BTBS solo on the dvd...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WalkOn21

Refugee
OK, forgive my newbishness on live versions of Bullet The Blue Sky, but:

I was pleasantly surprised by the bluesy solo Edge did on it on the Chicago DVD. I'd never heard it before, and I have DVDs of JT / ZooTV / Pop / Elevation / Vertigo.

So tell me: am I just badly informed, and is this something they've been doing for years, or did he invent this solo for the Chicago show (or for the Vertigo Tour, or whatever)?

its a new solo for the Vertigo Tour, but I think he'd modified it a bit since the first leg.

my favorite part of the solo on the DVD is watching the light curtains. theyre moving up, then down, then up, then down, then up, then down, then gone for good. its like they're on crack.

FWIW, The Edge royally fucks up the BTBS solo on the DVD. Guitarists would call it, "hiding behind the delays."

Anyway, as far as I remember, for the most part of the first leg, the BTBS solo was totally bluesy, i.e., no speed playing like in the BTBS solos post-ZooTV.

Towards the end of the first leg (right around the Chicago shows, I think), The Edge added a bit of the speed guitar bit to the middle of the BTBS solo. He continued this for the Euro tour as well.

Sometime during the Third Leg, however, he moved the speed part of the BTBS solo to the end. And that's how I heard it last Sunday in Boston.

Okay, back to work, I go... again! :|

While I like the solo, this new version is a snoozefest.
I know am about 6 months late, but I hadn't heard this version until the last month.

I was watching the DVD with my dad who is 63 and actually likes some U2 especially Streets.

I knew he wouldn't want to watch the whole thing so I asked him what songs he wanted to hear, he had recognized BTBS from all the times I watched Rattle and Hum and ZooTv Sydney growing up and likes the song, especially the R&H version.

Anyhow, I played him Streets and he loved it and then I played him BTBS and he said "is that it?" and I replied "yes" and my old dad just eloquently replied "sucked".

I think that about sums it up. It's not a great version. The solo is pretty cool, but that version is just slow and lethargic and BTBS should be euthanized until they get their balls back for that song.

I am a big fan of the new bluesy version. The slower the better. Of course, what do I know, I think the POPMart version is the best ever.

I really like the bluesy solo of Bullet this tour. That song needed some life. The other bit around where he Bono sings "hands that built.." is really cool too!

That said. You guys HAVE to check out the Bullet Solo from Toronto 2...HOLY SHIT! Better than the zoo/pop versions...seriously. :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

About the only live version I like, for once Edge layed off his Hendrix impersonation/effects overdose on the solo.

personally i miss the full-on rocked out solo he did on zootv and popmart and elevation - it was a firestorm!

U2DMfan said:

It's not a great version. The solo is pretty cool, but that version is just slow and lethargic and BTBS should be euthanized until they get their balls back for that song.

This version seems more chilling and haunting than previous versions. In this case, slow brings a differnt feel to an old warhorse. As long as they're still playing it, they may as well mess with it, if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom