Best Of 2000s Master List and Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, I wasn't trying to break any kind of barriers anyways. Like I said in the opening paragraph(s), I just went for a more personal list, not one I thought anyone else would like. The stuff on it is just something meaningful to me, and it was my initial reaction when I saw "Best of 2000". I never would use these songs on a normal DI, but, I figured what the hell. :shrug:

(Sorry about "I Gotta Feeling", LMP lol. I don't necessarily LIKE the song in the same way I like other music. I just have great memories attached to it.)

Eh, I wasn't trying to break any kind of barriers anyways. Like I said in the opening paragraph(s), I just went for a more personal list, not one I thought anyone else would like. The stuff on it is just something meaningful to me, and it was my initial reaction when I saw "Best of 2000". I never would use these songs on a normal DI, but, I figured what the hell. :shrug:

(Sorry about "I Gotta Feeling", LMP lol. I don't necessarily LIKE the song in the same way I like other music. I just have great memories attached to it.)

It's totally cool, don't have to justify it. If you like it, you like it.

As it is to have a list of all-female artists, all post-rock, all-rap, etc... It's the tone you use that makes it annoying. As if because it's popular I or anyone else doesn't like it.

No, I don't like "I Gotta Feeling" because it's popular, I don't like it because I find it to be awful in its own right.

Point noted. I didn't think anybody would take offence to what I said but if they did, my apologies.

I Gotta Feeling got played while I was dancing like a mad-man at my wedding. Therefore, I cannot hate it.

I Gotta Feeling was obviously created in a lab using beakers, duct tape, and age demographic taste charting methods (countless minutes were assuredly spent on urbandictionary.com as well), but it cracks my ass up and is reasonably catchy. No harm done. Ire will be reserved for My Humps, however.

Honestly, I try to treat all people the same: if they like bands I consider terrible, that's absolutely fine, and I won't rag on them...unless they refuse to challenge their own tastes by trying other genres and digging for music they would not have discovered otherwise. It's the people that either aren't aware of the deeper layers the music world has to offer, or, worse yet, refuse to explore them that I can't take seriously. It may seem offensive to categorize someone in any way based on their music listening habits, but I don't consider it elitist at all if they don't even try.

Surely, the people who "refuse to challenge their own tastes by trying other genres and digging for music they would not have discovered otherwise" are not really fans of music. If they are not a fan of music (as an explorative thing, not in a "hey dude, heard this grouse song on the radio the other day, I'm gonna download it off iTunes!" kinda way), they shouldn't be expected to be explorative.

Can a Manchester United fan really be a fan of soccer (as a sport), if they only follow their own team when they're winning? I wouldn't call them a "fan of soccer" at all, because they do not have an underlying appreciation of or interest in soccer itself, similar to how the aforementioned music listener does not have an appreciation of or interest in music itself.

Ultimately, it's all coming down to personal hobbies and interests. You are a musically interested individual if anything and adopts following music as a hobby, as opposed to someone else who simply enjoys songs that he or she might hear.

Surely, the people who "refuse to challenge their own tastes by trying other genres and digging for music they would not have discovered otherwise" are not really fans of music. If they are not a fan of music (as an explorative thing, not in a "hey dude, heard this grouse song on the radio the other day, I'm gonna download it off iTunes!" kinda way), they shouldn't be expected to be explorative.

Can a Manchester United fan really be a fan of soccer (as a sport), if they only follow their own team when they're winning? I wouldn't call them a "fan of soccer" at all, because they do not have an underlying appreciation of or interest in soccer itself, similar to how the aforementioned music listener does not have an appreciation of or interest in music itself.

Ultimately, it's all coming down to personal hobbies and interests. You are a musically interested individual if anything and adopts following music as a hobby, as opposed to someone else who simply enjoys songs that he or she might hear.

More power to them. :up: Hope they get as much out of life as they can, as long as their interests aren't harmful to anyone else. I don't have to take their opinions regarding music to heart, however, on the internet or otherwise. Which is the point I was trying (failed?) to get across.

I Gotta Feeling was obviously created in a lab using beakers, duct tape, and age demographic taste charting methods (countless minutes were assuredly spent on urbandictionary.com as well), but it cracks my ass up and is reasonably catchy. No harm done. Ire will be reserved for My Humps, however.

They used Urban Dictionary to find "mozeltov" and "l'chaim?" Will.i.am is apparently not well versed in NSW's belief system.

They used Urban Dictionary to find "mozeltov" and "l'chaim?" Will.i.am is apparently not well versed in NSW's belief system.

The song is essentially a string of trite exhortations from the past five years of hip-hop, but I suppose they wouldn't need urbandictionary for that. Fuck it, it was 3 AM.

Jive Turkey's entry was interesting from a sequence perspective. It started off spectacularly with Someone Great, then went into a few songs I didn't care for (I just can't get into Of Montreal, for whatever reason), but then took off and was mostly very strong the rest of the way. I'll echo AtomicBono's comment regarding The Twilight Sad. That was a great track, and considering I like Frightened Rabbit and We Were Promised Jetpacks, I should probably look into their material further.

Overall, I really dug this. Way to go.

The Twilight Sad was the weaker band in the Frightened Rabbit/Jet Packs/Twilight show, but they were still alright.

I bought the Jet Packs CD about 2 minutes after their set ended. Holy shit. They're my new Mute Math.

Yes, they're touring together and hit the club at my school about a month ago. Free show, too.

Jet Packs knocked my fucking socks off. If you think their album's intense, see those crazy Scots live. Something like "This Is Our House, This Is Our Home" turns into something incredible.

Yes, yes it did.

That and "It's Thunder and It's Lightning." No, it's thunder and it's AWESOME.

One thing I forgot to mention when reviewing namkcuR's playlist.

His inclusion of Sting's Desert Rose should not be factored in when ranking his playlist. While the song was a single in 2000, it was originally released on the Brand New Day album in 1999 and thus is ineligible for this tournament.

Went through 1B1L's playlist this afternoon.

My favorite part was the ending. The last six or seven songs were phenomenal together. Really liked the vibe from that portion. I hadn't heard that EITS song before, for whatever reason; a gorgeous track.

The beginning and middle were hit or miss. For every track I enjoyed (BSS, Animal Collective, Mos Def), there was one that wasn't my cup of tea (Flaming Lips, Madvillian, Andrew Byrd) . But I got to hear quite a few things that I was unfamilliar with that I liked - for example, I've never gotten around to the Dirty Projectors album, but hearing the song you included intrigued me. And kudos for including Hot Chip.

Went through 1B1L's playlist this afternoon.

My favorite part was the ending. The last six or seven songs were phenomenal together. Really liked the vibe from that portion. I hadn't heard that EITS song before, for whatever reason; a gorgeous track.

The beginning and middle were hit or miss. For every track I enjoyed (BSS, Animal Collective, Mos Def), there was one that wasn't my cup of tea (Flaming Lips, Madvillian, Andrew Byrd) . But I got to hear quite a few things that I was unfamilliar with that I liked - for example, I've never gotten around to the Dirty Projectors album, but hearing the song you included intrigued me. And kudos for including Hot Chip.

Thanks! I'm glad that you were able to enjoy part of it, at the very least, and I'm definitely pumped that you liked the last section so much.

Yes, do check out Dirty Projectors. They're my pet project to promote this year. Excellent, excellent band. :up: I didn't realize Hot Chip had quite a few fans on the board, which is also nice to see.

Okay, thoughts on Irishteen's list:

Had never heard MGMT before even though I've seen the name being discussed here. Very interesting track but I feel that Killers On Top should've definitely followed it. Radiohead Idioteque seemed a bit out of place sandwiched in between.

Anyway, didn't really dig the Placebo and Battles songs but... Metric was very nice!

Franz was okay but I would've chosen a different track (and I did, lol). The next few songs were okay. Arcade Fire was nice.

I'd been curious about Verve Forth but this song was a bit strange.

I don't get the hype in this forum about Fake Empire. It's okay but nothing great.

Snow Patrol and U2 were awesome of course.

The last 2 songs were cool also. Different sort of track from RHCP to end the whole thing. :up:

I didn't realize Hot Chip had quite a few fans on the board, which is also nice to see.

I'm working on a "Ready for the Floor" / Batman '89 mash-up video right now, actually.

Too bad the rest of Made in the Dark was a massive disappointment.

I'm working on a "Ready for the Floor" / Batman '89 mash-up video right now, actually.

Too bad the rest of Made in the Dark was a massive disappointment.

Nice. You should share it when it's finished.

I heard Made in the Dark first, actually, so I don't have near the hatred for it that the album seems to garner around here. But, yeah, it's not even close to as good as The Warning.

No, I will only keep it for myself. Yeah, I'll show you guys.

"You're... my number one... guy.

One thing I forgot to mention when reviewing namkcuR's playlist.

His inclusion of Sting's Desert Rose should not be factored in when ranking his playlist. While the song was a single in 2000, it was originally released on the Brand New Day album in 1999 and thus is ineligible for this tournament.

I was going by the year it had in my ITunes...it said 2000. I don't know how that happened. Oh well, sorry about that. Although since it was a single in 2000, I don't see why it should be disqualified on the basis of date.

I was going by the year it had in my ITunes...it said 2000. I don't know how that happened. Oh well, sorry about that. Although since it was a single in 2000, I don't see why it should be disqualified on the basis of date.

Let's just say it was disqualified on the basis of Sting, instead.

More power to them. :up: Hope they get as much out of life as they can, as long as their interests aren't harmful to anyone else. I don't have to take their opinions regarding music to heart, however, on the internet or otherwise. Which is the point I was trying (failed?) to get across.

Nah, you got it across ok. I wouldn't say their opinions are completely invalid, just lacking a little weight when considering music in greater depth (which is something they'd be unlikely to do.....

Anyway, this is getting sidetrackingly philosophical.

Whoever chucked in Annie's Heartbeat :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom