Surrender - Chapter 10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WildHoney

Blue Crack Distributor
A REAL Life PLEBAn and proud of it....YES we are R
Disclaimer: Totally untrue, don't know the band although I wish I did. etc, etc.....

End Of Chapter 9

“Is Michael with you?” Liam looked around to find Michael.

“No he’s at a business meeting all day so thought I’d come see the sights of Dublin”, Sadie conscious of the looks she was getting from passers by; a scantily dressed woman talking to a priest.

“Come and have a cup of tea with me” Liam guided her through the bustling crowd so they wouldn’t be in the way.

“I’m not so sure, we‘re already getting weird looks” Sadie blushed

“Wha’ if I do this, will this help?” Liam said removing his collar and unbuttoning his shirt

“That’ll do nicely” she smiled. “So where we’re going?

“Let’s go to Bewley’s on Grafton Street, my treat” Liam said offering his arm for Sadie to cling to.

99d93364.jpg

“So where’s the meetin’ then?” Michael made himself comfortable in Daniel’s front passenger seat.

The ó Murchadha had a strict order, Daniel, James, Michael, Matt, and then Paul. Nothing happened without Daniel’s say so, and even then Michael Sr would step in, if he thought things were out of control.

“The Clarence on Wellington Quay”, Danny stared at his brother.

“Howya Boys!” Michael turned to acknowledge Matt & Paul on the back seat

Michael refocused his attention on Danny, “So why are we meetin’ at that dump?”

“Why? The Mockie’s won’t suspect anything that’s why. The General tends to be left alone in crap places like that”, Matt interrupted.

“Anyway that’s where Jimmy is, making arrangements with the management to get a room we can cover from our building opposite” Danny looked at his brothers.

“So have we found out what General Gobshite wants?” Michael liked to be forewarned.

“Haven’t a bleedin’ clue!! “ Matt’s contacts hadn’t been able to provide him with any information. “So it must be big, the General’s playing this card close to his chest”

“Ya man’s a manky muppet anyway, so who gives a feck” Paul hated the guy; well he thought he owned Dublin.

Danny drove the car into O’Connell Street.

“Nearly there boys, now play it cool. The General wanted this meet so obviously he needs OUR help. And nothing is agreed today. We’ll go back to Murphy’s and discuss it there. Alright? ”

“Alrite”, Matt & Paul replied in unison

“Mickey...?” Daniel snapped at Michael.

“Yeah, whatever” Michael would listen but he had a gut feeling the General had requested his presence because he only really wanted him, but had to go through the ó Murchadha hierarchy.

“Hey isn’t that Sadie” Matt would know her arse anywhere.

“Yeah it is, and she’s with Holy Joe” Paul chuckled

“Paul don’t call him that!! He maybe a priest but Liam is still our brother. A little respect please.” Danny was irritated that his other brothers couldn’t accept Liam’s calling.

As they drove past Michael looked at Sadie, holding Liam’s arm. “So why the feck is he not wearing his collar and walking around with a woman on his arm then?

The van chugged its way towards Harwich. They had a mini tour of Holland and Germany lined up before they traveled to America. Edge, Adam and Larry had been gagging to ask Bono a question, why was he so happy? They had decided to wait for him to say something, but Adam couldn’t wait any longer.

“So come on Bono, you going to tell us?” Adam enquired

“What, there’s nothing to tell” Bono quipped back

“There isn’t?” Edge’s eyebrows raised in disbelief, momentarily stopping his guitar strumming.

“Nope” Bono replied refusing to look up from his notebook.

“So why have you had a smile as wide as the Irish Sea on your face since we met up yesterday” Adam probing for details.

“Yeah you have, and it’s bleedin’ annoying” Larry was really just as intrigued as the others.

“Maybe I’m just happy to be with you guys”, he smirked at them all.

“Maybe you are, but we know it’s something more than that” Edge informed Bono

Bono didn’t respond. He stayed silent.

“Its girl related. You got laid didn’t you?” Adam teased Bono

“As a matter of fact, it was something better than that”, Bono responded taking the bait. Shit now he would have to tell them.

Bewley’s was busy as usual.

“Wow this place is heavin'” Liam scanned the café for a table.” Hold on one minute I have an idea.” He said to Sadie as he fetched his collar from his pocket.

“Excuse me Father, would you like me table?” a middle aged man stood up

“That’s very kind of you, my fine man. I wouldn’t want to be rushing you though” Liam switched to priestly mode instantaneously

“Tis alrigh’ father, I was just leaving.” The man replied

“May the good lord, bless you” Liam replied smiling at the man.” My sister and I appreciate your generosity. “

The man scurried off into the sunshine.

“Liam isn’t that abusing your authority” Sadie whispered as she made herself comfortable.

“I’ll go to confession later” Liam laughed.” Anyway I have to have some benefits.”

“Hello Father, may I get you something?” A woman asked

“Oh, could you bring one of your fine afternoon teas for my sister & me self” Liam smiled at her

“No problem Father” the woman walked off

“Wow I presumed it was self service in here, well my da always told me it was” Sadie chuckled.

“It is, but I ‘m not going to refuse a devoted parishioners request, am I?” Liam smiled and anyway afternoon tea isn’t served until 3pm”

Sadie looked at her watch, “Liam you are so bold.”

The time was 1.30pm

As they enjoyed their tea, they got to know each other better. Liam admitted he’d been a tear away but had decided that he needed something more and turned to God and the church.

Sadie told him of her love for all things Irish, and for a new band.

“So you like U2 then?” Liam asked

“Yeah , and the lead singer Bono is such a hunk” Sadie blushed as she realized what she had said in front of not only a priest but Michael’s brother.

Liam nearly spat out his tea as he tried not to laugh. “It’s alright, I won’t tell anyone.”

Sadie stayed quiet, she was so embarrassed,

Liam sensing her awkwardness broke the silence. “Want to go and see some U2 related places?”

“Like what?” Sadie was wonder where he could take her

“Well the recording studios, you never know they may be in there and we’ll get to meet them” Liam knew all their hangouts, “and then a few pubs they’ve played and Bono’s birthplace.”

“Sounds great although I don’t think we’ll meet them” Sadie smiled. She knew they wouldn’t be there as she already had the insider information.

“You never know, Sadie” Liam smiled.

The silence was broken as the car doors slammed.

The Murphy brothers walked towards their pub, looking smart in their black suits with white shirts. It was one thing that had been drummed into them growing up, look smart as it brings more respect. They walked to their snug and Danny nodded to the barman that drinks were required.

“Well that was interesting” Matt looked for his brother response
“Yeah to say the least” Paul removed a fag from its packet and sparked up.

“Boys, as I told the General we won’t be party to his plans.” Danny didn’t like the idea at all, the feeling in his gut telling him to stay well away from association with the General.

“Why not? It sounded Bleedin' deadly to me” Michael had liked The General’s ideas.

“Deadly being the operative word, because if they caught wind of it, that’s what we’d be. They’d have no qualms about wiping out us as well as the women and kids.” Danny looked sternly at Michael

“But that’s the beauty of it, as it’s in London they won’t find out” Michael obviously wanted to make a coalition with The General.

Danny looked At Jimmy for support.

“Look Mickey, we could discuss this until the end of the world it’s never going to be a good idea. Danny has spoken and he’s right. Da worked for years to give us this business, He won their respect and we have continued the silent treaty that was formed.” Jimmy pleaded

“Mickey, you know as well as I do what they’re capable of. Compared to them the General is a pussy” Danny wondered if he should call his dad in on this one. No it would make him look weak; best keep him out of it.

“Look we have the hash, poteen, and protection businesses. That’s enough for now. Alrite?” Jimmy looked at Michael.

“Yeah alright” Michael annoyed at missing what he thought was an awesome opportunity.” I think we’re Eejits for not doing it, but as I’m not the boss”

“Right are we finished? I want ta get off me face” Paul enquired as he removed his blow pouch from his pocket.

A figure approached the table, Decco a local Bowsie, who sided with whoever paid the most.

“Miccccheal” Decco stuttered.

“Excuse me a moment” Michael grabbed hold of him and dragged him outside.

Danny looked at the others. He nodded across the bar. His man followed Michael outside.

His man returned a few minutes later walking into the jacks. Danny excused himself.

“Something about Sadie? Mickey had her followed by Decco” The man reported.

“Thanks Charlie, good work” Daniel slipped him some punts.

Danny wondered why he would have Sadie followed. What was Michael playing at? Talking of Michael where was he?

Michael bundled Decco around to the back courtyard.

“I told ya not to approach me, I said walk in the pub and I’d meet you in the jacks” Michael angrily chastised Decco

“Soo-oo-rrry Mickey”, Decco’s fear worsening his speech

Michael picked Decco up lifting him by his collar,” Never call me Mickey, ya little fecker. To you I’m Mr. Murphy, rite.” Michael’s nostrils flaring from his anger.

Decco could just about breathe, he gasped for air as Michael dropped him.

“So what ya find out?” Michael stared at the heap of man at his feet.

“Well she got the b-b-bus and b-bumped into Liam” Decco paused trying to calm himself down

“They went to B-b-bewley’s had tea and then he t-t-took her to Windmill Lane, T-t-talbot street and a few pubs and then s-s-saw her on her b-b-bus home, where she is now.” Decco hoped he could leave now.

