Best Films of '07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lazarus said:
Sorry, but Badlands is probably my least favorite. I still think it's great, but the others are all just a bit more ambitious and powerful for me.

1. Days of Heaven
2. The Thin Red Line
3. The New World
4. Badlands

1 Badlands
2 days of heaven
3 new world
4 thin red line

1. No Country for Old Men
2. American Gangster
3. The Simpsons Movie
4. Sweeney Todd
5. Across the Universe
6. I Am Legend
7. Transformers
8. 3:10 to Yuma
9. 300
10. Hot Fuzz

Am I the only one that thought Across the Universe was a big pile of meh?

Has This Is England even been released in the US yet? It was brilliant but never seems to be mentioned here.

If it had, it was a super limited release. That's one to catch on DVD then.

elevation2u said:
i recently saw the special edition of Days of Heaven and almost bought, but used my better (economical) judgment and put it down since I already own it. I have all his films (cause you know there's sooo many), well technically I have to repurchase New World since the person who borrowed it never returned it.
:angry:

I'm suddenly tempted to watch Thin Red Line, it's been some time since I've watched it.

All this love for Terrence Malick is awesome...and as much as I sympathize with ignoring the urge to buy all DVDs, and save money, the Days of Heaven Criterion DVD is a must have, particularly for a Malick fan.

I love each of his films, but for me Thin Red Line is the greatest use of his poetic style.

monkeyskin said:
Has This Is England even been released in the US yet? It was brilliant but never seems to be mentioned here.

:shocked:

I can't believe I forgot to mention it. It did get a really limited release here, and I'm pretty sure the R1 DVD came out at the end of 2007, I caught it via IFC's On Demand in the summer, its great when a gem that doesn't get a decent release can be viewed in my living room, rather than driving out of my way to see it.

powerhour24 said:

:shocked:

I can't believe I forgot to mention it. It did get a really limited release here, and I'm pretty sure the R1 DVD came out at the end of 2007, I caught it via IFC's On Demand in the summer, its great when a gem that doesn't get a decent release can be viewed in my living room, rather than driving out of my way to see it.

Glad you enjoyed it, good to know it's making even a slight impact overseas.

Have you seen any other of Shane Meadows' films? His previois one, Dead Man's Shoes, got a lot of press over here and it's well worth a watch. There's also A Room for Romeo Brass, his second film and in my eyes second only to This Is England.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Nope.

It was entertaining enough, but I ended up being unimpressed overall. I did really like the lead guy, though. I'd watch him in other movies.

I own each Malick title, and love to go back and re-watch. Days of Heaven is my favorite of his.

Malick lovers, have you ever watched the films of David Gordon Green? If not, you might want to. My favorite is All the Real Girls.

LemonMacPhisto said:

You're not alone. It was unbearably bad.

inmyplace13 said:

You're not alone. It was unbearably bad.

My friends, and the Foreign Press it seems, think it's the greatest thing ever because it's the Beatles, man.

I don't know why they all become The Dude after seeing it, but man, I came in exciting and came out like I was slapped in the face.

You either go, fantastically surreal musical, or plot with musical elements: you can't have both. And fuck Prudence, honestly. Way to ruin a great song, guys.

It got nominated for Golden Globes because it's one of the few musicals out there. They have to fill the comedy/musical slots with SOMETHING! I think it got in by default. :wink:

Knocked Up?
Superbad?
Hot Fuzz?

I forgot, those were entertaining.

Knocked Up and Superbad - too vulgar for the old farts at the Hollywood Foreign Press Old Folks Home, I'd guess.

Hot Fuzz - everyone forgot about it. (Seriously, I thought it came out last year.)

You're definitely right about the vulgarity, but it just goes to show how contrived these shows really are. I can't wait until we do our own polls as proposed.

Same thing happened to Zodiac. I still haven't seen it, but everyone was raving about it.

I'd even consider Death Proof as a contender for something. I fucking loved that movie, with Grindhouse or without. Where would an action/horror/comedy be?

monkeyskin said:

Glad you enjoyed it, good to know it's making even a slight impact overseas.

Have you seen any other of Shane Meadows' films? His previois one, Dead Man's Shoes, got a lot of press over here and it's well worth a watch. There's also A Room for Romeo Brass, his second film and in my eyes second only to This Is England.

I have seen Dead Man's Shoes, decent vehicle for Paddy Considine, interesting and a killer ending but I didn't think it was all that developed. I haven't seen the other one, I'm not sure it ever got released here, I'll look into it.

I didn't forget Hot Fuzz or Zodiac, respectively the funniest and best film of the year.

LemonMacPhisto said:
You're definitely right about the vulgarity, but it just goes to show how contrived these shows really are.

I think the Golden Globes have gained a little more respect over the years, but they're still the group that gave Pia Zadora an award.

You might say, "Who?"

To which I say, "Exactly."

You know, I have a lot more respect for the Globes than I used to. They were the ones who nominated Mulholland Dr, Wonder Boys, The Man Who Wasn't There for Best Drama, not the Oscars. They gave an acting award to Clooney for O Brother, Hackman for Tenenbaums, picture to Brokeback, Almost Famous (comedy/musical) and The Aviator, and countless other spot-on choices.

If you look at the track record of the Oscars vs. the GG's, I think you will find the latter has been much more respectable this last decade.

I'll probably pick up the Zodiac SE some time after its price drops a bit, considering I love the film and didn't buy the original DVD release.

lazarus said:
If you look at the track record of the Oscars vs. the GG's, I think you will find the latter has been much more respectable this last decade.

Oh, definitely. I just think they still have a capacity for a bit of random what-the-fuckery from time to time.

corianderstem said:

Oh, definitely. I just think they still have a capacity for a bit of random what-the-fuckery from time to time.

Last year's Golden Globes were almost completely misleading.

Not really surprising that Babel won, considering the international nature of the film and the Globes.

People should not have assumed that it was going to equal an Oscar Best Picture, though.

Weren't most of the other awards the same?

Scorsese, Whittaker, Mirren, Hudson, and Murphy. Only Murphy failed to win the Oscar, and the Academy are more sentimental about old veterans like Alan Arkin.

elevated_u2_fan said:
If only he would do one for The Game :sigh:

From what I've heard there is a Special Edition laserdisc for The Game, which has director's commentary and other stuff.

May need to hunt that down...

lazarus said:

From what I've heard there is a Special Edition laserdisc for The Game, which has director's commentary and other stuff.

May need to hunt that down...

Laserdisc :tsk:

I was in a used bookstore the other day and they had the LD version of Seven, I was tempted to buy it because the packaging was so cool and I don't even own a LD player...

Back
Top Bottom