Is this Bono? I don't think so ... at all.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in a U2 tribute band and I cannot fathom dressing up like Bono offstage. In fact, if truth be told I actually hate dressing up like Bono period, as I feel alot more comfortable in my own skin. However, I love performing U2's music and I realize that to do a tribute justice, you need to dress the part.

I have alot of trouble understanding why people show up to U2 concerts or go in public dressed as Bono - on stage as part of a show is one thing, but in everyday life? Yikes!

Our band performed a private party last weekend and 4 people came up to the stage after our performance asking for an autograph (they were adults in their 40's).

They thought we were U2 and that I was Bono - they actually congratulated me on our Hall of Fane induction last year!lol This is hilarious in it's own right because for starters I am 15 years younger than Bono and about 40-50 pounds lighter!! lol..yeah, I know, I am a sad excuse for a "Bono" in a tribute band but we seem to do ok. :)

I was very clear to these people that we were not U2 and that we were a tribute band, handed them a card with our website and explained the whole "tribute" thing.

For whatever reason, some people do ask us from time to time for autographs and we are always VERY clear (even to kids - especially to kids!) that we are not U2 and we are a U2 tribute show.

I feel weird enough signing autographs as myself let alone as someone else!

As Tony eludes to, anyone who respects U2 and Bono, should know where to draw the line.

These people give the other U2 tributes a very bad rep.

There is a guy in Toronto named Matt who showed up to the U2 shows in Toronto in September dressed as Bono with ACTUAL body guards and tried to force his way through the crowd in GA to get near the ellipse, with his body guards yelling "make room for Bono".

Some people lost their coveted spot they waited in line all day for and others got crushed quite hard because some people thought this guy was Bono and they were trying to get closer to him.

Very sad...move to Vegas....

Maybe someone should send this thread to Pavel (sp?) so he can tell his side of the story, although from the first hand accounts, it sounds quite disturbing...

Cheers,
Brady

ps - lol at the liver function comment - maybe he ate too many tomatoes and carrots? That can actually change the pigment of your skin as well :)

BIggest problem with him being Bono:
That guy is of Latin descent - or at the very least, of a people who have darkish skin naturally.
We all know damn well Bono would NEVER tan that dark. He'd fry his pasty pale ass first. And he's shorter than Bono, I think. Face shape too wide. All manner of isms.

U2 God said:
"Maybe it's best to take personal attacks to a private forum. I am sure Principle Mgmt would much rather prefer if any of you wish to bash one another that you take it offline."

Agree with everything you said, and it was a well stated reply. This is just a sore spot for me because I was once accused of doing this and it wasn't me. Futher, someone told me that this wasn't even Pavel so to him, I appologize, sincerely. Being an impersonater is a bonfide business and source of income for some people and I truly respect that. Any U2 Tribute Band is, in fact, an impersonation. A lot of them are my friends and very good people too.

Peace,
Tony

:up: Some excellent posts here and surprisingly no huge arguments. Altho I don't completely agree with everything LoveU2likeMad stated, I am glad to read your response, Tony, I was expecting something much different. The tone of your original post makes sense now after saying you were once wrongly accused. This imposter, whoever it is, could benefit from spending some quality time with you. It takes a decent, honest person to especially publicly stand corrected and to apologize, so you have all my respect, man, for having done this. Include yourself in the good person category. Keep up the good work, Tony. :applaud:

First thing I noticed was the round face. How could anyone think that is Bono :huh:

Sicy said:
First thing I noticed was the round face. How could anyone think that is Bono :huh:

i still think he would be a better de niro, really....

deniro0000.jpg

Sicy said:

yea,.. he's kinda ... uh... fat..

to comment on the argument started here.. I don't think it's a bad thing that people want to play the bands music, even look like Bono (I mean, c'mon the guy is pretty good looking after all) and you can look up to him, and try be LIKE him, but don't try to BE him.. that's sad.. that's really sad.. :tsk:

I wonder what Bono would have to say to this guy...

Futher, someone told me that this wasn't even Pavel so to him, I appologize, sincerely.
Peace,
Tony

Who told you it wasn't Pavel?? It is FOR SURE him. Look at this site - that is 100% him, and I had a few other people who have seen him in person confirm it.

http://desireu2tribute.com/_wsn/page3.html

Same nose, same trimmed beard same fake tan AND same earring.

My friend is so embarassed, I think she was so excited to meet him and she wanted to so believe that it was him, that she thought it was. And now, of course she feels humiliated. I think the mind is a very tricky thing sometimes and it believes what you want it to... Poor girl. I think she was too excited to see straight.

Oh well. Maybe I'll shoot the guy an email and give him a piece of my mind.

Maybe.

partygirlvox said:
thats so not bono and haha he looks so much like my uncle its uncanny.
(i think thats a real shitty thing to do, actually going round pretending to be bono. and signing things..!? cmon!)

I am still curious to hear more about what the alleged autograph said. Did the impersonator sign his own name or Bono's name? THAT makes the difference to me anyway whether the guy is a real fool or not. Impersonating someone, whether it be a celebrity or entertainer, rock star, politician etc. is one thing....there are far too many attention whores in life alreadyand some obviously really get off on the attention, but to actually sign someone else's name as an autograph is a form of forgery.

Did this impersonator at any point in the contact with this girl lean over and whisper he was NOT really Bono but an impersonator? Perhaps in the girl's excitement she did not hear this or blocked it out. I am not sticking up for anyone here, but the first 2 pics in the thread look very much like Pavel S. of Desire. It is unfair of anyone to accuse him without haveing all the facts straight. We are all at liberty to comment how each of us feel he or any other Bono impersonator doesn't resemble Bono for long lists of reasons, but don't name drop or threaten publicly without having all the facts.

I remember about a month before the Vertigo tour opened last March 2005, there were sightings in places around Mexico (Ensenada) and San Diego of some impersonator trying to generate media attention that he was the REAL Bono. I don't know who that was but it sure stirred up interest in the area! I don't recall this person signing autographs tho.

Carek1230 said:

Did the impersonator sign his own name or Bono's name?

He signed it as BONO. She actually went so far as to get a the two photos framed and matted, along with his autograph.

Carek1230 said:
Did this impersonator at any point in the contact with this girl lean over and whisper he was NOT really Bono but an impersonator?

No, he didn't. I guess he signed a few for someone's 11 year old daughter too - that little girl was so excited she was in tears. He knew EXACTLY what he was doing.

bradyvox said:
I am in a U2 tribute band and I cannot fathom dressing up like Bono offstage. In fact, if truth be told I actually hate dressing up like Bono period, as I feel alot more comfortable in my own skin. However, I love performing U2's music and I realize that to do a tribute justice, you need to dress the part.

I have alot of trouble understanding why people show up to U2 concerts or go in public dressed as Bono - on stage as part of a show is one thing, but in everyday life? Yikes!

Our band performed a private party last weekend and 4 people came up to the stage after our performance asking for an autograph (they were adults in their 40's).

They thought we were U2 and that I was Bono - they actually congratulated me on our Hall of Fane induction last year!lol This is hilarious in it's own right because for starters I am 15 years younger than Bono and about 40-50 pounds lighter!! lol..yeah, I know, I am a sad excuse for a "Bono" in a tribute band but we seem to do ok. :)

I was very clear to these people that we were not U2 and that we were a tribute band, handed them a card with our website and explained the whole "tribute" thing.

For whatever reason, some people do ask us from time to time for autographs and we are always VERY clear (even to kids - especially to kids!) that we are not U2 and we are a U2 tribute show.

I feel weird enough signing autographs as myself let alone as someone else!

As Tony eludes to, anyone who respects U2 and Bono, should know where to draw the line.

These people give the other U2 tributes a very bad rep.

There is a guy in Toronto named Matt who showed up to the U2 shows in Toronto in September dressed as Bono with ACTUAL body guards and tried to force his way through the crowd in GA to get near the ellipse, with his body guards yelling "make room for Bono".

Some people lost their coveted spot they waited in line all day for and others got crushed quite hard because some people thought this guy was Bono and they were trying to get closer to him.

Very sad...move to Vegas....

Maybe someone should send this thread to Pavel (sp?) so he can tell his side of the story, although from the first hand accounts, it sounds quite disturbing...

Cheers,
Brady

ps - lol at the liver function comment - maybe he ate too many tomatoes and carrots? That can actually change the pigment of your skin as well :)

:up:

Maybe someone should send this thread to Pavel (sp?) so he can tell his side of the story, although from the first hand accounts, it sounds quite disturbing..

yeah i'd be interested in hearing what he has to say for himself :tsk:

A :hug: for you friend, AL....

it's a really shitty thing to do playing someone's emotions like that :mad:

didn't see the roundness of his nose in the first pic..

:lol: :reject: I forget about the clef chin :giggle; I know it's a reallfeature for some gals {of course I draw it correctly}

oh yes that fake tan!!! I thot of the "too many carrots" issue!

Bono's upper lip is thinner.
And his upper left {i'm thinking the revrse looking thing trying NOT to get mixed up} uhhhh...left part of his mouth when he smiles...lifts up higher {a little crooked} than the right side !
:huh: hopes I got the L/R thing right :lmao:
{my mom would say....you can never tell your left from your right! I'm better at it, after all these decades! }

and for good I'll say it again........what an A##hole... If he "signed an autograph" as part of being in the "roleplay mode" where EVERY knew it wasn't Bono that's one thing.....but it sure seems that's NOT what he did! :madspit:

AtomicLemon said:

My friend is so embarassed, I think she was so excited to meet him and she wanted to so believe that it was him, that she thought it was. And now, of course she feels humiliated. I think the mind is a very tricky thing sometimes and it believes what you want it to... Poor girl. I think she was too excited to see straight.

Hey... tell her not to be so hard on herself. If any of my friends or family ran into this guy and he came off to them the way he did, they would think it's Bono also.

Seriously, just because I know nearly every detail of his face and that of the other members of U2 doesn't mean everyone else does.
Most of my family would have gotten the pic just for me because they know I'm such a huge U2 fan.

With that said, for him to grab a guitar and sing One and carry on as the Bono signing autographs etc, is just this side of fraud, not to mention reprehensible. I'd personally like to kick is arse. :mad:

I also find it hard to understand how they could think that he was Bono. The man sang and even though, they kept thinking he was Bono. I don’t believe he can impersonate Bono’s voice that well. Bono’s voice is unique.
I can’t keep imagining what Bono must be thinking when he gets somewhere and finds all those people impersonating him, and asking to take a picture with him. :huh: There must be times when he gets tired.
I wonder if they did cut their hair to keep looking like Bono. :nerd:

yea the singing made me wonder aswell... I wonder how the dude sounded... and he played guitar himself??
I've never seen Bono play Edge's parts of One, and his own parts are entirely different!

Although the first photo fooled me a little but then i noticed a little mole on his left cheek just below the shades then I noticed that those aren't the shades Bono's wearing now and the lips where all wrong, his face is too fat and the rosary was the wrong colour then when I saw the second photo I knew he was a fake. Bono would NEVER wear an earring like that!! :no:

What this person did is despicable and someone should tell him so! :mad:

Last edited:
Wow, this has turned out to be a really interesting thread with lots of ppl posting that don't usually post. Hello to them.

It's great to see all the different points of view and to know that there are entertainers out there who know not to cross the line when it comes to repecting the band and their fans. Very impressive. :bow: It's also nice to see that most of us don't like much the ppl who make others (especially if someone is feeling vulnerable at the time) feel stupid and embarressed.

If this guy really did mean to come off as Bono then shame on him! How low can a body sink, making a fool out of her like that!

Surely U2 must have ppl who look into this sort of thing and deal w/it? I hope so. We all need protection from predators like that!

Pavel Sfera has taken an undeserved beating throughout this discussion thread. He was a guest of me and my wife at the Anaheim NAMM Convention in 2006. At the time, I was the bass player in his now-disbanded U2 tribute band. We have since parted ways as bandmates and I wish him the very best. But so much of what has been said about him and last year’s NAMM incident is ridiculous and plain wrong. Just thought I’d share the facts of that day to those who believe his appearance or behavior there was dishonorable.

My wife and I were attending the show for business purposes to negotiate a price for a pair of custom ordered Ashdown Bass Cabinets that were being displayed. We also wanted to speak with Dan Lakin about Lakland basses, currently favored by Adam Clayton. We had a third NAMM pass and invited Pavel to join us for a day of gear-browsing. He needed a wireless microphone, in-ear monitors and came to get more information about the new technology. The NAMM convention is a gigantic candy store for musicians. We were also interested in playing or buying a Gretsch Irish Falcon guitar that was on display in the Fender Booth. Pavel played “One” as he test-drove the guitar. A few people snapped photographs and wanted to speak with him. He was courteous and empathetic to everyone. People might have assumed he was Bono, but to my knowledge, not one person asked him if he truly was. Throughout the day, he never said he was Bono...at least not in my presence.

Most of our time at NAMM was quiet. Late in the afternoon though, George Clinton, Dick Dale and Dave Mason all asked Pavel to join them in brief soundbite conversations and/or photographs. Those were fun, spontaneous moments for everyone. Realizing a frenzy was about to ensue, we started to leave the Hall/Auditorium but were detained by a continuous stream of convention attenders who wanted an autograph or their photographs taken with Pavel. It only took one person requesting a photo before setting off an avalanche of others crowding in. My wife and I stood at the edge of the mob of people and could hear folks speculating aloud as to whether he was the real “Bono” or not. Most concluded he wasn’t because of the tan, scuffed shoes, etc. Uncomfortable with the increasing attention, my wife even told many people he definitely wasn’t.really Bono. But like some members of this discussion thread have demonstrated, it’s fun and interesting to try to solve a mystery. People want to decide for themselves if the person who just walked past was Bono. In this case, it wasn’t. It was Pavel Sfera from Serbia/Yugoslavia with a terrific Irish accent.

Like the Golden Gate Bridge or the Grand Canyon, Pavel is a highly-photographed national landmark. It’s a novelty to have your picture taken with someone who so very closely resembles Bono. Pavel graciously allows that photograph or memory to happen wherever he is or goes. Even in a Hawaiian shirt and shorts, he’s stopped at a CVS pharmacy or a swap meet buying socks. And unless I’m mistaken, when asked for an autograph, Pavel usually writes “Jesus loves you – P”, or something to that effect. Pavel is a big-hearted, kind and funny guy. He shares his life, time and talents with us and really asks nothing of the people who still insist he’s a member of U2. Granted, he’s sometimes complisent (sp?) in the situation. I’ve often heard him specifically tell people he’s NOT Bono and “fans” refuse to believe him. When tribute bands perform music, they always ask you to suspend your disbelief and just enjoy the moment. Meeting Pavel Sfera on or off stage is a worthwile experience.

U2Scott said:

Like the Golden Gate Bridge or the Grand Canyon, Pavel is a highly-photographed national landmark. .

:tsk: A national landmark?? I think that's taking it a bit too far. He's just a guy who gets off on trying to look like Bono. If he tries to look like Bono, tries to act like him, dresses like him, sings his songs, tries to sound like him, then he is impersonating the man. Whether he states outright that he is or is not Bono is immaterial.

This whole thing is tacky and just...ick. :shame:

U2Scott said:
Throughout the day, he never said he was Bono...at least not in my presence.

It was Pavel Sfera from Serbia/Yugoslavia with a terrific Irish accent.

OK, 1) he may never have said, "I'm Bono", but he allowed people to think that he was, and he has done this at other events that I know of. 2) Why the "Irish accent" in a setting like this? He's not on stage in a tribute band, he's mingling with the public. So why put on the accent? That's hightly misleading, IMO.

partygirlvox said:
thats so not bono and haha he looks so much like my uncle its uncanny.
(i think thats a real shitty thing to do, actually going round pretending to be bono. and signing things..!? cmon!)

Bono copyrighted his stage name, so this guy is in violation of law if he's signing autographs as "Bono", besides being a poser.

Sheesh. I have no problem with someone playing at being Bono and telling people it's just for fun and he's not the real thing, but it's poor form to fool people.

I feel really sorry for the girl who took the photos and now finds out she got taken for a ride. I'd be really frosted.

I bet Bono would be ticked, too (and I bet there's someone who'll tell him). That jerk could be doing jerky things to taint Bono's good name.

That poser's a thief. A few PLEBAns shouting accusations at him in public could probably shame him into better behavior.

<Excuse me, sir. I need to see if you're Bono or some git posing as Bono. Lemme see your freckles and the three marks on the iris of your right eye. Let's see your jewelry, your platform shoes, the shape of your ears. Hold out your hands. Open your mouth so I can look at your teeth...> <sniffs for cologne and checks for chin scar>

<Calls PLEBAn police>

Last edited:
biff said:

2) Why the "Irish accent" in a setting like this? He's not on stage in a tribute band, he's mingling with the public. So why put on the accent? That's hightly misleading, IMO.

:up:

Not to mention signing autographs :rolleyes:

After reading this thread-I just got the image in my mind of many Bono impersonators duking it out in a big room.

But seriously---I really enjoy seeing Elevation(USA) from Chicago and think Dan is a great 'Bono'. I got my picture taken with him and its my desk-top pic---everyone is like holy crap---you got your picture taken with Bono---and I'm like no. But still it makes me *happy*. I'm I delusional???

Please don't anwser that........

*partygirl43 runs and hides*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom