is it true that...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elisa519_U2adik

The Fly
Larry bought the house next to his just because he doesnt want a lot of people near his house for privacy?

i think i read it here. or dunno where. juz wanna confirm if its true..

???

Not sure about Larry, but Bono did buy the house(s) next to his in order to ensure privacy and particularly security.

Larry did buy the house next to his though. An article said he tripled the asking price for it as well, so he really wanted it. (Of coarse, that's only if the article was accurate, which I kinda doubt - he can't be THAT dumb, can he?)

So, if the B bought the house next to his an' there's nobody in it, I'm thinking that he'd be needin' someone to look after it? Y'know, someone who'd kinda live in - make sure everything was ok and that nobody was spying on him through the garden fence with a pair of binoculars, especially when he's lazin around the pool...:evil: :evil:

Well, y'know I might just know someone who could help him out there...:evil: ....

..excuse me, but I thought of it first - you'll hafta form a queue...:evil: :evil:

I remember the news story from 2001, it was Larry. Edge lives next door to Bono and Enya on the other side. Bono is the friendly type, Larry is not and wants to be alone.

Meghan said:
Larry did buy the house next to his though. An article said he tripled the asking price for it as well, so he really wanted it. (Of coarse, that's only if the article was accurate, which I kinda doubt - he can't be THAT dumb, can he?)

Now this is 2 stories mixed up, as often happens as they are retold over the years (it's not your fault or anyone's, it happens) The story is LARRY bought the house next door to avoid having neighbors. This is very much in character for him. Bono lives next door to Edge and Enya. Larry lives in Dublin but not in the same immediate neighborhood as Bono and Edge.

Now about the running up the price story- this was Bono. He said he wanted the house and had someone negotiating for him, then somehow, I forget, (I think sent by McGuiness?) a second lawyer working for Bono came in to bid pretending to be a different person to help in the bargaining. But it backfired and the price doubled because of all the negotiating when it was really Bono vs. Bono! So the lawyers hurt instead of helped! That's the story. I'd love to find the old articles but it's been so long it's going to be hard. I'll look.

Last edited:
The Showbiz Ireland article indicates that Larry bought the house next to his, but that does not negate the fact that Bono did the same thing. He bought several properties surrounding his home to provide more privacy and greater security for his family. (And yes, the story goes that in one such transaction, he was unknowingly bidding against himself.)
Edge and Enya don't live "next door" to Bono. Edge lives nearby, but not anywhere near next door. Enya has a "castle" that is also nearby. If you look at pictures of Bono's house, in some of them you will see a very large pale building much higher up the hill behind his house. That's Enya's place.
The confusion about living "next door" must stem from the fact that Edge and Bono co-own side-by-side summer places in the south of France. :nerd:

I've nver seen a pic of Bono's house.. only the door... the ones at atu2.com... :(
also Bono tried to get permission to build a 3rd floor on his house.. but wasn't allowed...

biff said:
The Showbiz Ireland article indicates that Larry bought the house next to his, but that does not negate the fact that Bono did the same thing. He bought several properties surrounding his home to provide more privacy and greater security for his family. (And yes, the story goes that in one such transaction, he was unknowingly bidding against himself.)
Edge and Enya don't live "next door" to Bono. Edge lives nearby, but not anywhere near next door. Enya has a "castle" that is also nearby. If you look at pictures of Bono's house, in some of them you will see a very large pale building much higher up the hill behind his house. That's Enya's place.
The confusion about living "next door" must stem from the fact that Edge and Bono co-own side-by-side summer places in the south of France. :nerd:

you're right :

edge doesn't live next to bono; i've visited the neighbourhood last summer; we had a picture of edge's estate in some 'u2 guide to dublin' but i can tell you it wasn't that close to bono's

and for larry's houses, that's true, he owns 2 houses next to each other on the beach in the north of dublin

youvedonewhat said:
So, if the B bought the house next to his an' there's nobody in it, I'm thinking that he'd be needin' someone to look after it? Y'know, someone who'd kinda live in - make sure everything was ok and that nobody was spying on him through the garden fence with a pair of binoculars, especially when he's lazin around the pool...:evil: :evil:

Well, y'know I might just know someone who could help him out there...:evil: ....

..excuse me, but I thought of it first - you'll hafta form a queue...:evil: :evil:

*join the queue* :evil:

biff said:
The Showbiz Ireland article indicates that Larry bought the house next to his, but that does not negate the fact that Bono did the same thing.

But there is nothing to say he did, either. It was Larry, and it got mixed up and pinned on Bono over time.

I knew about that summer house too, they share the same one, but I heard they were neighbors in Dublin before that. Their kids visit back and forth and I've heard people who went to Dublin mention them living next door, they are least nearby. I haven't been there so I don't know but I have always heard Bono and Edge were very close neighbors. I've never heard anything about Bono buying an extra house in his own neighborhood, just Larry.

U2Kitten said:

Now about the running up the price story- this was Bono. He said he wanted the house and had someone negotiating for him, then somehow, I forget, (I think sent by McGuiness?) a second lawyer working for Bono came in to bid pretending to be a different person to help in the bargaining. But it backfired and the price doubled because of all the negotiating when it was really Bono vs. Bono! So the lawyers hurt instead of helped! That's the story. I'd love to find the old articles but it's been so long it's going to be hard. I'll look.

you can find it in the Bill Flanagan book : U2 At the end of the world

Okay, thanks. I read so much stuff I don't remember where I saw it (which gets me into a lot of trouble on the history board I'm on where people always ask for direct quotes from books)

is larry anti-social or what? reluctant to appear in videos, doesn't want neighbors, doesn't like meeting fans to often, doesn't usually come out from behind his kit.... c'mon larry, you're a world famous rockstar/musician and fame and adulation come as a package deal!! :madwife:

oh well, he does deliver the goods pretty damn well. and we'll still love him no matter what... sorry larry :hug:

:larry: git 'way frem me!

I remember when Bono bought the property next to his house to keep out the neighbors. Gosh, it's so hard for these guys to have any privacy. I wouldn't want to be a celebrity, I don't care how rich I'd be.

Babydoll said:
is larry anti-social or what? reluctant to appear in videos, doesn't want neighbors, doesn't like meeting fans to often, doesn't usually come out from behind his kit.... c'mon larry, you're a world famous rockstar/musician and fame and adulation come as a package deal!! :madwife:

oh well, he does deliver the goods pretty damn well. and we'll still love him no matter what... sorry larry :hug:

:larry: git 'way frem me!

I think Larry likes playing in a rock 'n roll band but the public aspects of rock stardom are something he can do without.

^^No, none of that means he is anti-social, nor un-friendly. He is just a very private, and shy person. He's a member of the biggest band in the world, and has been for nearly 30 years, and yet he has steadfastly maintained his private zone. He doesn't try to have it both ways, he just lives his life and keeps it all to himself. The point is, no one here knows a thing about him, personally--and that's just how he wants it, too!

Hey, none of us even knew if his third child was a boy or a girl-- for like four or five years!! Frankly, I tip my hat to him...

:wink:

Not everything Larry does makes him unfriendly or antisocial! :rolleyes: Heck, when I met him he actually shook my hand and smiled BIG :D

Anyway, there are many reasons for people to buy houses. It's possible that Larry bought the neighboring house to increase the value of his own property, or he had something in mind for that piece of real estate. Or maybe he just liked the property? My rich uncle was going to buy lots surrounding his because he prefered a view of the woods and not a view of other houses. He's still a perfectly nice and sociable man. There's nothing antisocial about wanting to look at deer and birds instead of a building.

Back
Top Bottom