“So there was no funny business?” Michael helped him to his feet.

“N-n-no, t-t-they behaved just like a b-b-brother and sister.” Decco just wanted to run.

Michael turned to leave.

“W-w-well you can Póg mo thóin, M-m-michael M-m-murphy” Decco cursed quietly annoyed that he hadn’t even got anything for his trouble.

Michael spun around “What you gawking at??

Decco looked at Michael “N-n-nothing Mr. M-m-murphy”

Michael rushed him, giving him a deadener, right in his groin, Decco immediately fell the ground. Michael went to kick him, he felt a force pulling him back. He turned to hit the intruder.

Danny ducked. He knew how Michael fought, he’d trained him. “Stop it right now; you’re a fucking header Mickey. Now go back and sit in the bar.” He commanded.

Michael glared at Daniel. The anger still pent up inside him, he needed to release it. Michael thought about talking his brother on, but knew he didn’t stand a chance against a boxing champ. He turned and walked back into the pub.

“You alrigh’ Decco? “ Danny helped the injured man to his feet. You need a doctor or anythin’?”

“N-no t-t-thank you, Danny, I’ll be g-g-grand now” Decco looked up, his face contorted with agony.

“Now listen, the least I can do after my brother acted like that is drive you home”, Danny helped the man to his car, and helped him into the seat.

Danny started the engine, “Now Decco, you can tell me all about what Michael had you do today”

Decco squealed like a girl, giving Danny the whole story.

“Well I got a mysterious call that my da took, and he said it was from an English/Irish girl so I immediately thought it was Sadie. But the old man had told her I was away. So I instructed him that I was expecting a call from a Girl called Sadie and if she called to take a message." Bono started.

"No way", Larry sarcastically responded.

“So anyway a few days later she phoned again, thankfully this time I was at home. She was about to talk when that wanker of a boyfriend walked in, I was confused for a bit when she started calling me Ma but then I realized why. “Bono hoped he wasn’t boring them.

“Wow, Sherlock Holmes must be turning in his grave” Larry teased.

So by now I had the hump, knowing Sadie’s in Dublin, but I can't meet her. Then I have a moment of inspiration. I remembered her boyfriend mentioned the name of a church, so I checked with my Da and went down there to catch a glimpse of her.” Bono paused

“Wow you’re getting inspired now? Does that mean you’ve started writing lyrics too?” Larry couldn’t help himself.

Edge and Adam glared at Larry; he looked down and bit his lip, trying to control his urge to be sarcastic

“It was that Our Lady of Dolours church; you know the one by the Tolka River.” Bono looked at Edge

“Oh the pyramid church in Glasnevin?” Edge interjected before Larry could get a word in

“So I sat myself down and waited for the service to finish. Eventually I saw her. She looked like an angel; she was exquisite, the sun shining on her giving her a celestial glow”. Bono could picture that moment even now, it was imprinted on his brain.

Silence. Even Larry was now quiet. The group looked like story time at a nursery, the teacher telling the kids a story, all of them listening to every word.

“Then she looked straight at me, as if she knew I was there”

“My God what did you do?” Adam quietly asked.

“I couldn't leave it at that, so I got myself into the church without anyone noticing and hoped she would follow” Bono looked at the boys, hanging on his every word.

“And did she?” three voices enquired in unison.

“She did” Bono nodded

“So where did you go?” Edge asked.

“We hid in the confessional box.” Bono waited for their response

“No way” Larry was shocked.

“There was only a dim light from the candle on the other side of the grill, but enough for me to see her face. I held her face in my hands, touching it’s every contour as she sighed at the touch of my thick fingers against her soft skin. We stared lustfully into each others eyes as my hands moved down her body, touching her, feeling her.”

“Bono, you are such a pervert, in a church as well!” Adam was astonished.

“My hands stopped at her waist as I pulled her even closer to me, bending my head placing my lips onto her soft pouting mouth. She groaned again.” Bono was enjoying the moment, all the band hanging on his every word.

“I've kissed girls before but nothing has ever felt as sensual or erotic as that kiss. I've never felt an attraction as sensational as this. Never have I been as horny or randy as I was then, yet in a deep meaningful way.” Bono sighed.

“God I could take you now”, i whispered, BJ wanting to burst from the wanton lust. Sadie sighed, willingly offering herself to me”. Bono smiled cheekily

“Don’t tell me, you fucked in a church” Edge was appalled at the thought.

“No we didn't shag. A priest entered the other box before I could even unhook her bra.”

