is it true that... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > PLEBA > PLEBA Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2006, 11:05 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 03:59 PM
is it true that...

Larry bought the house next to his just because he doesnt want a lot of people near his house for privacy?

i think i read it here. or dunno where. juz wanna confirm if its true..

???

Old 02-17-2006, 11:44 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:59 AM
Not sure about Larry, but Bono did buy the house(s) next to his in order to ensure privacy and particularly security.

Old 02-17-2006, 11:50 PM   #3
The Fly

Local Time: 03:59 PM
oh, so it was bono... i see...
Old 02-18-2006, 12:26 AM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 07:59 AM
was the house that bono bought Jim Kerrs old place after he left? they used to be next door neighbors...
Old 02-18-2006, 12:51 AM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 05:59 PM
Larry did buy the house next to his though. An article said he tripled the asking price for it as well, so he really wanted it. (Of coarse, that's only if the article was accurate, which I kinda doubt - he can't be THAT dumb, can he?)
Old 02-18-2006, 08:12 AM   #6
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:59 AM
wasn't it because he was annoyed by his neighbours or something..?
Old 02-18-2006, 09:23 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:59 AM
So, if the B bought the house next to his an' there's nobody in it, I'm thinking that he'd be needin' someone to look after it? Y'know, someone who'd kinda live in - make sure everything was ok and that nobody was spying on him through the garden fence with a pair of binoculars, especially when he's lazin around the pool...

Well, y'know I might just know someone who could help him out there... ....

..excuse me, but I thought of it first - you'll hafta form a queue...
Old 02-18-2006, 09:35 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

I remember the news story from 2001, it was Larry. Edge lives next door to Bono and Enya on the other side. Bono is the friendly type, Larry is not and wants to be alone.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:39 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Meghan
Larry did buy the house next to his though. An article said he tripled the asking price for it as well, so he really wanted it. (Of coarse, that's only if the article was accurate, which I kinda doubt - he can't be THAT dumb, can he?)
Now this is 2 stories mixed up, as often happens as they are retold over the years (it's not your fault or anyone's, it happens) The story is LARRY bought the house next door to avoid having neighbors. This is very much in character for him. Bono lives next door to Edge and Enya. Larry lives in Dublin but not in the same immediate neighborhood as Bono and Edge.

Now about the running up the price story- this was Bono. He said he wanted the house and had someone negotiating for him, then somehow, I forget, (I think sent by McGuiness?) a second lawyer working for Bono came in to bid pretending to be a different person to help in the bargaining. But it backfired and the price doubled because of all the negotiating when it was really Bono vs. Bono! So the lawyers hurt instead of helped! That's the story. I'd love to find the old articles but it's been so long it's going to be hard. I'll look.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:03 AM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:59 AM
That is what I thought. Damm, I want to be Larry's neighbor. Just kidding.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:55 AM   #11
War Child

We can only speculate on the real reasons until we hear it straight from their mouths...but according to showbiz ireland.... see below

http://www.showbizireland.com/news/o...mullen01.shtml
Old 02-18-2006, 01:43 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The Showbiz Ireland article indicates that Larry bought the house next to his, but that does not negate the fact that Bono did the same thing. He bought several properties surrounding his home to provide more privacy and greater security for his family. (And yes, the story goes that in one such transaction, he was unknowingly bidding against himself.)
Edge and Enya don't live "next door" to Bono. Edge lives nearby, but not anywhere near next door. Enya has a "castle" that is also nearby. If you look at pictures of Bono's house, in some of them you will see a very large pale building much higher up the hill behind his house. That's Enya's place.
The confusion about living "next door" must stem from the fact that Edge and Bono co-own side-by-side summer places in the south of France.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:46 PM   #13
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 09:59 AM
I've nver seen a pic of Bono's house.. only the door... the ones at atu2.com...
also Bono tried to get permission to build a 3rd floor on his house.. but wasn't allowed...
Old 02-18-2006, 02:01 PM   #14
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by biff
The Showbiz Ireland article indicates that Larry bought the house next to his, but that does not negate the fact that Bono did the same thing. He bought several properties surrounding his home to provide more privacy and greater security for his family. (And yes, the story goes that in one such transaction, he was unknowingly bidding against himself.)
Edge and Enya don't live "next door" to Bono. Edge lives nearby, but not anywhere near next door. Enya has a "castle" that is also nearby. If you look at pictures of Bono's house, in some of them you will see a very large pale building much higher up the hill behind his house. That's Enya's place.
The confusion about living "next door" must stem from the fact that Edge and Bono co-own side-by-side summer places in the south of France.
you're right :

edge doesn't live next to bono; i've visited the neighbourhood last summer; we had a picture of edge's estate in some 'u2 guide to dublin' but i can tell you it wasn't that close to bono's

and for larry's houses, that's true, he owns 2 houses next to each other on the beach in the north of dublin
Old 02-18-2006, 07:32 PM   #15
Refugee

Location: Celebrating the end of things with cheap champagne!
Local Time: 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by youvedonewhat
So, if the B bought the house next to his an' there's nobody in it, I'm thinking that he'd be needin' someone to look after it? Y'know, someone who'd kinda live in - make sure everything was ok and that nobody was spying on him through the garden fence with a pair of binoculars, especially when he's lazin around the pool...

Well, y'know I might just know someone who could help him out there... ....

..excuse me, but I thought of it first - you'll hafta form a queue...

*join the queue*
Old 02-19-2006, 01:01 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
I remember the news story from 2001, it was Larry. Edge lives next door to Bono and Enya on the other side. Bono is the friendly type, Larry is not and wants to be alone.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:12 AM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 05:59 PM
i just want to be his live-in nanny?????

Old 02-19-2006, 10:54 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by biff
The Showbiz Ireland article indicates that Larry bought the house next to his, but that does not negate the fact that Bono did the same thing.
But there is nothing to say he did, either. It was Larry, and it got mixed up and pinned on Bono over time.

Quote:
I knew about that summer house too, they share the same one, but I heard they were neighbors in Dublin before that. Their kids visit back and forth and I've heard people who went to Dublin mention them living next door, they are least nearby. I haven't been there so I don't know but I have always heard Bono and Edge were very close neighbors. I've never heard anything about Bono buying an extra house in his own neighborhood, just Larry.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:00 AM   #19
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

Now about the running up the price story- this was Bono. He said he wanted the house and had someone negotiating for him, then somehow, I forget, (I think sent by McGuiness?) a second lawyer working for Bono came in to bid pretending to be a different person to help in the bargaining. But it backfired and the price doubled because of all the negotiating when it was really Bono vs. Bono! So the lawyers hurt instead of helped! That's the story. I'd love to find the old articles but it's been so long it's going to be hard. I'll look.
you can find it in the Bill Flanagan book : U2 At the end of the world
Old 02-19-2006, 11:10 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Okay, thanks. I read so much stuff I don't remember where I saw it (which gets me into a lot of trouble on the history board I'm on where people always ask for direct quotes from books)