!!! -PRAYERS For Dazzled's MOM needed- !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzledbylight

Blue Crack Supplier
:huh: :crack: :huh:

My mom's better (sis e-m'd me this afternoon), but our mom went into the hosptial for pneumonia last night.
:crazy: :scream: :crazy:

&##@!!)(@##%%!!!

*can I put my head on the table NOW*!!??!!!

:sigh:
wavery smile...........sheeeesh!!!!!!

Help :help: us HURRY those pneunomia pathogens & fliuds AWAY..... FASTER!!!!!!

:hug:S & ~** Thanks inn Advance! **~

:hug:S
thank you ,all!:heart:

I saw her tonight. she looks pretty good. Breathing monitor little test went well while I was there.
We talked on & off for about 45 mins.
Showed her my newbie crochetting :D and SPRING time & cherry tree blosooms photos etc. She loved all that. :)

BUT :huh: they seemed to ask her if she ever had trouble with her heart - which she hasn't-- she's not sure if they asked her if she ever had an enlarged heart. :huh:

Doctor is not in till tomorrow.

:fingerscrossed:

:( :sad: :(
:sigh: :sigh:

well, my mom doesn't have pneumonia after all...which is GOOD- BUT instead---
she's got something elsethat's not very good either.

I feel beleaguered and lucky at the same time.
SHe's got a Pulmonary Artery thrombosis- a clot.

Lucky-- I think if it had been a full clot-- I think it could have killed her BEFORE she could have gotten to the hospital.

beleaugered......just having another medical problem situation again to worry about.
:mad: :censored: :mad:

This is not completely new, she had a minor stroke back in ?1997.
But who needs more things to have trouble with!
:huh:

She's got an intravenious drip for dissolving the clot.
They took scans of her legs, too. As of yesterday they didn't know where the clot was coming from.
They don't know yet whether she'll have to take blood thinners permanentlyyet.

:scream: aaaaaaaaaaa!!!! sheeessshhhhh!
ends ranrt//

I'll be visiting her tomorrow. My sis visits today.

Last edited:
My M-I-L had that last year and is fine now (I mean she's got other probs but the clot is gone). :hug: and good thoughts and pagan get well dances headed your way.

Awww, Dazzled! :hug: :hug: Good vibes for you, your mom and your sister.

You're certainly getting it from every direction this week, aren't you? :( Thank goodness someone at the facility your mom's in was aware enough to get her to the hospital in good time!

I'll be thinking of you - keep us posted, sweetie, and try not to stress *too* much, take care of yourself, too. :heart:

#SHORT VERSION#
things got worse, now she's better- but not yet out of the danger zone.

DETAILS:
MY sis had seen her Fri night &PM. SHe wasn't great, but not terrible. She originally was in ICU Tues, then was moved down to a regular roomat some point. Maybe Weds.

Luckly for us the hospital is just a few block from my sis's home.

SO She was sent baqck to the ICU. They called my sis several times between 3:00A - 5:30AM finally woke her up.
SHe triend calling me at 5:30A etc but (and I don't often hear the phone down the hall from my room - I often sleep strong, soone of my roomate's finally heard it at 7:20. SO I finally got the call.
I better get up there.

One of my sis's friends is a nurse, so she got up there fairly early.
I got there by about 9:30- that's 3 subway trains, a shuttle bur & a regular bus. I made very good time.

Mom had gotten to a whisper talking wise.

SO they put a stronger Breather mask device on her. later they added a broncho-dialater (helps the big paasageways in the lungs).
Her pulse rate got much bettere esp as she slet, but even sometimes when she was awake.
They had a little clip on device with electric attachment and it monitors the oxygen in the blood. SHe was not getting 96- 97 out of 100 (best), and by the time we left a buch of hours later it was 98-99 and even 100.

The have here on bloodthinners to dissolve the pulmonary clot. They think it might be affecting her pulse rate and breathing. At one point it seemed she had too much CO2 (carbon dioxide) what we breath out.

Fri night before she got bad, but knew she was kind of in trouble she said to my sis "I'm too young to die"....so her inntitial reaction was to possibly disregard our Mom's DNR: Do Not ressusitaTE. WHen the pulse is gone.

what we went out to have lunch (it was safe for us to leave), after we went elsewhere in the nabe and discussed the Awful Stuff.

From what the doctor who spent time talking with her earlier in the week.....
...Mom didn't seem to want a tube in - so the machine would brerath for her > like they sometimes do in Surgery, but then it's removed.

This is because she'd be totally confined to her room in the Nursing Home she is in. WHich would really pretty much ruin her quality of life.

While at one point she wouldn't continue to try usinmg the walker ( ? 2 yrs in ), she plooped herself down in a wheelchair, and that was that.
But she'd walk herself around the home to various spots and activities. ANd elevators too).

When she could no longer use the wheel chair after summer 96 when they discovered she had dislocated shoulder & atrophied rotator cuff muscle (shoulder) she DEMANDED a motor-chair. Everyonne said because of hoew curved down her back was (osteoperosis- decades of the old steroids for bad asthma)- sahe could never learn.

But she did! And they got a donated motor-chairt for her.
SO she loves her independence. SHe goes outsdie on the beautiful grounds. She goes to the library to get her books. ANd visits our dad in another part of the complex.

this is why the intubation would probaly be wrong for her wishes.

I wanted them to use "the paddles" if her heart gave out....my sis wasn't so sure being it was against the DNR.

I said what If that was the oNE thing that could maybe used just that time--would get her past the danger zone.I said I wasn't ready to let her (our mom) go [weep, weep, weep]
My sis is HER Health Proxy- so my sis has the final decision. I said well I might be made at you for a while off & on...but I wouldn't let it destroy our realationship.

It turns out as we talked all of this through...we needed more info from the docs. SO we got back. We kept talking to the doctor off on as he ahd to attend to other things as well.

But :sad: then it turned out docs info......to bring back the pulse if it goes...they have to do the tube thing too, so that is a no go.

they will all they can up to that point....all other medicnes breath stuff etc. THey are treating her quite well, as gentle as they can.

SHe has had bad colds before.. But they think this might be more bronchitis. She was in the same hopsital abut a year ago for a bad asthma attck- luckily those have been quite rae for her in the paST 20 + yrs ESP compared to the first 15 yrs or so.

theyu wonder but don't know for sure whether her lungs are suddenly getting weaker becuase of decaDES OF ASTHMA.The clot may be a factoor, but they not sure it is reccent.

ANyway...

that's the current story.
I will be going home, and hopefully get NO EMERGENCY calls tomorrow.:pray: :pray: :pray:
MY sis will visit her in the morningish, I'll check in withher and visit mom later.

It was actually a VERY STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL *SPRING* Day today (and I didn't let it get away, as it helped to keep me calmer than possibly other wise).

I'll post tommorrow.
ANd ***THANK YOU ALL ***again.
:hug::heart::hug:

Last edited:
*thank you* Wild & kaffy. :hug:S

i think i was leaning towards to feeling more worried - and it could have been the extra-tiredness, too, by the time I posted last night.

But I also had calm periods of hope, too.

I visited her this evening. She can still only whsper, but I did get some GOOD news. :)

The doctor who was there yesterday after the doctor who had spent the most time with her qas also there today.
He said the bigger concern for them now was that she still had too much CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) in her blood.
Her lungs weren't expelling it as well as they should be.

Tdoday - it has to be done by blood test- they said she was definately better (maybe even much )better THAN yesterday re those CO2 levels.
This might mean her lungs are beginning to rebound. :CROSSEDFINGERS:

Today they kept the mask on 2 hrs then off 1 hour. She really doesn't like it, but she has to have it. Also - because the air current is so strong- it also goes down he esophigus into her stomach and the stomach bloats up. SO that cuts down on that.

Today they also cut the flow down. So tonmorrow they're going to try to have her go longer without it, and then test her for CO2.

SO we "talked"....a bit of whispering, hand "signals' and writing letters on my palm to spell out words/sentences ....off & on for 2 1/2 hrs . SHe napped, too.
I showed her some pretty things and told her a few little stories. She did go opened eyed at the beautiful pictuures, and crinkled her eyes with laughter.

WHile We're stilled plagued with her possible death, and my own internal mind's eye visuals of that....I am feeling another knotch up in HOPE. :yes:

Please keep those prayers, well wishes, good vibes, and pagan healing dances coming. :) :hug:S

~**Thanks**~ :heart: to you all.

Last edited:
:hug: Thinking of you Dazz. Your Mum's in the best place and I'm sending all my positive thoughts for her recovery.

quick update

My sis told me around noontime today...

they are going to keep the little oxygen tube -- it'ds the little plastic hose with the small tubes sticking up that goo into her nostrilss, and then keep the stronger breathmask on at night.THere also trying to give her a little food today (vs intravenious) .

SO if her heart can stay strong so that gives her lungs the time they need to recover from having been overwhelmed earlier last week, then better, then really overwhelmed very early this past sat-- now improving bit by bit the past 48 hrs she's got a real chance to make it through .

Since I'm running out of money (i'm on the free acess now)--
If I DON'T post tonight then things are most likely improving more [unless life forbid she has a rapid decline and I'm at the hospital] and I'LL POST TOMORROW with an update.

***THANK YOU*** all, again.:hug: :hug:

DAZZ'S Mom takes a turn for the worst....

dear Mods please hold this seperate until say midnight Tues/Weds- this way more people will catch it faster. Then you can merge it. Thanks~

:sad: oh my goodness.............while I haven't given hope completely....it's gotten a bad shaking...........

My sis was trying to get me for several hours but I didn't get her message, till I got home around 8:30PM, and saw a note tacked on the door by one of my romates.

I got all shakey at first, called a( more reccent) friend who said - it might be she just wants to further update you. I didn't want ask the roomie - how my sis sounded b/c that roomie is far from being a nice person a fair amount of the time.

So my friend managed to calm me down.

It took about an hour for my sis to call me back after I left a message on her cell.

It seems our mom can not get rid of all this mucus in the bottom part of her lungs. She's become too weak.
They tried some procedure today for which my sis forgot it's name (she's not too good with medical stuff, while I have learned to endure it better than she, plus I'm a science buff ).
It DIDN'T work. :(

SO she wants me to meet with the doc who has spent the most time with our mom at 11AM Tues.
She wants the doctor to explain again to me ??procedures plus the intubattion thing which she feels would not be good for my mom since it imprisons her in her room- if she got well enought to return home from this ordeal.

Sis told me mom doesn't want to fight anymore -which is on one level a shocker considering all the fighting to live she's has had to do in the past at times.

(posting this part some i don't lose it will BRB.)

I can certainly understand this, she been through SO much since her mid-late 30's.

Then I called a different friend- very long time since college who knows and loves my mom as well.
Now she didn't know my mom was in the ICU (again) vs a regular room.

She said to me - omg you should run up to the hospital right now (10:30PM) and convince your mom to do it (intubation).
Becasue she said that she'd some peole come off of it at the the hospital she'd worked at for nearly/over ? 30 years.

ANd she told me how her dad had on several occasions fussed and fought NOT to go into the hospital when he got too sick, and how she finally would get hiim to go and he'd feel thankful she finally got him to do so.
PLUS the fact that the last time he was in the hospital for about 7 months ('91 ish) and in the last 1 - 2 weeks he was intubated.

The tragedy became that he was supposed to get off the intubation, but he either got so agitated one day (they didn't want to restrain him , b/c he did get agitated at times, but the restraints only made him MORE miserable) that he EITHER ripped out the tube from the Oxygen machine, or in his asgitation it got accidentally knocked out- that he died because no one was there when it happened.:huh: ( i had forgotten about THAT part).

I asked her to call my sis to tell her all this. It took a while to get through. and she didn't get to tell my sis the story about her dad. Then she told me she didn't know she was in the ICU. I'm sure I told her sat morning as I blubbered on a payphone to her on the way to the hospital. Nor how weak she'd gotten.

SO my sis wants me to hear what the doctor has to say, AND ( here's where it get REALLY TRICKY -- she want s me to be "on the same page" with her as to NOT ASKING my mom to try the intubation.
That we present to our mom that we both agree about the intubation proceedure- not doing it. So mom feels OK about not doing it.

But I don't know IF I CAN DO that.
Yes it's probably selfish (and as a ex-Catholic being selfish is one of the worse things you can say to someone Esp a woman who's supposed to be self-sacraficing) but i want her to at least give it a try.

NOW maybe when it all gets explained FURTHER to me- I will agree w them.

But if I don't agree AND I will tell them what I am going to say in the meeting if I haven't been convinced to shut up-- --
I guess I'm willing to take the chnce that my sis will be angry with me for saying this to my mom (who has the final descion) more than I'm able to live with the BIG Regret that I
didn't say anything.

And i guess I can live with my mom being upset that I'm not 'going along'.
I guess I'm angry at the asthma which has finally taken it's long toll.I'm not going to fight w her either. I just have to say this.

ANd I do feel like I'm being a bad person for probably doing this.:( :reject:

my first friend-- saidafter I rephoned her-- no! yo're not bad. You have to do what you have to do and your sis will do what she has to do.

I'm still hoping for as miracle. They'll make her as comfortable as she can be, and i don't know how many days it will take.

this place is about to close. so I'll try to check in tomorrow eve or weds when the new & improved Blue Craic arrives. So i'm sorry if there's mistakes I've missed.

I hope I've been clear enough.

thank you all :hug:S

Last edited:
Dazzled :hug: :hug: For what it's worth, and I don't mean to create problems between you and your sister, but I think you're right, that the options should be laid out for your mom, and she should be the one to make the decision without pressure or guilt (unintentional, of course) from either of you. As long as she's physically and mentally able to still make decisions, that is.

I don't know a great deal about intubation of the elderly, but my sister-in-law suffered from severe asthma for several years, and there was a 10 year period where she was intubated a couple of times per year, until her lungs could get strong enough to work on their own again. Pretty much the same scenario occurred with one of Sarah's best friends' mother, too...whenever the asthma got bad, it would require hospitalization, and sometimes intubation. Once their lungs healed enough, they could come off the intubation, and they were fine.

All cases are different of course. Maybe speaking to the doctor this morning will help you feel more at peace with whatever you decide?

I'll be thinking of you guys today. Wish I could give you a big ol' in person hug right now. Take care, Dazzled. :hug: :hug:

Last edited:
:hug: Dazz... it sounds like a tricky situation, and hard enough without all the other stuff to worry about.

I have to agree, though, you need to do what your heart tells you.

Thinking of you and hoping it all works out, Dazz! :hug:

I'm so sorry to hear that your mom has taken a turn for the worse, Dazz. I can only imagine how hard this is for you. I totally agree with the other ladies, you need to follow your heart on this. Your sis will just have to try to understand, or not, but you need to do what you feel is right or you will regret it later.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Back
Top Bottom