Ali Thread #10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I only found one bigger
photo05.jpg

So far we thought it was only the boys who joined them on holidays, but I think I see Eve and Jordan as well, so it was a full family affair after all :)

So far we thought it was only the boys who joined them on holidays, but I think I see Eve and Jordan as well, so it was a full family affair after all :)

I think it's wonderful to see they spend so much family time globe trotting and vacationing together. Despite the media following them wherever they go it looks like they are usually enjoying themselves and are included with other families or a group. I remember as a child spending several vacations with other families and those were the best vacation memories I have. The Hewson kids are all very lucky to have traveled and seen the world like they have. :up:

:lol:

I love how she says Bono is not allowed anywhere near the clothes and that he needs to be punished for having a mullet in the 80s.

what is a mullet in this contest.....?
:hmm:
Sorry I don't get it and I'm sorry 'cause it should be funny

looks more like Morleigh, Hollie and Arran to me...at least that's Morleigh behind Bono which would make sense since that's Levi in the photo.

Fashion Night Cannes with EDUN

Date: 17.05.09

Location: Villa Oxygene, 137 Avenue Des Cactus, 06220 Vallauris

Time: 07:30 pm

Info:

We would like to invite you to the exclusive “Fashion Night Cannes” at the stunning Villa Oxygene in Cannes.
The event will take you to the World of Fashion with two exclusive catwalk shows, top entertainment and stylish surprises.
The night will showcase some glorious brands such as Irish based label EDUN by Ali Hewson and Bono ( U2 ) with new collection. At midnight we spice it up with one of the hottest catwalk shows during the Cannes Film Festival. We present the exclusive lingerie show by Nichole de Carle and top models.
Experience the VIP fashion lifestyle and meet the top models and designers during the Cannes Film Festival.

Tickets at

cannes@behrentin.com

Event International - We communicate your brand

Bono-fied Friends Helena Christensen and Ali Hewson
They were supermodel and campaigning supermom, respectively, and then Helena Christensen and Ali Hewson inspired each other to even greater things

Helena Christensen was vacationing with her father in the south of France when Ali Hewson first invited them to stay at her place. It was the summer of 1991. Hewson had just had her second child, and her husband, Paul (whom she and nearly everyone else refer to by his stage name, Bono), was taking a break from recording “Achtung Baby” in Berlin. “I used to do my homework to loud U2 music,” Christensen says. “But Ali meant as much to me as Bono did because I already knew he must be inspired by a woman.”

Things have changed since then — Christensen has turned from supermodel to photographer, Bono has become nearly as famous for his diplomacy as for his music, and Hewson has started tinkering with her approach to the family’s second business — global relief. Through it all (including the births of Hewson’s third and fourth children and Christensen’s first), the two women have remained close, and their collaboration on the Hewsons’ latest project, the eco-fashion line Edun, has seen Christensen acting as unofficial brand ambassador, photographer and model. But perhaps most important of all, Edun is a new outlet for the two of them to inspire each other.

At first glance, the business plan for Edun, an organic-cotton fashion line connected to a beautifully photographed celebrity-ad campaign, looks suspiciously like the mission statement of a charitable operation. The business, with manufacturing operations in a constellation of developing nations that currently include Kenya, Mauritius, Peru, Tunisia and India, did grow directly out of Bono’s agitation on behalf of Africa. But the whole point of the Edun endeavor, Hewson says, is to make a profit — not because the executive board needs the money but to demonstrate to other entrepreneurs that it’s possible to do so in developing countries, paying fair wages and relying on local raw material entirely processed and manufactured by local labor, from start to finish. “We’re a tiny company, but we punch above our weight,” Hewson says. “And we don’t let Bono near the clothes.”

Hewson has been throwing herself into relief efforts around the world for years — she has been especially active in the Chernobyl Children’s Project International. She also is a founder and partner with Bryan Meehan in an organic skin-care line based on community-trade principles. (Even the brand name, Nude‚ has something in common with Edun.) At Edun Hewson finds herself arranging presentations of the collections one day and meeting with sub-Saharan NGOs the next. The schedule astounds Christensen, who is no stranger to such shuttling. She’s been very active in her friend’s relief efforts — running a charitable auction in New York or donating the proceeds from her recent photo exhibit at the Dactyl gallery, in SoHo, to the Chernobyl project; appearing in Edun fashion shows in Dublin and Cork; and modeling the line in Harper’s Bazaar. But to a great extent, she’s proudest to simply offer an oasis in Hewson’s schedule, inviting her over whenever she’s in town.

At 20, Christensen’s high cheekbones and wide-set, unearthly blue eyes helped her become one of the original “supermodels”; at 40, the features have mellowed into a distinctive wryness. She’s a talker first, funny, opinionated; her high-ceilinged West Village apartment, with its long dinner table and tall stools arranged around a kitchen island, seems designed as a series of stages for casual conversation. But lately, she has turned to photography in earnest, and it was her photos of actors such as Sean Penn, Gwyneth Paltrow and Ben Affleck that launched Edun’s “One” campaign, a sale of T-shirts funding AIDS relief to Lesotho, Africa.

Ali Hewson
The “One” campaign — that was a complicated shoot — with so many celebrities to fit in on a single day, one after the other. But it turned out to be a breeze, because Helena makes it all so easy. That’s what friendship is about in many ways. You become friends with someone because you see something in them that you admire. Apart from the fact that she’s just a 10 anyway, what’s great about Helena is her sense of style. Anytime you see her dressed, even casually, she’s got her own great understanding of fashion. And so when she wears Edun, it’s like a double compliment, because she wouldn’t wear it unless she liked it, and because with her strong sense of aesthetic, that approval has real value.

One of the reasons I like coming to New York is because I get to come to Helena’s after work at 6 o’clock, and I get a cup of tea, I get fed, I get talked to. She’s a one-woman show. She doesn’t even have a nanny. She’s able to organize her child, her private life, her business life — I think in the last week, she went to Frankfurt, she went to Milan.

She’ll always hit the funny side of any situation, and you can’t put her off. She just has unbelievable stamina. That’s Viking energy. You watch her, and you realize why the Vikings were so successful and how they conquered Ireland.
Helena Christensen

Yes. We took all the tall blondes and left the stubby-legged ones — and the brains. Sure, I may do what I do in my own little world, but Ali does her stuff on a global level. She doesn’t have that many people around her. It’s a tight group of people who all go at it with such enthusiasm and high spirits that I don’t feel I have. They take care of each other in a way I’ve never seen in any other line of work. I look at the world and go, “Oh, God, no!” and roll over. Ali gets out of bed and she does it!

The word “muse” sounds like something on a pedestal that’s close to perfection. It’s fine to have role models, but you also need people you know so well you see every single side of them. And I see her at other times, when she’s stressed out, which she actually never seems to be, but when she should be—when she’s jet-lagged and coming in for meetings, when she has gone to Peru to visit a factory or she’s coming in from Africa and at the same time she’s like, “How do you manage to cook a dinner at the same time that you’re getting your son ready for bed?” I’m like, “What are you talking about? Think about what you’re doing, you crazy woman!”

So it’s funny but maybe they can only deal with global things. And not the claptrappery. But Ali and Bono have taught me to look beyond that, to kick myself in the butt and go do something. They are muses for me, and I might be one for them. They look up to me — but that’s because I’m taller than them!
Edited from WSJ.’s interview with Hewson and Christensen

Bono-fied Friends Helena Christensen and Ali Hewson
They were supermodel and campaigning supermom, respectively, and then Helena Christensen and Ali Hewson inspired each other to even greater things

Helena Christensen was vacationing with her father in the south of France when Ali Hewson first invited them to stay at her place. It was the summer of 1991. Hewson had just had her second child, and her husband, Paul (whom she and nearly everyone else refer to by his stage name, Bono), was taking a break from recording “Achtung Baby” in Berlin. “I used to do my homework to loud U2 music,” Christensen says. “But Ali meant as much to me as Bono did because I already knew he must be inspired by a woman.”

Things have changed since then — Christensen has turned from supermodel to photographer, Bono has become nearly as famous for his diplomacy as for his music, and Hewson has started tinkering with her approach to the family’s second business — global relief. Through it all (including the births of Hewson’s third and fourth children and Christensen’s first), the two women have remained close, and their collaboration on the Hewsons’ latest project, the eco-fashion line Edun, has seen Christensen acting as unofficial brand ambassador, photographer and model. But perhaps most important of all, Edun is a new outlet for the two of them to inspire each other.

At first glance, the business plan for Edun, an organic-cotton fashion line connected to a beautifully photographed celebrity-ad campaign, looks suspiciously like the mission statement of a charitable operation. The business, with manufacturing operations in a constellation of developing nations that currently include Kenya, Mauritius, Peru, Tunisia and India, did grow directly out of Bono’s agitation on behalf of Africa. But the whole point of the Edun endeavor, Hewson says, is to make a profit — not because the executive board needs the money but to demonstrate to other entrepreneurs that it’s possible to do so in developing countries, paying fair wages and relying on local raw material entirely processed and manufactured by local labor, from start to finish. “We’re a tiny company, but we punch above our weight,” Hewson says. “And we don’t let Bono near the clothes.”

Hewson has been throwing herself into relief efforts around the world for years — she has been especially active in the Chernobyl Children’s Project International. She also is a founder and partner with Bryan Meehan in an organic skin-care line based on community-trade principles. (Even the brand name, Nude‚ has something in common with Edun.) At Edun Hewson finds herself arranging presentations of the collections one day and meeting with sub-Saharan NGOs the next. The schedule astounds Christensen, who is no stranger to such shuttling. She’s been very active in her friend’s relief efforts — running a charitable auction in New York or donating the proceeds from her recent photo exhibit at the Dactyl gallery, in SoHo, to the Chernobyl project; appearing in Edun fashion shows in Dublin and Cork; and modeling the line in Harper’s Bazaar. But to a great extent, she’s proudest to simply offer an oasis in Hewson’s schedule, inviting her over whenever she’s in town.

At 20, Christensen’s high cheekbones and wide-set, unearthly blue eyes helped her become one of the original “supermodels”; at 40, the features have mellowed into a distinctive wryness. She’s a talker first, funny, opinionated; her high-ceilinged West Village apartment, with its long dinner table and tall stools arranged around a kitchen island, seems designed as a series of stages for casual conversation. But lately, she has turned to photography in earnest, and it was her photos of actors such as Sean Penn, Gwyneth Paltrow and Ben Affleck that launched Edun’s “One” campaign, a sale of T-shirts funding AIDS relief to Lesotho, Africa.

Ali Hewson
The “One” campaign — that was a complicated shoot — with so many celebrities to fit in on a single day, one after the other. But it turned out to be a breeze, because Helena makes it all so easy. That’s what friendship is about in many ways. You become friends with someone because you see something in them that you admire. Apart from the fact that she’s just a 10 anyway, what’s great about Helena is her sense of style. Anytime you see her dressed, even casually, she’s got her own great understanding of fashion. And so when she wears Edun, it’s like a double compliment, because she wouldn’t wear it unless she liked it, and because with her strong sense of aesthetic, that approval has real value.

One of the reasons I like coming to New York is because I get to come to Helena’s after work at 6 o’clock, and I get a cup of tea, I get fed, I get talked to. She’s a one-woman show. She doesn’t even have a nanny. She’s able to organize her child, her private life, her business life — I think in the last week, she went to Frankfurt, she went to Milan.

She’ll always hit the funny side of any situation, and you can’t put her off. She just has unbelievable stamina. That’s Viking energy. You watch her, and you realize why the Vikings were so successful and how they conquered Ireland.

Helena Christensen

Yes. We took all the tall blondes and left the stubby-legged ones — and the brains. Sure, I may do what I do in my own little world, but Ali does her stuff on a global level. She doesn’t have that many people around her. It’s a tight group of people who all go at it with such enthusiasm and high spirits that I don’t feel I have. They take care of each other in a way I’ve never seen in any other line of work. I look at the world and go, “Oh, God, no!” and roll over. Ali gets out of bed and she does it!

The word “muse” sounds like something on a pedestal that’s close to perfection. It’s fine to have role models, but you also need people you know so well you see every single side of them. And I see her at other times, when she’s stressed out, which she actually never seems to be, but when she should be—when she’s jet-lagged and coming in for meetings, when she has gone to Peru to visit a factory or she’s coming in from Africa and at the same time she’s like, “How do you manage to cook a dinner at the same time that you’re getting your son ready for bed?” I’m like, “What are you talking about? Think about what you’re doing, you crazy woman!”

So it’s funny but maybe they can only deal with global things. And not the claptrappery. But Ali and Bono have taught me to look beyond that, to kick myself in the butt and go do something. They are muses for me, and I might be one for them. They look up to me — but that’s because I’m taller than them!:lol:
Edited from WSJ.’s interview with Hewson and Christensen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom