(06-08-2003) And Who Do You Think Bono Is? - Irish Examiner *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.examiner.ie/

In the "Opinion" section of June 9th's Irish Examiner, Jerry Daly of Caherslee has a bone to pick with Bono. Which got us thinking about Jerry's beef - Who DOES Bono think he is? Who do you think he is? Tell us below!

Rocking the world

WHO exactly does the pop singer who goes by the name of Bono think he is?

He goes around trying to tell some of the world?s top politicians how to do their jobs.

Even though the music of the Beatles and Rolling Stones is vastly superior to that of U2, Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger know their place and do not suffer from delusions of grandeur.

Jerry Daly,
Caherslee,
Tralee,
Co Kerry

what are u smokin?!?

Maybe Bono is goin alittle beyond his job description when he advocates for things but, hey it works to an extent and he's tryin 2 make the world a better place. N what's wrong w/ u??? Beetles n Rolling stones better music than U2?? I'm sure there's many a music fan who'll argue against your point.

Tim

I think some people are just jealous.
Better Bono do something good for the world, than be a negative arse like the guy who wrote this.

Even though the music of the Beatles and Rolling Stones is vastly superior to that of U2, Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger know their place and do not suffer from delusions of grandeur.

Yeah, you know John Lennon and George Harrison never bothered getting involved in politics, speaking out against war, hunger, poverty and all that. The members of The Beatles certainly knew their place and never tried to mix music and politics. Oh wait, Lennon was famously anti-war with the songs, concerts, billboards, protests and all that and Harrison started the whole benefit concert thing with The Concert for Bangladesh.

I don't particularly buy into that whole argument that people dislike people they're jealous of, and I don't think that applies in Bono's case. What I do believe is that there are people who think we should all mind our own business, only do for ourselves, and they are seriously bothered when they see others, in their view, butting in, getting involved in large scale movements involving the pain and suffering of others. It must rankle especially when the person doing that is as high-profile as Bono and you have to constantly hear about his mission and all. I'm sure there are quite a few people in the world who see Bono doing his DATA work and think, "Go home, tend to your family, make your music and let the world cure itself."

dsmith2904 said:

Yeah, you know John Lennon and George Harrison never bothered getting involved in politics, speaking out against war, hunger, poverty and all that. The members of The Beatles certainly knew their place and never tried to mix music and politics. Oh wait, Lennon was famously anti-war with the songs, concerts, billboards, protests and all that and Harrison started the whole benefit concert thing with The Concert for Bangladesh.
That's exactly what I was thinking...

I don't particularly buy into that whole argument that people dislike people they're jealous of, and I don't think that applies in Bono's case. What I do believe is that there are people who think we should all mind our own business, only do for ourselves, and they are seriously bothered when they see others, in their view, butting in, getting involved in large scale movements involving the pain and suffering of others. It must rankle especially when the person doing that is as high-profile as Bono and you have to constantly hear about his mission and all. I'm sure there are quite a few people in the world who see Bono doing his DATA work and think, "Go home, tend to your family, make your music and let the world cure itself."
Another good point. People think he's doing it for his ego, but I don't know why anyone would spend so much time away from the people and the "day job" he loves to inflate his own ego. And there are plenty of people who think it's laughable that a rock star thinks he can change the world.
How many people are at least enlightened about DATA and Drop the Debt issues now because of Bono? He might not have accomplished all his goals there, but at least he's doing more than sitting around, writing whiny letters to newspapers.

Bono is helping make the world a better place. I can't imagine why some people have to whine about this. I hate it when people don't give a damn about mass starvation, AIDS pandemics and terrorism.:mad: :mad: :censored: :censored: :scream: :scream:

I think Bono is exactly who he says he is: a spoiled rotten rock star with Catholic guilt. I think his children and the death of his father have only accelerated his global activism.

The fact that he's obviously a workaholic plays a big part and I'd also say that ego plays a small part as well.

There, Bono, your time is up. Have my secretary schedule your next appointment.

I like both Elvis's comment and dssmith's! And to add my 2 cents....well, it may be laughable, a rockstar changing the world, but he IS doing more then alot of people are doing about it! "All is takes for evil to prevail is for a good man to do nothing!"Well, Bono IS a good man! I applaud Bono for all his hard work!! "There's a difference in living, and living well.."! U go Bono!

