is it just me ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYRangers78

War Child
is it just me or does bono not make sense when hes talking about mlk's dream? he says martin luther kings dream was for every man to be created equal under the eyes of god. were taught everyone is equal in the eyes of god. wasnt mlk's dream for everyone to be TREATED equally by its fellow man and government regardless of color, creed, or religion. i know what bono means, but does anyone think he should word it better? ive asked a bunch of people that and after hearing the bootlegs, theyve said the same thing.

You can't expect rock stars and politicians to know the facts. Heck, Bono's screwed up MLK tributes for almost forever. ("In the morning, April 4...") :wink:

Jokes aside, you are correct. Bono is taking (what I will refer to as) literary license with MLK's dream. He cares so much about the unfortunate abyss that is Africa that he is trying to get OUR attention using concepts (broad concepts) that we can relate to. (Equality) In a way, Bono's "license-taking" says a lot about us short-of-attention Americans since you are the first person (as far as I know) to point out the inconsistency (btwn Bono's speech and MLK's dream) on these boards.

Perhaps this is where he gets it from:

"I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed; we hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal."

Towards the end of the speech.

I don't see any inconsistency.

I do, however, see inconsistency with dedicating Running to Stand Still to the US armed forces. Seems a little bit of a pandering moment to me. Bugs me everytime I hear it. How about the Iraqi's in Abu Gharib? Treated equally, without torture? I hope he is being satirical.

The US, unfortunately, is not the gold standard in the upholding of human rights in the world. It's armed forces generally are on the sharp end of that stick.

Tacky.

Last edited:
cmb737 said:
I don't see any inconsistency.

I do, however, see inconsistency with dedicating Running to Stand Still to the US armed forces. Seems a little bit of a pandering moment to me. Bugs me everytime I hear it. How about the Iraqi's in Abu Gharib? Treated equally, without torture? I hope he is being satirical.

The US, unfortunately, is not the gold standard in the upholding of human rights in the world. It's armed forces generally are on the sharp end of that stick.

Tacky.

No he isn't being tacky. He is being Sincere. I take extreme offense to the fact that you are painting the entire military with such a broad brush. Abu Gharib was unfortunate, and those responsible are being punished, but it was far from what would be considered real torture. I would say sawing innocent people's HEADS OFF would be more along the lines of torture. What you fail to realize is that the military doesn't decide when its gonna use its power. POLITICANS DO. Bono understands that. unfortunately, you don't.

Abomb-baby said:

No he isn't being tacky. He is being Sincere. I take extreme offense to the fact that you are painting the entire military with such a broad brush. Abu Gharib was unfortunate, and those responsible are being punished, but it was far from what would be considered real torture. I would say sawing innocent people's HEADS OFF would be more along the lines of torture. What you fail to realize is that the military doesn't decide when its gonna use its power. POLITICANS DO. Bono understands that. unfortunately, you don't.

Well said!!

yes well said. and i don''t think that any other country or the UN for that matter does any worthwhile job at all protecting human rights. so yeah the US botches things, but we're also working harder than other countries to do good. we're held to a higher standard, and we're easier to hate....

Back
Top Bottom