PGP - are you too good to show us your bloopers??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got sidetracked by Crazy Tonight from Helsinki... dammit Matt, did you *have* to go away from the screen just before Larry walked up to Adam? :sad::lol: *This* close to the front view of the ass slap...

I'm just relieved. I felt so awful for you yesterday when it didn't work. I was all "NOOOOOOO! But it's a great program, I swear!" :sad:

:lol:

I got my current tv in early 05, specifically with watching U2 dvds in mind. :reject:

I believed you, was just a bit pissy I spent so much on those double layer dvds when I didn't even need to! :doh: Failure on my account.

The program is really useful indeed. :D

Ah nice. I have a really old tiny tv that I've had for about 9 years. So I could use a new one, but then there's U2 tours, and now the aquarium I want... so I keep pushing it ahead :lol: I will get it by christmas this year though. Going flatscreen. :yes:

:uhoh: My laptop isn't reading my freshly burned Amsterdam dvd. Dvd player isn't reading it either :sad:

I believed you, was just a bit pissy I spent so much on those double layer dvds when I didn't even need to! :doh: Failure on my account.

The program is really useful indeed. :D

Ah nice. I have a really old tiny tv that I've had for about 9 years. So I could use a new one, but then there's U2 tours, and now the aquarium I want... so I keep pushing it ahead :lol: I will get it by christmas this year though. Going flatscreen. :yes:

:uhoh: My laptop isn't reading my freshly burned Amsterdam dvd. Dvd player isn't reading it either :sad:

Sometimes it takes a few discs to get used to the program. If you've checked the usual problems and everything seems to be fine, sometimes it just boils down to the disc itself being bad. I've found a few brands that have been very reliable for me, and I generally stick to buying them.

Also, some dvd players are touchy about playing some burnt discs. We have two dvd players and a PS2 here, and I find that at least one of them will play any disc I've burned.

I hear you about expenses...I desperately need a new home theatre system, but I wanted to get a good one next (by good, I mean mid range, not a super-duper crazy audio-videophile one). I'm very tempted to just go out and get another cheap one, though. I shouldn't. I should wait.

I hate delayed gratification. :grumpy:

I don't even have a stereo or something like that. :uhoh:

Hm, but the Hannover dvd played fine on my dvd player. Strange that the next two aren't working. The brand is Sony, you'd expect good quality.

:lol: Cori's lost weekend. Are you using IMG Burn for that?

Are you reconstructing shows, or are you just burning random files you've found over the years? Have you checked out Pirate Bay? I've found some cool stuff on there. Took DAYS to download some of it, but it was worth it.

Yep, I'm using KeepVid.com to download the videos into FLV files, and then I found a freeware program to convert them to .avi files, then I use another freeware program to compile them into DVD format, and then burn using ImgBurn. *whew*

All of my complete shows were downloaded (or traded) already in DVD format. I'm just trying to clean up all my discs of misc vids - some of the files I don't need anymore because they're on official releases that I have, and others are kind of bad quality, and I've also ended up with duplicates.

Also, I can fit more on a disc now - some of the discs only have 2 or 3 things on them, for various reasons.

Though I still need to buy a flatscreen to view the concerts on. :wink:

I think after Ireland next year, that'll be my next "big" purchase. My TV works fine, so I haven't felt the need to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading yet, but I'm about ready to make that my next upgrade. Barring a car meltdown or something. :uhoh: (knock on wood)

I don't even have a stereo or something like that. :

Oh, man. A stereo or something like it is my must. I listen to my iPod a lot, but I love having a stereo. I'm not big on listening to or watching stuff on my laptop if I don't have to.

Do what you did yesterday and open the disc file contents on your computer, see if the data is on it, etc.

If it is, I mentioned yesterday that I've found that expanding the files in the ConvertX window sometimes shows you what's going on. For example, one time I was burning dvds that ended up not having any audio, and I clicked on those plus signs, and I could see that there was no audio file showing up.

I think that's before I learned that all I had to click on to burn the dvd was the video_ts.ifo file, and I was trying to click on something else.

Or, bad disc, like I said. I hope not, because usually if it is, then it's likely you'll find more in the batch you bought.

I have fancy speakers I can hook up to my dvd player or laptop, and I still live at home so I can use my dad's fancy system. But yeah, nothing on my room. Got my ipods with Sennheiser headphones so I can listen to music. I reckon I'll get my stereo set as soon as I get my own place.

Do what you did yesterday and open the disc file contents on your computer, see if the data is on it, etc.

If it is, I mentioned yesterday that I've found that expanding the files in the ConvertX window sometimes shows you what's going on. For example, one time I was burning dvds that ended up not having any audio, and I clicked on those plus signs, and I could see that there was no audio file showing up.

I think that's before I learned that all I had to click on to burn the dvd was the video_ts.ifo file, and I was trying to click on something else.

Or, bad disc, like I said. I hope not, because usually if it is, then it's likely you'll find more in the batch you bought.

I think bad disc. I used only the file you said and it said for both that it had video files in them(it's a split dvd). Could it be that combined the dvd runs for 2,5 hrs which normally wouldn't fit? `thought it should resize it right?

Oh, gotcha. Yeah, quite a bit different when you don't have your own place!

I had a shelf unit boombox/stereo thing for a long time. It had decent sound for what it was. Then finally, I realized that it was time for an actual stereo system with good components and quality speakers and stuff.

Friends had said it before - "Music is so important to you, how you can stand that tiny fake stereo?" I finally agreed. :lol:

I started a thread here to get advice on buying speakers and components, and I'm really, really happy with it. So glad I finally spent the money to upgrade - completely worth it. Plus, I hooked my DVDs up to it, so all my U2 DVDs sound amazing. :heart:

Yep, I'm using KeepVid.com to download the videos into FLV files, and then I found a freeware program to convert them to _avi files, then I use another freeware program to compile them into DVD format, and then burn using ImgBurn. *whew*

All of my complete shows were downloaded (or traded) already in DVD format. I'm just trying to clean up all my discs of misc vids - some of the files I don't need anymore because they're on official releases that I have, and others are kind of bad quality, and I've also ended up with duplicates.

Also, I can fit more on a disc now - some of the discs only have 2 or 3 things on them, for various reasons.

I think after Ireland next year, that'll be my next "big" purchase. My TV works fine, so I haven't felt the need to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading yet, but I'm about ready to make that my next upgrade. Barring a car meltdown or something. :uhoh: (knock on wood)

Oh, man. A stereo or something like it is my must. I listen to my iPod a lot, but I love having a stereo. I'm not big on listening to or watching stuff on my laptop if I don't have to.

If you've found a system that works for you, you may want to stick with it (I know that feeling!)...but if you feel like it, ConvertX will do all that for you in one step, you put the .flv file into the program (and it's free on demonoid :shifty: ) and it converts and burns.

That's why I HATE not having a home theatre system right now, I can't stand listening to stuff on my laptop, ugh, so tinny and awful. :(

My last one was a home theatre in a box (cost me $800), y'know, with the dvd player (5 disc :drool: ) and receiver all in one. The dvd player soon screwed up, so then I got a dvd recorder and hooked that up to it. Then that lasted a year, just inside the warranty, and the store actually replaced it, even though they didn't have to, and then that one only lasted just over a year. Now we're using a cheapo dvd player that cost $40, and the old receiver isn't even hooked up.

So, I want to get a separate receiver/dvd player/speakers this time. Sooo tempting to just go out and grab a $250 all in one again, though.

Ooh, ConvertX, huh? If you put a bunch of FLV files into it, will it burn them all into one DVD-type file thingy?

I think bad disc. I used only the file you said and it said for both that it had video files in them(it's a split dvd). Could it be that combined the dvd runs for 2,5 hrs which normally wouldn't fit? `thought it should resize it right?

:( Bleh.

When you click the file to put it into ConvertX, it should say the length of the dvd, in this case, 150 minutes. And then you should see it go through the conversion and burning process. For me, for that length of show, it takes around an hour to convert, then 10 - 15 minutes to burn.

Yeah, the program should be able to shrink it down to one dvd without you doing anything...all that happens is the more you put on the disc, the lower the quality - eg, instead of excellent quality, it'll be good quality (which I really can't see much of a difference between the two, anyway). If it gets to low quality, you'll get a warning that you should remove some of the data - like, if you're burning a tv show and you try to put 5 episodes on a disc, you may have to remove one episode to get it back to good quality.

It's weird though, that it won't even play on your computer. That means there must have been a problem.

Ooh, ConvertX, huh? If you put a bunch of FLV files into it, will it burn them all into one DVD-type file thingy?

Yup. :)

Hey girls. :kiss:

I just got stuck in the 360 pic thread :combust: and I managed to burn my pizza. :doh::reject::lmao:

Now I have to find something else to eat. :uhoh:

Its not my fault, I blame the leather pants. :shifty:

:lmao:

:lol:!!! Poor Jem. :hug:

I'm not sure yet if the program I downloaded last night is a limited trial, or if it's actually, you know, "free." If it turns out to be a trial, I'll try that. Thanks!

Hey girls. :kiss:

I just got stuck in the 360 pic thread :combust: and I managed to burn my pizza. :doh::reject::lmao:

Now I have to find something else to eat. :uhoh:

Its not my fault, I blame the leather pants. :shifty:

:lmao: Blame the leather pants!

I guess the problem was the dvd VP, I'll try again later. Now I shall go off to sports. :wave: See ya ladies!

Oh, and GG, Sony aren't necessarily good quality discs. In fact, I'm pretty sure they're lower end.

There's a lot of stuff online about good discs vs bad. The one brand that seems to consistently get good ratings is Verbatim. There are a few others, but if you google blank dvd reviews, you can find which ones.

Yeah, when I was Googling about DL discs, I found several claims that Verbatim DVD+Rs were the only DL discs worth buying.

I've had good luck with other brands for my regular DVD needs, and CDRs as well. It helps that I find decent brands on sale in ridiculous deals at the store all the time. 100 CDRs for $15? yes, please.

:lol :!!! Poor Jem. :hug :

I'm easily distracted. :shifty:

:lmao : Blame the leather pants!

I am. :shifty:

There's a lot of stuff online about good discs vs bad. The one brand that seems to consistently get good ratings is Verbatim. There are a few others, but if you google blank dvd reviews, you can find which ones.

Keeps this in mind. Thanks *hugs*

I tried to Torrent but I couldn't find a compatible program for Mac that would work on my OS :( ( I need to update :lol: )

This time next week I will be watching U2. :hyper::hyper::hyper::combust::faint: ( And will have majorly squeed over Gary :shifty::reject::lol: )

I'm not sure yet if the program I downloaded last night is a limited trial, or if it's actually, you know, "free." If it turns out to be a trial, I'll try that. Thanks!

It'll also let you convert and burn files of multiple formats onto one disk. You literally just click the files you want, and the program does the rest.

Not sure if you noticed me saying before, but if you do end up trying ConvertX, don't use the trial version, it puts a watermark on the screen.

Later GG. :wave:

Ooh, now I am intrigued.

That used to be the bane of my U2-obsessed existence, trying to deal with figuring out which file types I could burn and which would drive me nearly to tears of frustration.

Yeah, when I was Googling about DL discs, I found several claims that Verbatim DVD+Rs were the only DL discs worth buying.

I've had good luck with other brands for my regular DVD needs, and CDRs as well. It helps that I find decent brands on sale in ridiculolus deals at the store all the time. 100 CDRs for $15? yes, please.

I've had fairly good luck with discs, too! The Maxells I've tried suck, so I haven't used them since, but otherwise, I can't even remember the last time I've had to throw a disc away.

The Verbatim I buy are called "value series" which are supposed to be no better than lower end discs, but they've been fine for me. Same with the last few spools of Sony I've bought, they're fine, too. I only use Sony for tv shows, and once or twice an episode, I'll have a jumpy thing where it'll sort of skip, but I assume that's probably the file rather than the disc. That doesn't bother me. If I wanted better quality then I should be actually going out and buying the official dvds, you know?

I've gotten spools of 100 Sony for $22 and spools of Verbatim for around $25 or $26. Sony spools are on sale again today, and I was thinking about picking up another one.

Ooh, now I am intrigued.

That used to be the bane of my U2-obsessed existence, trying to deal with figuring out which file types I could burn and which would drive me nearly to tears of frustration.

I posted this pages back, not sure if you saw it, but it's a list of all the formats it converts and burns. ConvertXtoDVD Video format supported

It's done anything I've ever needed, other than ISOs, but those are quite rare in the U2 world (in fact, both ISOs i've burned lately have been Arcade Fire dvds) and I use IMG Burn for them.

I tried to Torrent but I couldn't find a compatible program for Mac that would work on my OS :( ( I need to update :lol: )

This time next week I will be watching U2. :hyper::hyper::hyper::combust::faint: ( And will have majorly squeed over Gary :shifty::reject::lol: )

Aw. I'm sorry, but I really don't know anything about Mac software. :( I'm sure someone in Vorsprung can tell you though.

SO excited that you get to see the leather U2! :shifty:

Aw. I'm sorry, but I really don't know anything about Mac software. :( I'm sure someone in Vorsprung can tell you though.

SO excited that you get to see the leather U2! :shifty:

:hug: Thanks. I just need to save some money :uhoh::lol: and to upgrade my OS then I can use a decent program which will do it for Snow Leopard OS. :up:

:shh: Leather > U2. :shifty::combust:
pirate.gif

Back
Top Bottom