Ever wonder WHY?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
I was typing some roman numerals today and wonderd "WHY" the roman numeral for 9 is written IX instead of VIIII.

:scratch:

Well, why does the Arabic numeral that corresponds to "nine" look like this: "9"?

Quite frankly, if it were culturally determined, "nine" could look like any sort of symbol: "}," "?," etc.

I would suggest a book on semiotics for such inquisitive thoughts, and it is a very good question.

Melon

Dad And I Are Boring...

Know what I wonder? Actually, Dad and me have been wondering this...we had a conversation recently...it went something like this...

BC: *removing product from packaging where it was stuck with that squishy adhesive stuff*

BC's Dad: Wow...isn't that amazing how it sticks like that?

BC: Yeah...*peels off sticky adhesive and rolls it up in ball*

BC's Dad: Like, who do you think invented the sticky booger?

BC: I don't know...I mean, how do you come up with something like that?

BC's Dad: Yeah...I mean, was a guy just sitting around, thinkin', I'm gonna make a sticky booger?

BC: You know...it's probably not technically called a "sticky booger" though...I wonder what the like actual scientific name or whatever is...

BC's Dad: I don't know...

*we sit and ponder*

If you are going to think about numbers. Why 10, that is base 10?

Because we have 10 fingers.

If we had 3 fingers and a thumb on each hand would we use base 8.

And 10 would be what we call 8.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11 12 13 etc. our 9 would be represented by 11.

It is a better numbering system. ? of 10 would be 4.

XrayCrowd.gif

ghetofabu said:
I have no idea wtf the fuzzy hamster thing was about but it made me laugh.

Heh heh "fuzzy hamster" was a lil saying I'd do when something or some idea totally went over my head. It's kinda like when you teacher would surprise you by calling your name out to answer the pop quiz. Im sorry... you may continue on about your day :tongue:

Actually... what I really wanna know is... why are there roman numerials at the end of movies? I mean, we all know they are the year that the movie was produced... so why not just write out 2002 instead of MMII

Here's my fuzzy hamster Benny...with my Ryan Adams CD's (Heartbreaker is his fave album...I swear! ;) ).

Attachments

• bennyryan.jpg
    bennyryan.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 38
Bonochick said:
Here's my fuzzy hamster Benny...with my Ryan Adams CD's

All I see is a lil black furry patch but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt an' say awwww! how kewwwwte! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom