Bono to Speak In Washington..........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

one4u2

ONE love, blood, life
From @u2:

Bono will be joining Dr. Phil McGraw, Larry King and celebrity Chefs Bobby Flay and Rachel Ray as a speaker in the Center for Associated Leadership's Distinguished Speaker Series. Bono is appearing on February 3rd at the Washington Hilton Towers, and will be presenting a speech titled The Future in Front of Us: Living a More Involved Life. Tickets are available to the general public; however, you must purchase the entire series in order to get tickets to Bono's presentation. Click the link below for more information.

view the series brochure >>

http://www.centeronline.org/files/OpenSeriesFiles/06SpeakersSeries.pdf

(This is the original link and doesn't seem to be working)

You need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the link.

bonothing8pr.jpg

He's going to WHAT??? This sounds like one of those adult school night class seminars. Sorry, but I think our absolutely favorite garden gnome is going a bit off the deep end here.

FEELINNUMB said:
He's going to WHAT??? This sounds like one of those adult school night class seminars. Sorry, but I think our absolutely favorite garden gnome is going a bit off the deep end here.

:eyebrow:

where have you been he does this all the time! I'm seeing him wednesday in NYC!

one4u2 said:

:eyebrow:

where have you been he does this all the time! I'm seeing him wednesday in NYC!

Speaking about the AIDS pandemic, debt relief, fair trade and rallying support, yes. Self-help speeches on how to live a purposeful life, no. Check the topics before you ask people where they've been.

FEELINNUMB said:

Speaking about the AIDS pandemic, debt relief, fair trade and rallying support, yes. Self-help speeches on how to live a purposeful life, no. Check the topics before you ask people where they've been.

And what do you think is his meaning behind living a purposeful life :eyebrow:

one4u2 said:

And what do you think is his meaning behind living a purposeful life :eyebrow:

I agree. All of the people speaking have so called "self help" like speech titles, but I think that's just the Kennedy Center trying to give this speaker series a "theme."

I don't think any of them will really be self help speeches, well expcept for Dr. Phil :shifty:

FEELINNUMB said:

I don't think it's going to be a "self help" speech; Bono doesn't give those. He'll talk about how to help with debt relief and the AIDS pandemic in Africa. That's the theme of all of his speeches and it's how he makes his own life very meaningful.

Last edited:
kellyahern said:

I agree. All of the people speaking have so called "self help" like speech titles, but I think that's just the Kennedy Center trying to give this speaker series a "theme."

I don't think any of them will really be self help speeches, well expcept for Dr. Phil :shifty:

:up:

verte76 said:

I don't think it's going to be a "self help" speech; Bono doesn't give those. He'll talk about how to help with debt relief and the AIDS pandemic in Africa. That's the theme of all of his speeches and it's how he makes his own life very meaningful.

:up:

:happy:

$6500 for Presidential rate.....yeah fucking right! It cost me less than that (try half) to actually spend an entire month IN Africa. And I like the little disclaimer "* Seating for Bono on February 3, 2006 at the Washington Hilton will be provided in as preferential order as possible". So $6500 isn't even guaranteed to get you the best spot!

Last edited:
If I had $6,500, all my financial woes would be over. But I don't.

How far I am in the hole:

$1,019,40 - one month behind in mortgage

$947.00 - 3 months behind on major credit card with 30% interest

$1,200 -needed repair for dying automobile

$1,799 - in other deliquent bills

and that's not all, folks.....:scream:

How anyone could have, and be able to spare, that kind of money is unfathomable to me.

If you look at the subscription info, you can't purchase single tickets - you have to buy the entire subscription for all the various speeches that will be given.:huh:

Knowing that this would probably be out of most of our price ranges here, I didn't even bother to post it the other day when it came out.

But it never hurts to know where in the world Bono will be. :wink:

Have a great time on Weds night, everyone, and please try to remember to pick up an extra brochure por moi.

Muchas gracias.:yes:

Actually, you can get balcony tickets for $295 for the entire package. This would be reasonable if I cared to see any of the others, which I don't.

We need another Heart of America tour b/c that was free!

U2Kitten said:
If I had $6,500, all my financial woes would be over. But I don't.

Yeah...no kidding....oh wait, $6500 doesn't even scratch the surface of my debt. :huh:

Bono needs to speak for us poor indebted college students! Required: must owe at least $50,000 to get in the door. :D

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Yeah...no kidding....oh wait, $6500 doesn't even scratch the surface of my debt. :huh:

Bono needs to speak for us poor indebted college students! Required: must owe at least $50,000 to get in the door. :D

Sometimes I think most rich people, even Bono, are completely out of touch with how the average person has to live. Like when he said the Edun jeans were 'mid priced' and the cheapest pair was $150 :huh: Ha, I consider a $20 pair of pants extravagance. :sigh:

RocknRollKitty said:

Sometimes I think most rich people, even Bono, are completely out of touch with how the average person has to live. Like when he said the Edun jeans were 'mid priced' and the cheapest pair was $150 :huh: Ha, I consider a $20 pair of pants extravagance. :sigh:

Come now, if the topic, for some reason, does not convince you, then how about the context and the price tag? Who the hell is going to pay that kind of money to listen to a harangue about the AIDS pandemic? Yes, one of us, you say. Well, we just proved that very few, if any of us, have between $295 and $6500 for a lecture series. That's because THEY DON'T WANT US THERE. He's part of a program with DR. PHIL, RACHEL RAY and BOBBY FLAY, who has the IQ of a handball. What is he going to lecture on, The Flank Steak -- A Cut For The 21st Century? Bon isn't part of a series with his peers, he's on a celebrity roster, and that gives me gas. I just finished the In Conversation book and there was stuff in there that made me very concerned, and now this thing is just another log on the fire.

And I agree with RocknRollKitty, the Edun thing has left me ice cold. If this stuff were being sold at K-Mart, or even Macy's, then you'd really have something, to be able to sell fairly-made, good-quality clothing, without sweatshops and ripoffs and slave trade, and sell it at a price people can afford. The Edun stuff is overpriced and is cut for women without hips and breasts. Launching it at Saks, what message was that sending? I'm dying to see how much of this stuff ends up in the Saks outlet at Christmas. And those models with them in Vogue? The look like the people he's trying to save in the Sudan! If you want to come up with a truly innovative clothing line like this, you make the stuff affordable to all and not just to an elite, you make it practical so that it has an appeal beyond rich lady guilt and a celebrity flavor of the month, and you don't produce it along the lines of the phony Madison Avenue concept of how women are built or how they should look, i.e., half-starved supermodels. So far, all they've really proven is that Bono can get press attention, and I think we knew that already.;

Yes, I'm ranting, yes, I know you're annoyed, but I am really concerned about Bono, I think his success in working for Africa has led him to lose perspective, I think it's more enthusiasm than ego, but still, he says in the book that the U2 sites are murder, that the fans won't let him get away with things, so Bono, PAY ATTENTION!!! You can't depend on the band to always pull you back, these guys have lives, too!

FEELINNUMB said:
And I agree with RocknRollKitty, the Edun thing has left me ice cold. If this stuff were being sold at K-Mart, or even Macy's, then you'd really have something, to be able to sell fairly-made, good-quality clothing, without sweatshops and ripoffs and slave trade, and sell it at a price people can afford. The Edun stuff is overpriced and is cut for women without hips and breasts. Launching it at Saks, what message was that sending?

I see what you're saying, but you've missed the point of EDUN. They're not a charity, they're a business model for mid- to -upper priced/quality fashion. EDUN is supposed to make money, not give clothes away. I'm not sure where people are getting the impression that EDUN was intended for normal people at a cheap price, because that's not the case. What's wrong w/ Saks? It's a popular, upscale place and the launches got a lot of media attention. Since then I've seen pics of the clothes and little blurbs in a lot of the more mainstream publications like Vogue, Cosmo, etc.

