(12-05-2002) Bono tour wasn?t scheduled to visit facilities - Quad-City Times

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.qctimes.com/

Bono tour wasn?t scheduled to visit facilities, Deere says
By QUAD-CITY TIMES STAFF

A representative of Deere & Co. said Wednesday that organizers of the Heart of America Tour featuring rock star Bono erred in publicizing a schedule that said there would be stops Tuesday at Deere facilities in the Quad-Cities.

?The group that was sponsoring had approached us about the company?s operations in Africa, but didn?t follow up after that. We didn?t hear from them again. I think there was some miscommunication on their part as far as their scheduling,? Deere spokesman Ken Golden said Wednesday.

Bono, the frontman for the Irish rock group U2, and actress Ashley Judd made an appearance Monday night in Iowa City as part of the tour to raise awareness about the AIDS epidemic in Africa and the rest of the world.

At that time, the publicist for the Heart of America tour, Rubenstein Communications Inc. of New York City, said there would be private meetings Tuesday with Deere executives in Moline and with labor leaders during a tour of a Deere factory. An item to that effect was published in Tuesday editions of the Quad-City Times.

Instead, the tour stopped Tuesday morning at the Iowa 80 Truck Stop in Walcott, Iowa, which had been part of its itinerary Monday night, before going to Davenport Central High School, where Bono and Judd dropped in on students in a health class.

?My understanding is that Central High School didn?t know until two hours before that the group wanted to do something with the high school. I think the group?s schedule was pretty fluid,? Golden said.

Attempts by the Times to contact a publicist from Rubenstein Communications traveling with the tour were unsuccessful Wednesday night.

Back
Top Bottom