(07-14-2003) Bono Gets New NYC Digs - NYMag *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.newyorkmetro.com/

Realty Bites: Bono Buys the Big Apple
U2 singer nabs Steve Jobs?s CPW apartment.

Looks like co-op boards are getting soft on celebs. Last Thursday night, Bono passed the notoriously difficult board at the San Remo on Central Park West, which rejected Madonna in 1985. He?ll be moving into Apple CEO Steve Jobs?s 3,500-square-foot two-bedroom duplex with a 1,200-square-foot terrace overlooking the park. A source said U2?s front man paid close to the $14.9 million asking price, but broker Roger Erickson of William B. May declined to comment.

So he DID buy it?? I heard it went to someone else. Maybe their loan wasn't approved or something. I know it's his business, but I tell you, for that price I'd have had myself several good sized estates with land. I just can't see putting that kind of money into a place that small. 2 bedrooms? He has 4 kids:shrug: Okay, I know, it's his money it's his business, I just can't help thinking how I could have put that amount of money to so much better use. But it's not mine, it's his, oh well. If you've got it might as well have the things you want. I know he really loves NYC.

Last edited:
The1,200 square foot terrace is bigger than a lot of homes. He can have lots of potted plants and make it look country out there on his terrace.....

Am I not the only one who feels this was, uh, not the best timing? :eek: Right now, I have family members who are in dire straits financially and I am trying to muster up donations from other family and friends- but there's this car I really want and it's such a good deal, but I know I can't buy it or I'll hear "why don't you put your friggin money where your mouth is, bumming off us, then spending like that?" I dunno, with people in Ireland protesting him and asking how much he'd given, and being so involved in his (very important) cause all over TV, maybe this wasn't the best of times to be so extravagant. Or it could have been kept out of the papers? :uhoh: He gets right pissed when he's questioned on this. I only hope this doesn't spread beyond the U2 forums, where he's so highly regarded by us, he's safe and nothing he does is less than perfect :angel:

Last edited:
U2Lady said:
Am I not the only one who feels this was, uh, not the best timing? :eek: Right now, I have family members who are in dire straits financially and I am trying to muster up donations from other family and friends- but there's this car I really want and it's such a good deal, but I know I can't buy it or I'll hear "why don't you put your friggin money where your mouth is, bumming off us, then spending like that?" I dunno, with people in Ireland protesting him and asking how much he'd given, and being so involved in his (very important) cause all over TV, maybe this wasn't the best of times to be so extravagant. Or it could have been kept out of the papers? :uhoh: He gets right pissed when he's questioned on this. I only hope this doesn't spread beyond the U2 forums, where he's so highly regarded by us, he's safe and nothing he does is less than perfect :angel:

Oh, get real. Rich people do what they want whenever they want. They don't care that you need a car or I need to pay for grad school. They also don't really care that people bitch them out for spending money like water.

Bono is fucking rich. He'll spend what he wants on whatever he wants, just like rich people have done since they were first invented. He'll still promote his causes, and people will still either support him or criticize him, just like always.

As for this "spreading beyond the U2 forums," look at the source of the article.

martha said:

As for this "spreading beyond the U2 forums," look at the source of the article.

Exactly. :up:

It was from newyorkmetro.com... not a U2 forum. Some U2 fans are interested in what Bono buys and does.. so I try not to be too partial when reporting news if I can.

I'm reminded of how people often bring up the argument that Bono shouldn't buy such extravagant things while preaching for others to give to charity. First off, we don't know how much he has donated...and it really isn't any of our business. I think it's safe to assume that he has, but donations are something that can be a private matter...he doesn't have to make a public announcement or anything. Nobody does.

Secondly, Bono's worked his talent hard...and made many sacrifices along the way regarding his family and whatnot to be in a business that demands so much of him. Let him enjoy his money. I know I would.

We all have our money woes...but that is not Bono's fault or problem.

Last edited:
And really, like most of us wouldn't buy an apartment like that if we had more money than we could ever spend?

No one has the right to question how he spends his own money.

WELL.........SOUNDS LIKE A BEAUTIFUL PLACE TO RELAX IN AFTER A HARD DAY'S WORK (or play)> YOU DIDNT GIVE UP, GOOD FOR YOU!!......NOW, WHAT WOULD BE REALLY COOL FOR ME WOULD BE TO VISIT WITH BONO ENJOYING A CAFE LATTE,(OR JUST A GLASS OF WATER) SITTING ON THE TERRACE SOAKING UP THE SUNSHINE AND THE GEORGOUS VIEW,,, WHATS THAT LINE BONO SINGS ABOUT DREAMS COMING TRUE???please respond. SO HAPPY FOR YOU BONO,,,BUT WHY COULDNT IT BE THE WINDY CITY??? :wave: :wave: : STEVE JOBS IS SO SMART, DID HE LEAVE A BUNCH OF ELECTRONICS FOR YOU TO TINKER WITH??

I don't give a :censored: what Bono does with his money. But I don't think it's his choice to make this public anyway. I think he'd rather it weren't known, but that's not life: if you're a celebrity everything you do is going to get in the press. Some things are great about being a star and other things are not so great. They have stuff in their lives that's a drag like us.........maybe it's not the same kind of drag.

How about buying one of Steve Jobs' houses out here in Northern California!

-Christine

not to sound too cynical but since he can afford to buy several luxurious homes and doesnt need the money how about cutting the cost of tickets to the next tour ..$150 is way too much for some of us devoted fans who have 9-5 jobs ...ok i'll get off my soapbox..for now.

Last edited:
verte76 said:
But I don't think it's his choice to make this public anyway. I think he'd rather it weren't known, but that's not life

Every real estate transaction is public. All anyone needs to do is go look it up in a county or city office somewhere.

And why would he care who knows?? He bought a 15 million dollar apartment! That's not the action of a publicity-shy man!

Now all the stalkers know just where to go :p

I can see how u2lady and teenie are "cynical." You know, of course it's "his money and his business" :blahblah: :yawn:

but look ppl, I love Bono as much as anyone here but think how things like this look to those of us who don't worship him, or those he's trying to win over with his speeches, or those who are already opposing him and calling him a "hypocrite?" Here we have a guy who's telling "rich" countries to "dig deep" and lecturing us to give up "the price of a cup of coffee or a movie" and he does this?! Okay, so it's his right, nobody said it wasn't. But he's going to have to expect backlash rhetoric from his detractors and this only gives them ammunition. I read the two reports of people Ireland protesting him as he arrived for appearances and calling him a "hypocrite" and screaming "how much did you give" and this is just the kind of thing that's only going to make them get worse. We all must deal with the consequences of our decisions, right or wrong, and Bono is no different. I know I suffer for mine every day!;)

Bill Gates gave $24 billion dollars of his own personal fortune to the poor African kids. Countries deep in debt are giving billions. It's understandable that people who don't feel so passionate about this man as we do would question how Bono can expect others to be so generous when he throws his money away like this. Yes, it's his. Yes, he can. But he, and you all, can't expect such actions to be criticized. Hey don't bash me, I'm behind him all the way. I'm only worried he's going to be bashed by others.

Last edited:
tabby- you need to apply for a job as bono's publicist!lol

- Christine:wave:

Last edited:
Tabby--You're right, this stuff makes Bono controversial. But some of these people would pick on him no matter what he did short of going to a monastery. The truth of the matter is that Bono is simply a rock star who likes people. I don't think it's a complex thing at all. He knows that not everyone is as lucky as he is and he wants to help people who have horrible luck, i.e, people in Africa who don't even have clean water. My answer to these critics is "what if he didn't do anything" and "what have you done?" I get stone silence everytime I ask these questions. I'd be pissed if he weren't doing something. This work he does on behalf of Africans is very difficult and often frustrating. I don't see how he does it. I don't know that I could take this kind of initiative. But that's Bono. That's why I love him. :heart: :heart: :heart:

mumbler said:
WELL.........SOUNDS LIKE A BEAUTIFUL PLACE TO RELAX IN AFTER A HARD DAY'S WORK (or play)> YOU DIDNT GIVE UP, GOOD FOR YOU!!......NOW, WHAT WOULD BE REALLY COOL FOR ME WOULD BE TO VISIT WITH BONO ENJOYING A CAFE LATTE,(OR JUST A GLASS OF WATER) SITTING ON THE TERRACE SOAKING UP THE SUNSHINE AND THE GEORGOUS VIEW,,, WHATS THAT LINE BONO SINGS ABOUT DREAMS COMING TRUE???please respond. SO HAPPY FOR YOU BONO,,,BUT WHY COULDNT IT BE THE WINDY CITY??? :wave: :wave: : STEVE JOBS IS SO SMART, DID HE LEAVE A BUNCH OF ELECTRONICS FOR YOU TO TINKER WITH??

COOL! SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE ON A PERSONAL BASIS WITH THE MAN! CAN I COME TOO?! :hyper:

verte76 said:
Tabby--You're right, this stuff makes Bono controversial. But some of these people would pick on him no matter what he did short of going to a monastery. The truth of the matter is that Bono is simply a rock star who likes people. I don't think it's a complex thing at all. He knows that not everyone is as lucky as he is and he wants to help people who have horrible luck, i.e, people in Africa who don't even have clean water. My answer to these critics is "what if he didn't do anything" and "what have you done?" I get stone silence everytime I ask these questions. I'd be pissed if he weren't doing something. This work he does on behalf of Africans is very difficult and often frustrating. I don't see how he does it. I don't know that I could take this kind of initiative. But that's Bono. That's why I love him. :heart: :heart: :heart:

:up:

I love Bono, and I'm glad he's doing something to help - he doesn't have to, after all. But, I just wonder, why doesn't he help by GIVING more money, rather than by telling others to give their money? He obviously has a lot of money to splash around if he's buying a place like this. I can understand why some people see him as a hypocrite...
On the other hand, being a high profile rock star, maybe he needs a place like this. Maybe it's more secure, or offers him more privacy than a cheaper place would. I don't know.

mystery girl said:
But, I just wonder, why doesn't he help by GIVING more money, rather than by telling others to give their money?

How do you know that he hasn't?

This kind of thinking really pisses me off. And not just becuase it's about Bono. I can't stand it when people think that others should give all of their money away. Should I send $200 to a charitry rather than get new speakers? Should I drive an old, shitty car, and give my money away? People who work can decide what to do with their money. Just because you disagree with how they spend it doesn't matter a fuck.

14 million dollars is a lot to pay for an apartment. But it isn't our business. Bono's wealth won't make a dent in the problems he's trying to solve. The US pledged 15 BILLION DOLLARS, and it's the commitment of nations that matters. Not the individual. The problem is so much more complex than you apparently understand.

If you don't like the way he spends his money, then don't buy the products that help him earn that money.

You're right, Martha. It's taking *at least* $15 billion to solve the problem of the AIDS pandemic. The richest man in the world can't do anything about the fact that the African countries are being forced to pay more in debt payment to rich countries than they get in foreign aid. It's a massive problem that only governments can solve. Individuals can help but not the way governments really need to. As long as governments are insisting on being paid this money from poor countries, the poor countries are screwed. To hell with whether or not Bono has that apartment or whatever. It's completely beside the point. For the record it's been mentioned in Rolling Stone and other publications that U2 have financed entire campaigns for Oxfam which have, shall we say rather large price tags. I don't think they exactly have their publicists call up the newspapers when they do this. Bono has said that people who give to charities mainly want it to be a private affair. Hell, I wouldn't even know that they needed clean water sources in Africa if it hadn't been for the PR in the matter generated by Bono's trip with Paul O'Neill. He wouldn't have been asked to make the trip with O'Neill if he weren't a big shot in this matter. He's given God knows how much $$, how much time, how much effort, in this cause, and for that we should be grateful. I know people in Africa are.

Red Ships of Scalla-Festa said:
i dont get it. why so many homes? how many does he need.

He has upgraded his NYC pad to the San Remo, one of the most beautiful buildings in NYC.

ouizy said:

He has upgraded his NYC pad to the San Remo, one of the most beautiful buildings in NYC.

Exactly! :yes: He is upgrading, he will probably sell the other NY place now. It is all real estate deals people, no biggie.

Those freakin geeks on the late night advertisements are making real estate deals left and right. :sexywink:

:blahblah: :blahblah:

Back
Top Bottom