I had no idea Aimee Mann sings that background vocal on "Time Stands Still" by Rush

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrBrau1

ONE love, blood, life
I had no idea Aimee Mann sings that background vocal on "Time Stands Still" by Rush

Ya learn something new every day.

I heard Aimee the other day at the grocery store singing a Christmas duet or something. Don't know what song or who the other singer was.

Zootlesque said:
I heard Aimee the other day at the grocery store singing a Christmas duet or something. Don't know what song or who the other singer was.

She put out a Xmas album last year.

Did "You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch" with Grant Lee Philips

moreyouknowzm4.jpg

MrBrau1 said:
"Prime Mover":drool:

Most of the people I know that love Rush are more old school about it, digging the really early stuff a lot more than post-Signals.....but, yes, Prime Mover is good shit...love the opening...I like High Water a lot, too....I don't know, Hold Your Fire is an underrated album in my humble opinion.

Hold Your Fire is probably their best album of their post-Signals 80's period.

And they are most definitely part of the progressive rock genre, although they veered away from it as the 80's went on. But good stuff throughout their entire career.

I liked their last 2 albums, actually. Especially Vapor Trails. Even the albums I did not like on the whole had their moments (Roll the Bones, Presto, Counterparts, Test for Echo) all have at least 2-3 songs I genuinely like.

No spoken words said:
I liked their last 2 albums, actually. Especially Vapor Trails. Even the albums I did not like on the whole had their moments (Roll the Bones, Presto, Counterparts, Test for Echo) all have at least 2-3 songs I genuinely like.

Same here. Starting with Presto, you could actually make a killer single disc with all the choice cuts through to the latest album.

rush are truly canada's most hysterical band.

honestly, as much as nickelback get blasted by people, i'm pretty sure more people make fun of rush.

aimee mann, on the other hand is a treat to listen to.

MrBrau1 said:

You think Rush are better at writing guitar/keyboard solos about trees and nymphs than writing songs about isolation and hope?

Perhaps you should listen to their entire catalogue first.

Your comments get stale on this topic, Brau. I'm gonna have to drive two and a half hours to the west and beat some sense into you one of these days.

phanan said:

uh, yes.

every time a song of their's came on the radio, the dj would shiver and make a crude remark, usually about geddy.

i can't speak for all canadians, but there's no question they take a lot of heat from people.

those who love rush, love them a lot, and those who hate rush hate them almost as much it would seem.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who can't stand Rush, but comparing them to a band like Nickelback is a stretch.

Even if most people don't like them, there is still general acknowledgement that they have at least one bonafide all-time classic album with Moving Pictures.

oh sorry, no i didn't mean it at all like.

rush are definitely nothing like nickelback in that regard. people generally recognize their talent (i'm sure it's there somewhere), whereas nickelback has none to begin with.

sorry to derail the thread.

phanan said:

Perhaps you should listen to their entire catalogue first.

Your comments get stale on this topic, Brau. I'm gonna have to drive two and a half hours to the west and beat some sense into you one of these days.

But I have. For 20 years. :|

Praising Rush for writing good songs is stale?:p

Last edited:
You were comparing their later songs to their earlier, more progressive ones. Their entire catalogue has some excellent records, including the earlier days, which I'm sure you don't like as much. So yes, even though you were being vague, your true meaning was very clear.

Don't get me wrong, because I love the later stuff as well. But it gets stale hearing the same thing over and over from you. We know you don't like progressive rock, so just refrain from the lovely quips about it.

I listened to Presto for the first time in years and years a few months back.

'The Pass' =:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

It would be hard to find a better song they've done than that one. Also, 'Bravado' from Roll The Bones is a great song, almost U2-ish.

'Marathon' from Power Windows :drool: :drool:
not real well known probably but I always loved that song

Back
Top Bottom