Honey, you misunderstand me, I'm not talking about charity AT ALL, I am talking about a business model. See, the rap is that these clothing companies can't make clothing that the average American consumer can afford without going abroad, because they "can't" pay union wages to American workers. We'll leave that bit of fiction aside, and move on: so they go to other nations where people are paid a pittance, or slave labor is used, piece work, child labor, you name the moral crime, they got it. This is supposed to be all in aid of making the clothing affordable to all of us; they leave out the part that it is also in aid of creating highly-inflated salaries for upper-level execs, corporate waste and big profits in general, which are fine, if they don't come on the backs of people living in mud shacks. So if you want to burst this bubble, you come up with a company like Edun that makes these jeans, T-shirts, sneaks, whatever, that are made well and properly -- you use fair labor practices, and you market this stuff successfully, thereby showing that it can be done if you are a company with a conscience that is interested in making a living, and not a killing. That's not what Edun is, I'm sorry. I can get together a group of lovely talented ladies in France or Belgium to crochet garments for me; I can pay them well, and sell them at Saks or NM or Nordstrom's at a pretty penny, and folks will buy them. But what does that prove on that level, what a nice bwana lady I am? Saks sells stuff with a built-in prestige mark up -- that has no place in a fair labor line. I just got an Oscar de la Renta robe at the Saks Outlet for $52 -- in the store, it cost $225. How could anyone afford to do that if the price were based on anything but ether? No one really cares if Dior can make gowns in a fair labor situation, because how many people wear Dior gowns? But let's talk Levis, Nike and Fruit of the Loom -- if you want to kill the sweat shops, you have to show it can be done on the mass market level. May make it a little harder for you to feel credible around Naomi, Kate and Christy, but then, that's not what it's about, is it?

Now before you all disembowel me, remember, I was the one who was sardonically written off as being a deluded U2 fan who thought Bono could do no wrong because I wanted Lola Cashman sent to a vivisectionist!
:yes:

FEELINNUMB said:
Honey, you misunderstand me, I'm not talking about charity AT ALL, I am talking about a business model. See, the rap is that these clothing companies can't make clothing that the average American consumer can afford without going abroad, because they "can't" pay union wages to American workers. We'll leave that bit of fiction aside, and move on: so they go to other nations where people are paid a pittance, or slave labor is used, piece work, child labor, you name the moral crime, they got it. This is supposed to be all in aid of making the clothing affordable to all of us; they leave out the part that it is also in aid of creating highly-inflated salaries for upper-level execs, corporate waste and big profits in general, which are fine, if they don't come on the backs of people living in mud shacks. So if you want to burst this bubble, you come up with a company like Edun that makes these jeans, T-shirts, sneaks, whatever, that are made well and properly -- you use fair labor practices, and you market this stuff successfully, thereby showing that it can be done if you are a company with a conscience that is interested in making a living, and not a killing. That's not what Edun is, I'm sorry. I can get together a group of lovely talented ladies in France or Belgium to crochet garments for me; I can pay them well, and sell them at Saks or NM or Nordstrom's at a pretty penny, and folks will buy them. But what does that prove on that level, what a nice bwana lady I am? Saks sells stuff with a built-in prestige mark up -- that has no place in a fair labor line. I just got an Oscar de la Renta robe at the Saks Outlet for $52 -- in the store, it cost $225. How could anyone afford to do that if the price were based on anything but ether? No one really cares if Dior can make gowns in a fair labor situation, because how many people wear Dior gowns? But let's talk Levis, Nike and Fruit of the Loom -- if you want to kill the sweat shops, you have to show it can be done on the mass market level. May make it a little harder for you to feel credible around Naomi, Kate and Christy, but then, that's not what it's about, is it?

Edun is an extremely new brand, just at this point beginning to establish a name in the fashion business. I think you're really jumping the gun here in your reaction. I think (in fact, I will predict) that in the next few years, if they have any degree of success, you will see them expand the line for sales at lower end outlets. It could be something like Donna Karan, for example, which you can see on skinny models on the catwalk, and purchase in normal sizes at regular prices at Sears. That kind of range does not happen overnight, nor does that kind of name recognition. Give it time.
I also don't think you can compare Dior and Oscar de la Renta to Edun. Compared to those lines, Edun truly is mid-priced.

beli said:
Well, I guess U2 are touring Australia in February then. :mad:

Yeah, I wondered if this meant doom for Australia, but Axver seems to believe that the next leg won't start until March.
:shrug:

$6500 for Presidential rate.....yeah fucking right! It cost me less than that (try half) to actually spend an entire month IN Africa. And I like the little disclaimer "* Seating for Bono on February 3, 2006 at the Washington Hilton will be provided in as preferential order as possible". So $6500 isn't even guaranteed to get you the best spot!

For $6,500.00 dollars you could feed 50 people in Africa for a whole year. I know what I´m talking about. I was born in Africa and having that kinda of money is like, well, like being the wealthiest man in the village in some parts of Africa.
Six thousand and five hundred dollars is alot, for alot of people that really don´t have anything. Think about it.

I surely would not be interested in a seminar for the "rich and famous" to blabbler around for a few hours on how you can make a difference in the world. Or how you can make a difference by spending some large amount of money to see them say things that WE ALL already know. It´s nothing of a surprise.
So I would suggest everyone and that includes the "guest speakers" at the seminar to invest their money where their mouth is. By that I mean, really help those who really need it.

BTW... EDUN clothes is just that. It means "N-U-D-E" is reverse, which is what you will be feeling like after spending so much money on their clothes and have no money left over in your pockets. Sorry goes out to Ali and Co.(Bono´s wife) , but I just had to speak my mind on this one.
What the world really needs is affordable clothing for those who really need it. If your going to sell them at a higher price then you might as well just open up a store on Rodeo Drive in Berverly Hills or Fifth Avenue, N.Y.City, and sell them to the filthy rich, who really don´t have a problem burning money.

Right now the world is in a major crisis with ALOT of people being laid-off from work , and everyone is tightning-up their belt buckles on spending because of high unemployment. I too am feeling this pressure. So I really, really, could not be interested in hearing or seeing someone talk about world poverty problems while spending $ 6,500 dollars on seminars.

IF ANYONE wants to REALLY make a difference, then join the PEACE CORPS and go help out the less fortunate in Africa. They do need volunteers who care.

Max_theHitman said:

What the world really needs is affordable clothing for those who really need it. If your going to sell them at a higher price then you might as well just open up a store on Rodeo Drive in Berverly Hills or Fifth Avenue, N.Y.City, and sell them to the filthy rich, who really don´t have a problem burning money.

Like I said, this is EXACTLY what EDUN was intended for. Their business is not intended for people who buy their clothes a K-Mart or Target. It's supposed to be pricey and fashionable. I don't understand why people feel Bono and Ali owe it to us to do us favors and design clothes for our price range. Where is this attitude coming from? I read a LOT of articles, etc on EDUN when I started alihewson.com and I never got the impression that she intended the clothing line to be mainstream. I can't afford it either, but I'm not part of their target market segment and neither are most people on Interference. Their point is that for those who do spend hundreds of dollars on single pieces of clothing, they might as well be buying something that was made "fair trade" and with quality organic materials.

Like I said, this is EXACTLY what EDUN was intended for. Their business is not intended for people who buy their clothes a K-Mart or Target. It's supposed to be pricey and fashionable. I don't understand why people feel Bono and Ali owe it to us to do us favors and design clothes for our price range. Where is this attitude coming from? I read a LOT of articles, etc on EDUN when I started alihewson.com and I never got the impression that she intended the clothing line to be mainstream. I can't afford it either, but I'm not part of their target market segment and neither are most people on Interference. Their point is that for those who do spend hundreds of dollars on single pieces of clothing, they might as well be buying something that was made "fair trade" and with quality organic materials.

Quite right.
I agree with you too :up:

At least EDUN says they are helping the Third World market by using their materials and paying a fair price for their workmanship.

Back
Top Bottom