Before Sunrise and Before Sunset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Got Philk?

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Arizona, Tacoma, Philadelphia ,Atlanta, LA...
I just saw the movie "Before Sunrise". Shortly after, I saw "Before Sunset". I kind of liked both movies. Have you seen them? What did you think?

And by the way, I am a helpless romantic so I do think he stayed in Paris in the second movie...

Got Philk? said:
And by the way, I am a helpless romantic so I do think he stayed in Paris in the second movie...

Yes of course he stayed. She says: "You're gonna miss your plane." He says: "I know!"

THE END

I dunno, we just rewatched both of these - my husband thinks it's great that we get to watch a 2 hour conversation, I think it's a bit boring :shrug:

I didn't find the actress attractive enough. :reject: I don't know, it kind of took away some of the credibilty from how she was so interesting to him. How superficial of me.

I LOVED them both...the second one answers all the questions, but at the same time leaves you with the whole "Oh man--what the fuck??!" feeling. You know what happens at the end, but still, it leaves you wanting more.

Interesting. You know, in response to brown eyed boy, I thought that the actress wasn't that attractive, and I think that's why I liked her all the more. She did have really pretty lips.

Some of my thoughts are this. I can't believe he actually went back after 6 months! And she didn't show! I liked the characters in the first one better. For some reason, it was just perfect. 2 people at a time in their life where they were both young, and searching. But then the second one I realized that though they were grown up and all, not much had changed I guess. Very interesting. She was way cuter in the first movie too. :)
I guess it seemed like people watching, you know, like when you go to the mall or my favorite, the bar, and sit and watch people. Only less creepy. hehehe :shrug:

markoajda said:

Yes of course he stayed. She says: "You're gonna miss your plane." He says: "I know!"

THE END

not necessarily. at the end of the first film, they agree to meet back at the platform in six months, but it doesn't mean that they did. just because he might miss his scheduled flight doesn't mean he wasn't on a later one. maybe he stayed in paris, maybe he didn't. it's part of the reason these films are so wonderful - all of the uncertainty.

i love both of these films so much, and for reasons other than just the obvious ones. both of these films are brilliant. the acting, the directing, the dialogue. the second one is filmed in real time, giving jesse and celine exactly eighty minutes to reunite and reconnect. it gives the film a certain tension. you can actually feel their time slipping away. there is so much to say, and never enough time.

i could go on and on about these films, but i'm afraid i wouldn't be interesting enough, or - god forbid - attractive enough to hold your attention.

:wink:

it's true that these films are nothing more than conversations between two people. we get to watch, and we get to listen. that's all.

but for me, that's enough.

i like the first one, know many of the places..

the second one is kinda sad because its so real

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
:bump: for beegee :love:

omg april, YOU RULE!! :love:

(that was seriously the sweetest thing ever.)

i posted this in april's journal, but i really wondered what everyone else thought about it.

first of all, let me make it clear that these two films are my most favorite films ever and i love them more than i can even put into words.

ok, so all the wonderful women that i know, who watch these films and fall in love with the story of jesse and celine, they all want him to stay in paris with her - they want him to miss his flight.

but he's married, and he has a family.

so my question is about this kind of behavior - her seducing him (and that's exactly what she's doing when she starts dancing like that and she knows it) even though she knows he's married, and him obviously considering spending the night with her - why is this kind of behavior so romantic in the film and yet so shocking and horrible in real life?

i have a co-worker who dicovered last year that her husband was cheating on her. she would come to work everyday for months and spend all day crying in the staff lounge. last month she watched both films and fell completely in love with them. she stood right in front of me and told me how she just KNOWS that jesse missed that plane. she even closed her eyes and put her hand over her heart like she was just overwhelmed by how romantic the mere thought of it was. then i pointed out the fact that he was married, and was about to cheat on his wife.

she kind of blinked at me and hasn't really liked me much since.

now, i'm not saying i wasn't all overcome with the idea of him missing his flight myself, and some of you who know me very well also know that i am no innocent when it comes to my own romantic history. but, if i told you all that i spent the night with someone who was madly in love with me, even though he had a wife at home, would you all swoon and call it romantic?

and what i want to know is...why? or why not?

i would really love to hear some ideas about this.

I loved these two films. One time I watched Before Sunset two times in a row with a girlfriend.

It did cross my mind that Jesse was married with a little boy. He said that he was not happy in his marriage but stayed only because he could not live w/o his son.

I want to see a part three!

I loved both films :)
Ethan Hawke was great, Julie Delpy too...I know the whole story is based on conversation but the things they talk about are interesting :yes:

Great set of movies.. and the location of both is :drool: (Paris and Vienna).

I also need a third one. Would it be 'Before Midnight'? 'Before Breakfast'?

:huh:

bonosgirl84 said:

omg april, YOU RULE!! :love:

(that was seriously the sweetest thing ever.)

:love:

I think you bring up an excellent point, how stuff like this is so romantic in the movies, but if we knew someone who did this in real life the general concensus would be to look down on them. I find the story of your co-worker especially interesting.

While I love to think that he stayed and they lived happily ever after, I also know that because it's a movie and we don't get to see the after effect of that (him staying and all the fun that follws - i.e, telling his wife, etc.) that makes it all the more romantic, keeping it as the fantasy and not seeing the fallout. I guess because we see the fallout so much in real life that's what makes it lose it's luster as opposed to when we watch the movie.

Does that make sense at all? :der:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

:love:

I think you bring up an excellent point, how stuff like this is so romantic in the movies, but if we knew someone who did this in real life the general concensus would be to look down on them. I find the story of your co-worker especially interesting.

While I love to think that he stayed and they lived happily ever after, I also know that because it's a movie and we don't get to see the after effect of that (him staying and all the fun that follws - i.e, telling his wife, etc.) that makes it all the more romantic, keeping it as the fantasy and not seeing the fallout. I guess because we see the fallout so much in real life that's what makes it lose it's luster as opposed to when we watch the movie.

Does that make sense at all? :der:

Yes. That does make sense.

Back
Top Bottom