MERGED-->Canadian Prime Minister to help bring U2 to Ottawa?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ladywithspinninghead

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Canadian Prime Minister to help bring U2 to Ottawa?

From today`s Ottawa Citizen:

Radio hosts enlist PM's help to bring U2 to Ottawa

On Line 1, we have Prime Minister Paul Martin calling in.
In an unprecedented move, Mr. Martin is to call radio station BOB-FM tomorrow morning to talk to co-hosts Sandy Sharkey and J.R. (John) Rodenburg about one of his close pals, musician Bono from the Irish band U2. Ms. Sharkey has been lobbying hard for the band to include Ottawa on its worldwide tour and she's hoping Mr. Martin can pull a few strings.

"He's giving us the airtime to give an opinion on whether or not he can help us with bringing U2 to Ottawa," said Ms. Sharkey, whose online petition to bring the band here has received several thousand signatures since being posted on the station's website several months ago.

In addition, the morning host sent a letter to the prime minister asking for his support in the campaign and only recently did staff from the prime minister's office reply that he would be willing to talk about the band on the air.

"Mr. Martin may surprise us and offer us some help, but he may very well say that he can't use his position as leader of the country to bring a band to Ottawa."
She said she's not sure what to expect, although she's been advised the prime minister wants to keep the morning chat "lighthearted" and not too serious.
The prime minister will be calling the station at 7:45 a.m. tomorrow and is expected to chat for at least five minutes, she said.

Ms. Sharkey, a longtime fan of U2, wants to make sure the band does not bypass Ottawa on its current North American tour, which begins March 28 in San Diego. The band last played Ottawa in 1985 and she's hoping it might stop here on the second leg, which begins later this fall.

She said the fact that the prime minister is willing to talk about U2 on the air may spur more people to sign the petition.
"We knew that if we got the prime minister involved that it would open it up a lot bigger, so we think it (the petition) is going to steamroll. Once we get the prime minister onboard, it lends a lot more credibility to everything.
"Right now it's just wishful thinking on our part."

That's funny. It would be great for the people of Ottawa if U2 would play there, but it's not a very big city... Driving a few hours to Montreal or Toronto is not the end of the world, is it?

Where would they play, Civic(Ottawa) Centre? What's its capacity?

Perhaps alot of fans from eastern Canada will go to Montreal, thus demending another show there or in Ontario.

Montreal and Toronto seem like sure things, but if demand is great enough you might get additional shows or.......additional cities.

It's almost too bad they plan on Oceania this year instead of early next year. It limits them moreso than if they had a 4-month American swing.

Last edited:
Well I missed the interview with the PM this morning, but those who listened tell me that the Prime Minister is game and will hand deliver the petition to Bono himself.

Tres funny stuff!!!

Y anever know..it may work! They played a second Albany date in 1992 after one local station started a petition that got 25,000 signatures and they took it to PM in NYC.

Good luck....

jedi Larry said:
Where would they play, Civic(Ottawa) Centre? What's its capacity?

Perhaps alot of fans from eastern Canada will go to Montreal, thus demending another show there or in Ontario.

Montreal and Toronto seem like sure things, but if demand is great enough you might get additional shows or.......additional cities.

It's almost too bad they plan on Oceania this year instead of early next year. It limits them moreso than if they had a 4-month American swing.

it'd be at the Corel Center if anything, which is a full size NHL Arena

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! I have a friend in Ottawa, this would be a great excuse to come and visit her!

We can call it the U2 cross Canada tour!

Corel Center would be the venue if U2 played Ottawa and I am certain that their is demand for the show there.

Back
Top Bottom