All Apologies is the ONLY Nirvana song I really love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pepokiss said:
I remember the first time I heard Smell Like Teen Spirit...

it seems like it hasn't stoped :mad:

oh god no.

my friend is obsessed with nirvana and we always fight over whos better them or Pearl Jam. And for some reason she wont even say PJ is good.

Breed :rockon:

If you have...
Even if you need...
I don't mean to stare.
We don't have to breed.
We can plant a house,
Or We can build a tree.
I don't even care.
"We could have all three."
She Said...
She Said...
She Said...
She Said...
She Said...
She Said...
She Said...
She Said... :rockon:

Re: Re: All Apologies is the ONLY Nirvana song I really love

Zootlesque said:

...says the guy who was born in 1992! :wink:

You'd have had to be there to understand how Smells Like Teen Spirit destroyed hair metal cheese! Nevermind rocks! I still love it.

FEBRUARY 1991, thank you. :mad: :mad: :mad:

:reject: But your point still stands, I suppose.

I can understand that Nirvana's contribution to rock was great, and I respect them for (like Pearl Jam, Green Day, Weezer, etc.) making the guitar cool again in the early 90's after so much synthesized 80's cheese. But when I hear Come As You Are, I don't think "Wow, it sounds like nothing else!", I think "well, decent riff I suppose, and Cobain has a very fractured and interesting way with a metaphor". It just isn't revolutionary to my ears, really. Sonic Youth, Velvet Underground, and The Pixies all made great noise rock 10, 20, 30 years before Nirvana even existed. They just stirred what was already in the pot and got a great reaction.

Re: Re: All Apologies is the ONLY Nirvana song I really love

Zootlesque said:

...says the guy who was born in 1992! :wink:

You'd have had to be there to understand how Smells Like Teen Spirit destroyed hair metal cheese! Nevermind rocks! I still love it.

I was there.

I was listening to bands like Blur and Catherine Wheel around 1991-1992 (not to mention REM and of course U2), not metal or what passed for metal. And while I'm not a huge hip-hop devotee, the year Nevermind came out was also the year "Low End Theory" came out, and I'd rather listen to that, frankly. Metallica was also released that year. I think that Nirvana get a lot of credit for killing cheesy metal, but they had help.

So I appreciate how Nirvana's music helped spear-head a shift in what MTV focused on and such, but, still, I listen to them now and then and they're merely ok to me. Sometimes good.

And so I do think it's fair to call them overrated.

The one thing I do not understand, though, is how liking Pearl Jam precludes one from liking Nirvana. I'm a huge PJ fan, but that does not color how much I liked/like Nirvana, or even Soundgarden (who I fucking love) or Alice in Chains, if we have to reference Seattle bands.

In 20 years, I wonder how Nirvana will be viewed by people born around now. Will they "discover" Nirvana and be blown away, or will they listen and respond like LemonMelon? I'd bet on the latter.

Re: Re: Re: All Apologies is the ONLY Nirvana song I really love

No spoken words said:

The one thing I do not understand, though, is how liking Pearl Jam precludes one from liking Nirvana. I'm a huge PJ fan, but that does not color how much I liked/like Nirvana, or even Soundgarden (who I fucking love) or Alice in Chains, if we have to reference Seattle bands.

Agreed. Nirvana is one of the least melodic bands of their genre, very intense and introverted. Pearl Jam brought a focus on guitar tones and riffs not unlike what you would have heard in a blues club in 1972, and mixed that with much more idealistic overtones. Nirvana is really friggin depressing, while I wouldn't say PJ is like that at all. Two completely different styles, two different sounds, yet they're often lumped together.

All Apologies is great.

As for what else is being said, and is always said when the topic of Nirvana is brought up..

For me, an album like Nevermind is loved as much as for being a snapshot in time as it is for being a kick-arse album. I really enjoy it in small doses, but if Nirvana had continued to put out albums I'm doubtful that I would have ever been hooked on their stuff. In much the same way I guess I appreciate an album like Appetite for Destruction as being a kick-arse snapshot in time that I like to visit occasionally, but the ride ends there - for me, anyway. Of course this is without saying anything about the respective impact of these albums at their time of release, it's about how the artists are perceived and enjoyed now, years down the track..

Anything that destroys hair-metal has to be good In my opinion....

Smells Like Teen Spirit, for me personally is one of those rare songs that I've heard hundreds of times yet have never ever tired of listening to. Have always enjoyed it, never contemplated putting Nevermind in the CD Player with the intent of skipping it. Simple as that, and there are only a couple of dozen songs that fit that category (only 2 U2 songs for that matter).

This is one of my favourite Nirvana songs as of late:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEhIu4vtSIQ

:drool: so badass

probably not the best if you're a fan of melody though :wink:

I was obsessed with Nirvana in middle school, but I'm not so into them now. I used to love Kurt's voice but now I feel a lot more :huh: about it. Still, I think they have a lot of great songs. A lot of their singles have gotten massively overplayed, but I still enjoy some of them. Pennyroyal Tea, Drain You, and Aneurysm are some good songs too. And yeah, I'm one of those fans who actually likes You Know You're Right.

Nirvana definitely is overrated generally, but I think they're underrated by a lot of people here.

I think a lot of what made those bands so big went beyond the music. They didn't just babble on about rock cliches and fans and all that. When someone asked them a question, they gave an honest answer. They were people, not "rockstars" so it was easier to relate. When Nikki Sixx talked about killing himself by overdosing, or CC Deville said he didn't remember playing MSG, you thought it sounded like rock and roll and therefore cool, but you couldn't relate. Those Seattle dudes just seemed down to earth - except Layne Staley. He was fucking weird, But not in a hair metal way. Just out there.

My favorite Kurt Cobain moment is when a reporter said, "Rolling Stane magazine stated that..." And Cobain said, "Rolling Stone? What do they know?" I always liked that.

Back
Top Bottom