Personally, I will never accept the arguement that Bono's humanitarian work is in some way influenced by his ego. His stage presence and confidence with the media can come off as a bit egotistical, but as far as motivation is concerned, seeing him twice this past winter holding the hand of a dying African woman and the look in his eyes when he spoke about the situation in Africa cancelled any thought that his ego might be at play. The motivation behind his compassion is truly genuine and it weighs on my conscience that he does so much and I feel so helpless. He was right when he said on Oprah that after you've discovered the facts about Africa, it is impossible to turn a blind eye. I would give my life to his cause if only I knew how.

Personally, I've always held the opinion that people with influence should use it and be aware of it. I think there aren't enough people in influencial positions who actually use their position to a selfless advantage.
Ok, so people may get sick of hearing about Bono all the time and might start seeing it as if he's trying to single-handedly change/save the world or whatever but what I don't think people stop to think about is that it's better to do something than nothing at all :)

Squishy Peanut said:
Personally, I've always held the opinion that people with influence should use it and be aware of it. I think there aren't enough people in influencial positions who actually use their position to a selfless advantage.
Ok, so people may get sick of hearing about Bono all the time and might start seeing it as if he's trying to single-handedly change/save the world or whatever but what I don't think people stop to think about is that it's better to do something than nothing at all :)

:up: I agree. And whenever I feel like criticizing someone's publicity or hear someone criticizing Bono, I think "what have I/they done that gives me/them the right to criticize and judge the good works of other people?"

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone...

Just to add some more 2 cents:

I find it refreshing when someone like Bono--someone richer than most of us will EVER be, famous than most of us will EVER be--uses his fame and money to try to change the world...but does it in a way that makes the rest of us think that WE can do something too. He doesn't just write a check and then sit back and smoke a cigar and think "Hey, I've done my part." He's actually IN it, going to Africa, meeting people, and yelling about it whenever he can into a microphone. There are too many famous people out there who seem to care very little and do even less for the world--it's all about themselves, and their actions (often negative ones) influence people to act more selfishly. There are too many lousy rock stars, sports stars, etc. who use their fame to just further their own fame.

I often hear people say that Bono should just shut up and sing. And when I hear that, I usually think that the person who said it is a miserable SOB who is afraid of the world, and afriad of his/her own place in the world--and, above all, guilty about not doing anything FOR the world. It's like telling a homeless person to just shut up and go be homeless, or a secretary to just shut up and go type, or a fry cook to just shut up and go flip a burger. It puts people in boxes with no hope for change, for the future.

If it wasn't for U2, my life and world would be smaller. And I wouldn't feel the fire that I do to DO SOMETHING to help change the world. One person alone can't change the world, but one person can spark the change in another.

K, I'm done babbling.
And I hope the guy who bitched finds some happiness somewhere.

enggirl

enggirl said:
Just to add some more 2 cents:

I find it refreshing when someone like Bono--someone richer than most of us will EVER be, famous than most of us will EVER be--uses his fame and money to try to change the world...but does it in a way that makes the rest of us think that WE can do something too. He doesn't just write a check and then sit back and smoke a cigar and think "Hey, I've done my part." He's actually IN it, going to Africa, meeting people, and yelling about it whenever he can into a microphone. There are too many famous people out there who seem to care very little and do even less for the world--it's all about themselves, and their actions (often negative ones) influence people to act more selfishly. There are too many lousy rock stars, sports stars, etc. who use their fame to just further their own fame.

I often hear people say that Bono should just shut up and sing. And when I hear that, I usually think that the person who said it is a miserable SOB who is afraid of the world, and afriad of his/her own place in the world--and, above all, guilty about not doing anything FOR the world. It's like telling a homeless person to just shut up and go be homeless, or a secretary to just shut up and go type, or a fry cook to just shut up and go flip a burger. It puts people in boxes with no hope for change, for the future.

If it wasn't for U2, my life and world would be smaller. And I wouldn't feel the fire that I do to DO SOMETHING to help change the world. One person alone can't change the world, but one person can spark the change in another.

K, I'm done babbling.
And I hope the guy who bitched finds some happiness somewhere.

enggirl

Great post. I agree wholeheartedly. I wouldn't be in a charity that builds wells in Africa if it weren't for Bono. Said charity would not *exist* if it weren't for Bono. Click on the African Well Fund's link in my sig........and make a difference, no matter who you are! I'm just a lousy library clerk..........

Back
Top Bottom