All choked up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Girl1978

Blue Crack Addict
I got this from a lil blurb in Star magazine and I really don't know how true it is but I thought it was interesting....

Bono's all choked up.

U2 front man Bono was eating fish and chips at Ivars, a restaurant in Seattle, when a burly man clapped him on the back and bellowed, "I’m a big fan of yours!” Bono started choking as friends looked on in horror, Then the fan slapped Bono on the back again, sending a piece of undigested fish flying onto the next table. With eyes watering, Bono gasped, “Mate, you better leave before I throttle you!”

:eyebrow:

Hell I'd like to throttle the guy.
Kind of a cheap shot.:eyebrow: Just don't walk up behind anyone and slap them on the back.. Unless you know them :|
If this is true of course.. This being the Sun and all. :hmm:

I'd find it very difficult to walk up to a celebrity while they're eating and interupt them, for starters. That's just plain tacky. If this is true he now has two things to be embarrassed about; interupting Bono's meal and making him choke. :eek:

Maybe he was that desperate to meet Bono and didn't think he'd get the chance ever again.
Still, it is a little rude, he should have tried to catch him when he was finished eating outside the restaurant or something.

And who goes and slaps a stranger on the back so hard it makes them choke anyway? It's bad enough if its someone you do know.

Dismantled said:
I'll provide the cpr:drool:

A good friend of mine, when she was studying nursing, used to scream this all the time whenever a nice attractive young man would wander by, and I'm sure she said it when we saw Bono in 1989 slip off the stage! :wink:

corianderstem said:
Bono was eating at Ivar's? How low-brow! :wink:

:lol:
Bill Gates was the one who took him there (that was in the P-I and on the wire) - but it was Acres of Clams, which is a step up from the cafe-style Ivar's, but still, Bill, come on man!

Regardles... :eyebrow: "mate"? and he would've been with Bill Gates, so I'm guessing somewhere private and thus inaccessible. Sounds fishy to me. No pun intended. Ok, pun intended :wink: !

Last edited:
U2Girl1978 said:
U2 front man Bono was eating fish and chips at Ivars, a restaurant in Seattle, when a burly man clapped him on the back and bellowed, "I’m a big fan of yours!” Bono started choking as friends looked on in horror, Then the fan slapped Bono on the back again, sending a piece of undigested fish flying onto the next table. With eyes watering, Bono gasped, “Mate, you better leave before I throttle you!”

IF it's true, I can't really blame Bono for being upset. I mean, how would any of us feel if some schmuck came up to us and smacked us on the back hard enough to make us choke on our food? :eyebrow:

But it is The Star, so... :shrug:

blueeyedgirl said:
Kinda like Slane "All I want is fuckin' you, man!" at teh guy who threw the water over him

Hehehe, it made me remember that moment too, hahaha.

Honestly, I don't know what to say... i dunno if it is true or not.. the fish flew to the other table?? :eyebrow: i think THAT is quite an exaggeration, although it misght happen.. and i think that to cause that reaction the guy might just have PUNCHED Bono, not slapped!! Really weird!! Hahaha, anyway, I think that he is human, so it is alright if he got angry but, although I think (and hope) the guy didn't do it on purpose... do you think he knows the meaning of the word "education"?? :wink: hihih. I'm not saying this just because it is Bono, I mean, that would bug ME for sure if they made it to me!! :D

At the Philly show, Bono was doing his bit where he was throwing water from his bottle on the crowd during Electric Co.....next thing I see is a huge splash of water coming out of the ellipse, right in Bono's face. Some a-hole threw water back at him! :tsk:

I mean, it's one thing to have Bono do it to us--it's like a Gallagher show, there is implied consent that you'll get stuff on you. But to do it TO the person on the stage...no.

As soon as I saw that I thought "Slane. Bono's gonna be pissed". Sure enough he kept singing....except with an added line: "Water's a bitch" (with the attitude seeming to mean 'you freakin babies can't take getting a little wet') with him glaring right at whoever musta done it. :up: Good for him.

starsgoblue said:
At the Philly show, Bono was doing his bit where he was throwing water from his bottle on the crowd during Electric Co.....next thing I see is a huge splash of water coming out of the ellipse, right in Bono's face. Some a-hole threw water back at him! :tsk:

I mean, it's one thing to have Bono do it to us--it's like a Gallagher show, there is implied consent that you'll get stuff on you. But to do it TO the person on the stage...no.

As soon as I saw that I thought "Slane. Bono's gonna be pissed". Sure enough he kept singing....except with an added line: "Water's a bitch" (with the attitude seeming to mean 'you freakin babies can't take getting a little wet') with him glaring right at whoever musta done it. :up: Good for him.

Are you sure he was angry? It wasn't just a good humoured crack at this guy?

It seems a little harsh to get so mad a someone who just decided if they had to be wet, so did Bono. What happened to 'treat others as you would like to be treated'?

If you're gonna get that pissed off if you get squirted back, don't squirt people in the first place.

I doubt Bono thought his night was ruined because of it. But seriously, like I said, it's one thing for him to do it by splashing water over a crowd of people. But to throw water right into his face....eh, I think that's kinda different...I wouldn't. :shrug:

I'm sure the "water's a bitch" part had some tongue in cheek...but I really can't speak for him and his thoughts anyways...

I just read my post back to myself.
I sounded a little angrier than the topic deserved. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be. :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom