Fan's Perspective: Bono for President?*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
By Joel Tanner
Chief Elvis

Normally I try to discourage any political articles for Interference.com. This, however, is an exception.

I have come in contact with many eligible voters here in the United States who are seriously considering either not voting, writing-in a vote or voting for a minority party candidate for the presidential election in November. Recently I, and a number of others, received an e-mail from an Interference.com reader urging voters to write-in a vote for Bono for president. The author makes the following claim about Bono, "This guy, who is not at all eligible to run for this office, would be so far superior to our current choices that the point has to be made and the protest vote has to be lodged. Consider joining me in the ultimate protest vote in 2004 and vote Bono for president.?

I love the idea but the problem I see with calling people to action to write-in someone like Bono is that they will be wasting critical votes that will be needed in what is to be another tight race. Every vote counts. As was seen in the last election, the country's president was decided on by less than 1,000 votes.

As a U2 fan, and a voter, I urged this author not to pursue his "protest" actively and to indicate to his site visitors that they should use their vote wisely and not to waste it on a vote that will not be counted toward one of the two major parties.

I'm worried not because of who will be the next elected president but how American voters use their voice, and when they use it. This race for the presidency has been going on for months, the first line of candidates long since gone from the evening news. The time to decide, and influence, who will run for president has passed. The primaries are over. If you want to protest who our candidates are, I urge you to get involved in the political process and dedicate your efforts toward the following election.

Now is the time, even if you think you'll be voting for the lesser of two evils, to make your vote count.

For more information on the presidential election and candidates, please visit: http://www.moveon.org, http://www.rockthevote.org, http://www.georgewbush.com, and http://www.johnkerry.com.

nicely put .. I really hope Americans "Rock the Vote" this time.., there are alot better ways to use your voice then through this sort of protest vote that in reality won't make a bit of difference , like Elvis said it might be a case of the lesser of two evils this time around and at this stage of the game, then the best you can do is make sure it doesnt happen again .. but at least make this vote count

A vote for Bono would be great if he were really running, and I'd prefer him of any canidate I can think of - but in the current situation it's really taking away a vote from whichever major canidate you would have supported. Even if you don't like either one of them, just remember that this election will be decided by something like 3% of the voters. Considering how many U2 fans there are out there, that's a lot of voting power that could be wasted on a protest that could backfire.

If you wanna vote for U2, buy their new album.

Cheers
Mike

"...they should use their vote wisely and not to waste it on a vote that will not be counted toward one of the two major parties."

Ralph Nader's supporters might take exception to that statement. ;)

TheFirstBigW said:
"...they should use their vote wisely and not to waste it on a vote that will not be counted toward one of the two major parties."

Ralph Nader's supporters might take exception to that statement. ;)

I took that into consideration when I wrote the article. During the last election 3rd party votes took away from Dem and Rep votes... making the election even closer. I admire people for wanting change, but essentially... voting 3rd party or write-in is just about the same as tossing your vote in the trash. That was the point I was trying to get across in the article.

I disagree that it's throwing your vote into the trash. You vote for the candidate whom you think is best for the country, not who's got the best chance of winning. Many out there would disagree with me, but that's how we got John Kerry as a candidate, who, in my opinion, is not that different, or better, than Bush.

pianorocker said:
I disagree that it's throwing your vote into the trash. You vote for the candidate whom you think is best for the country, not who's got the best chance of winning. Many out there would disagree with me, but that's how we got John Kerry as a candidate, who, in my opinion, is not that different, or better, than Bush.

:up:

The more people believe voting for a minor party candidate is throwing away a vote, the less is going to chance in the political system.

I'm not against third part votes in fact I am all for them, vote for the canidate that represents what you want to see..thats all...just don't throw a vote away ..

I have much respect for Bono but given he's not on the ballet, not american, not really seemingly interested in being a politician..
a vote for someone thats not elegiable is taken away from those who are.. ...

* I think some of the canidates though could use Bono's help on speech writing..

Back
Top Bottom