves all off. Easy! :up:

Lara Mullen said:

Your food is a lot cheaper there.

It is isn't it?! I'm actually quite shocked by the difference. $0.44? That's about 22p right? You'd really struggle to even be able to afford a bag of crisps for that price here. You could probably afford a really, really, small and cheap chocolate bar though :hmm:

But a ready meal? Forget it. In fact, for 22p your best bet would probably be a greengrocers. Forget the raspberries but it might just be enough for a single bannana or a small apple! ;)

As for this KD stuff...er...I can't say it really appeals to me. Melted cheese over pasta I don't think sounds revolting but microwaved melted cheese over pasta does. I just have visions of a Pot Noodle type product (as in- its nutritional value=nil) of cheap pasta smothered with cheese into a large congealed clump. Am I wrong?

TheQuiet1 said:

As for this KD stuff...er...I can't say it really appeals to me. Melted cheese over pasta I don't think sounds revolting but microwaved melted cheese over pasta does. I just have visions of a Pot Noodle type product (as in- its nutritional value=nil) of cheap pasta smothered with cheese into a large congealed clump. Am I wrong?

You're right, it's not melted cheese over pasta. It's plain pasta with a cheese sauce (a packet of dry stuff mixed with either milk and margarine, or just water). It's actually quite runny, not thick or creamy at all.

I will make some Kraft mac 'n cheese later on and show you...

TheQuiet1 said:
I just have visions of a Pot Noodle type product (as in- its nutritional value=nil) of cheap pasta smothered with cheese into a large congealed clump.

It has at least 5 essential nutrients, and is a great source of protein :angry:

Liesje said:
You're right, it's not melted cheese over pasta. It's plain pasta with a cheese sauce (a packet of dry stuff mixed with either milk and margarine, or just water). It's actually quite runny, not thick or creamy at all.

Mine is creamy. Sounds like you could have drainage issues, or perhaps too much milk? Another tip: when the mixture is prepared, leave it for a bit with the pot covered to increase congealing.

angelordevil said:

Mine is creamy. Sounds like you could have drainage issues, or perhaps too much milk? Another tip: when the mixture is prepared, leave it for a bit with the pot covered to increase congealing.

I hate it when it gets too congealed, b/c it feels really slimy and gross. If the noodles are sticking together, I don't like it. I use extra milk in the sauce. Also, I only eat spirals and it turns out far runnier than the microwave crap or the regular mac 'n cheese.

This is how we do it....

You start with the $1 box o' Spirals
Kraft%20Mac%20N%20Chz%20001.jpg

This is what the "cheese" comes in - it's a packet of orange powder.
Kraft%20Mac%20N%20Chz%20002.jpg

You boil the spirals
Kraft%20Mac%20N%20Chz%20004.jpg

Then drain 'em
Kraft%20Mac%20N%20Chz%20007.jpg

And put these things plus cheese packet into the pan and melt
Kraft%20Mac%20N%20Chz%20003.jpg

Kraft%20Mac%20N%20Chz%20005.jpg

Kraft%20Mac%20N%20Chz%20006.jpg

Voila!
Kraft%20Mac%20N%20Chz%20008.jpg

Yes, I was very bored today :grumpy:

Hi, my name is corianderstem. I'm 33 years old, and I really love a good box of Kraft macaroni and cheese. And I can polish off a whole box in no time flat.

I'm partial to the original type, but also like the spirals or the three-cheese kind. Anything that has noodles in shapes of cartoon characters or some lame thing will not do. They are inferior.

Any brand other than Kraft will also not do.

Save for a restaurant in West Seattle that specializes in comfort foods, I prefer Kraft over homemade macaroni and cheese.

Liesje said:
This is how we do it....

You start with the $1 box o' Spirals
Kraft%20Mac%20N%20Chz%20001.jpg

This is what the "cheese" comes in - it's a packet of orange powder.
Kraft%20Mac%20N%20Chz%20002.jpg

You boil the spirals
Kraft%20Mac%20N%20Chz%20004.jpg

Then drain 'em
Kraft%20Mac%20N%20Chz%20007.jpg

And put these things plus cheese packet into the pan and melt
Kraft%20Mac%20N%20Chz%20003.jpg

Kraft%20Mac%20N%20Chz%20005.jpg

Kraft%20Mac%20N%20Chz%20006.jpg

Voila!
Kraft%20Mac%20N%20Chz%20008.jpg

Yes, I was very bored today :grumpy:

No ifs, ands or Butter ...I love it! Pretty clever product name.

Your non-congealed spirals actually look quite delicious :drool:

I've just taken Lies's post and emailed it direct to Al-Quada. They're just gonna sit tight and wait till everyone's keeled over from Kraft Dinner poisoning. Well, if that won't do it straight away the "minced onion" and the "No ifs, and or butter" will add that finishing touch... :barf:

gotta say that Kraft mac and cheese will probably always be one of those foods that I will eat now and 20 years from now. whether it brings memories of childhood (one of my babysitters would always make that for us!) or just plain comfort food, I just love it. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom