(11-23-2002) Bono to speak on AIDS at IMU - Press-Citizen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.press-citizen.com/

Bono to speak on AIDS at IMU

By Gigi Wood
Iowa City Press-Citizen

Achtung, Iowa City.

Rock star and U2 frontman Bono will visit the University of Iowa on Dec. 2 to promote World AIDS Day.

About 300 people lined up at the Iowa Memorial Union on Friday to get a free ticket to the event, which is sponsored by the UI Lecture Committee. The Dublin, Ireland, native is appearing for free.

The University Box Office had fewer than 100 tickets remaining late Friday afternoon. The office is open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. today , from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday and from 10 a.m. to at least 8 p.m. weekdays. Tickets do not guarantee a seat in the union's Main Lounge, however.

Bono's talk will be videotaped and fed live to various televisions throughout the building.

112302bono1.jpg

Fans line up to get tickets to hear Bono on Friday at the Iowa Memorial Union.
Press-Citizen/Gigi Wood

The visit is part of a multi-stop, nationwide tour to promote awareness of the AIDS epidemic in Africa and developing countries. Earlier this year, Bono embarked on a 10-day tour of South Africa with U.S. Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill, visiting mothers with AIDS. About 4.7 million people in South Africa are infected with AIDS.

The lecture committee sent out promotional materials to Bono's representatives in August and the singer accepted earlier this month, said Patrick Finn, head of marketing for the committee.

"We heavily promoted Iowa City as the place to go if he was going to come to the area," Finn said. "Iowa City's progressive atmosphere and AIDS research at the University Hospital definitely helped with that."

UI student Chris Sand, 19, said he was chatting online with friends Thursday evening when he came across the lecture committee's announcement about Bono's visit posted on the university Web site. He notified his friends on the other end of the modem, and they jumped in their car and drove from Decatur, Ill., to Iowa City that night. They were first in line for tickets at 8 a.m. Friday.

"Bono's music is what got me to start writing music," said Matt Hainley, 22, one of Sand's friends who made the trek. "I couldn't believe it when I heard he was coming."

U2 has released 14 albums since its first, "Boy," in 1980. The group made its big break in 1987 with the release of "The Joshua Tree," an album many UI students said turned them into fans of the band.

Sand's friends, who are starting a band together, say they cannot pick one album as the best U2 release.

"It depends on your mood," Sand said. "If I'm in a deep mood, I listen to 'The Joshua Tree.' If I want something upbeat, I listen to 'Achtung Baby.'"

Achtung is a German word for "attention."

Another group of students, meanwhile, waited three hours in line for tickets because they are excited to hear Bono's message about AIDS. They do not consider themselves major fans of U2's music.

"I became interested in his music because of what he has said about AIDS," said Rachel Hanson, a senior anthropology major.

"I think it's very cool he's using his name to further the cause," said McCay Wiesemann, a junior majoring in English.

The day before his visit, Bono will appear on the Larry King Live show on CNN to mark World AIDS Day. Earlier this month, he received the Humanitarian Laureate Award from the Simon Wiesenthal Centre in New York City for his long-running campaign to fight AIDS and cancel unpayable debts of the world's poorest countries.

Back
Top Bottom