“Oh my God, what did you do?” Adam loved this.

“Sadie knelt down and I crouched beside her”, Bono looked at the enthralled group.

“So what did Sadie say? Did the priest not realize?” Larry had never heard anything like it.

“Well I don’t think that it’s appropriate for me to say what she confessed to but she got a disapproving sigh from the priest.” Bono didn’t want to betray her trust

Adam laughed. Edge looked at him sternly.

“We kissed again and then she had to rush out, as she was leaving one of the Murphy's was walking into the church. She distracted him and I made my get away.”

“That’s an awesome story, but in a church. That’s not very appropriate. You’ll be going straight to hell if you’d have fornicated in God’s house” Edge was disgusted at Bono’s behaviour he was meant to be a Christian

Bono looked at them; he could tell Larry & Edge were disappointed that a member of Shalom had acted this way. He was going to continue and tell them about the quit conversation, but thought better of it.

They sat in silence for the rest of the journey.

“Michael slow down” Sadie beseeched him as he sped down the bendy country lanes.

“Where’s your sense of adventure Sads?” Michael intentionally put his foot down onto the pedal increasing the cars speed.

“You gonna kill us both. Please stop it, you’re scaring me”, her hands shaking as she tried to steady herself.

The fear in her voice turned him on. He controlled her destiny; she had no control over anything. He had all the power.

He slowed down as they approached her mum’s village. Its sign “Welcome to Slane, Co Meath,” wanted to make him puke. Michael hated the countryside, hated the people, and hated the stench of the fields and farms.

“It’s the second house on the left after the church” Sadie informed him.” I wonder what it’s like”

“Won’t you recognize it?” Michael asked.

“Michael I haven’t seen it since I was 3” she rolled her eyes at him

“Alrite, I only asked.” He wanted to keep her sweet, he hadn’t told her about the surprise he had planned for her.

They pilled up outside her ancestral home. A traditional Irish cottage that had been extended over the years,

“Ahh it’s so quaint, isn’t it Michael?” Sadie smiled at him

“Yeah, it’s lovely, now are you getting out of the car?” He just needed to get this over with, get back to where he belonged, the smoke,

The front door opened, an older version of Sadie walked down the path to greet them.

“Sadie, my daughter.” She hugged Sadie. “Now stand back and let me look at you.”

“Ma, this is Michael Murphy, the man I told you about.” Sadie looked at her mum then Michael.

He reached forward and shook hands with Mrs. Murray “Pleased to meet ya”

“Please come in, I have the pot warming for a nice cup of tea. “ Mary Murray followed the young couple into the house.

As they sat and had tea, Michael charmed his way into her mother’s affections. They’d never been close, but Michael had her mother hanging on his every word. Michael loved all the attention, Mary was asking him about himself, she hadn’t even asked her daughter how she’d been since she returned home.

Sadie sighed. She wished her father was here. Then she realized he was. This was his family’s home, he’d been born within these walls, played in the garden, and his essence was with her. She walked into the garden, walking amongst the flower beds, with the daffodils beginning to poke through looking for the spring sunshine. She reached a tree at the bottom of the garden, the remains of a tree house within its branches. As she run her fingers across the bark, she saw the initials TM; her beloved da had carved them into the tree many years ago. As she run her fingers tracing his initial a breeze appeared from nowhere. She swore it whispered her name as it passed through the branches.

“Daddy” she whispered.

Mary had excused herself; he looked into the garden for Sadie. She seemed to be in a world of her own, “Let’s see what we have here” Michael looked over at the cabinet, might find something valuable or to his advantage.

He walked up to the cabinet, “What the hell?”

He looked at the photo. It was of a man in his late teens, early 20’s. Nothing unusual about that, except for the fact it was the image of Conor. He’d always looked different to the rest of the Murphy men, but there was no doubt in Michael’s mind that this guy and Conor were clones.
“I see you found, Thomas”, Mary had returned. She walked up to Michael. He handed her the photo. “He was a good man, a very good husband and a doting father”

“I’m sure I would have liked him” Michael smiled at Mary. Although she was the image of Sadie, she seemed to have no soul in her eyes. It saddened him.

“He would have loved you. Michael” She patted Michael’s shoulder. “Now where’s that daughter of mine?” She placed the photo back on the shelf not realizing a photo had fallen to the floor.

Michael picked the photo off the floor, it was an old black and white photo of a baby, on the back were the words “Conor Thomas Murray, 20 June 1963, RIP”. It was of Sadie’s brother, his birthday was the same as his brother Conor. How spooky was that?

Baby big eyes picture! :love:

God, I purely hate Michael. :madspit: But the plot thickens. Muahaha!

Back
Top Bottom