the deer/elk/caribou mystery solved......kind of - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > PLEBA > PLEBA Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2002, 09:43 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Local Time: 04:18 PM
the deer/elk/caribou mystery solved......kind of

hello people

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but I couldn't find it in any old threads, so......

I just bought the best of dvd, and there's a little blurb written by the director about each video in the booklet that comes with it. Anyway, for Electrical Storm it says:

'Oh, and don't miss the deer. It signals innocence, sexuality and foreboding says Anton'

Just thought I'd mention it, cos I know it was driving a few PLEBANs nuts not knowing (including me!) Not much of a detailed explanation, but at least it's something! Sorry if it's old news........

Old 12-03-2002, 09:59 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:18 AM
Erm.

Thanks!

But its still odd....

At least thats SOMETHING!

Old 12-03-2002, 11:36 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:18 AM

Thanks!

Yup, odd it still is. Anyone have explanations as to what innocence and foreboding it symbolizes?
Old 12-03-2002, 12:45 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dizzy
Thanks!

Yup, odd it still is. Anyone have explanations as to what innocence and foreboding it symbolizes?
OK, I've been thinking on this for a while but now that the deer thing has be explained (sort of), here's my take on the video.

Larry and the mermaid were together on land (all those Sam in pants, Larry in mesh scenes), but she started turning back into a mermaid and Larry knew that the land was not the place for her. Instead of saying this, he acts like a big jerk, they have a huge fight and she goes back to the sea. He feels terrible about being such a jerk so he fetches her from the sea, but thinks that maybe they can live half-way, hence the tub and shower. Eventually they both realize this cannot work, she's getting weak and he's probably super pruny by now, so they decide to part ways, even though it is hard, and Larry sets his mermaid free.
So the way the whole innocence and foreboding thing works out is that the deer shows up at one of the happier points in the relationship -- they're on land, they're making out all the time, life is great, but it isn't meant to be. The deer is saying that although this is a really great love it will not end happily, that eventually the lovers will have to part, each sacrificing for the sake of the other.

Or maybe this is all BS and the Electrical Storm video was just an opportunity for all of us to see Larry Mullen wet and macking with a mermaid.
Old 12-03-2002, 12:57 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by dsmith2904

OK, I've been thinking on this for a while but now that the deer thing has be explained (sort of), here's my take on the video.

Larry and the mermaid were together on land (all those Sam in pants, Larry in mesh scenes), but she started turning back into a mermaid and Larry knew that the land was not the place for her. Instead of saying this, he acts like a big jerk, they have a huge fight and she goes back to the sea. He feels terrible about being such a jerk so he fetches her from the sea, but thinks that maybe they can live half-way, hence the tub and shower. Eventually they both realize this cannot work, she's getting weak and he's probably super pruny by now, so they decide to part ways, even though it is hard, and Larry sets his mermaid free.
So the way the whole innocence and foreboding thing works out is that the deer shows up at one of the happier points in the relationship -- they're on land, they're making out all the time, life is great, but it isn't meant to be. The deer is saying that although this is a really great love it will not end happily, that eventually the lovers will have to part, each sacrificing for the sake of the other.

Or maybe this is all BS and the Electrical Storm video was just an opportunity for all of us to see Larry Mullen wet and macking with a mermaid.

that is the funniest thing i've heard today.

there's a deer/caribou/elk thing in that video?
Old 12-03-2002, 01:48 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Dsmith, I your explanation. It made a lot of sense with a lot of humour!
Old 12-03-2002, 01:50 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored

there's a deer/caribou/elk thing in that video?
Yup, it appears when Larry and Samantha were making out (but ofcourse) in a room, I think.

Here...

Thanks to Kristie for posting cool vid stills on another thread.
Old 12-03-2002, 01:53 PM   #8
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Quote:

Yep, that's what I'm thinkin
Old 12-03-2002, 02:42 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:18 AM
here I am in Pleba again

but I think i understand the symbolism.
it is an ancient symbol, pre-christianity.
it's not a reindeer...it's a stag.
find out about Druids and Beltane
or watch the movie "the Mists of Avalon"

just imho.
I told a friend about the "electrical storm " video clip yesterday. I find it very very powerful imagery....superb. And so well acted...and the light ahhhhhh.
I'm going home to visit my mermaid today....I'll miss my stag, but it's time to go to the sea.
woooooooooohooooooooooooooo
Old 12-03-2002, 03:38 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:18 PM
Quote:
So the way the whole innocence and foreboding thing works out is that the deer shows up at one of the happier points in the relationship -- they're on land, they're making out all the time, life is great, but it isn't meant to be.
Yeah, I really like this part............they're making out all the time...........
Old 12-03-2002, 04:10 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

LMAO
I have my own interpretation of this thing which is sorta a glommation of everyone else's... anyway, for anyone who missed the deer, I have a gif cos I'm a gifmaking fool

Old 12-03-2002, 07:43 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

very amusing though...this deer/elk/thing...wierd...

i don't have a tv in my current place of residence, so in order to watch any videos i have to battle my internet connection, so i haven't seen this video more than 5 times, but i should have noticed this deer...
Old 12-03-2002, 07:48 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:18 AM
Quote:

"and he's probably super pruny by now"

Hahaha!

Seriously, though, that's actually a good interpretation. That makes a lot of sense. Works for me.

And at least the deer thing makes a little more sense now-I should share this interpretation with my mom and sister, 'cause they don't get the deer thing, either! .

Angela
Old 12-03-2002, 08:05 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:18 PM
Thanks! We had a discussion about this on another U2 list but never really figured out why the deer was in the video. At least now I have a few clues!
Old 12-03-2002, 10:12 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

And thank GOD for that

Quote:

Or maybe the Electrical Storm video was just an opportunity for all of us to see Larry Mullen wet
Works for me!

Old 12-03-2002, 10:34 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 08:18 AM
The next person that meets Bono (maybe in the heartland) has gotta ask him what the deer means cuz I am so curious what he would say!!!