(12-04-2004) Bono Plans Lifelong Poverty Fight -- BBC*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Bono Plans Lifelong Poverty Fight

Rock singer Bono has pledged to spend the rest of his life trying to help the impoverished around the world.

The U2 frontman told BBC One's Friday Night with Jonathan Ross he wanted the current generation to be "remembered for something other than the internet".

It should be "the first generation to eradicate extreme poverty", he said.

"I want to spend the rest of my life doing that." His bandmates complained but supported his causes he said, adding it still felt great to be in U2.

Bono has been a high-profile campaigner on issues including third world debt and Aids, and has a close relationship with some of the world's most important politicians.

Bono said world leaders looked at him like "sort of exotic plant"
He said 1985's Live Aid concert, raising money for the starving in Africa, made him see what could be achieved.

"That day changed my life and started me on this incredible adventure," he said.

World leaders looked at him "like I'm some sort of exotic plant", he told Ross.

"But I've found them to be very respectful. When I met [Bill] Clinton, I looked like our road crew and he burst out laughing.

"I don't feel nervous, I feel they should be nervous because they're the ones who have to be held accountable."

U2 have just released their 11th studio album, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, which has gone to number one around the world.

"We feel like we've just made our first album, we don't like looking back," he said. "It's a great feeling to be in this band at the moment."

Bono has been one of world's biggest rock stars since U2 rose to superstar status in the early 1980s.

--BBC

Bono is not implying that he isn't going to continue in U2. All he's saying is that he's not going to give up trying to eradicate extreme poverty. He has already spent the last 6 years putting his energy in both that and U2.

I'm so proud of him! :up:

That is something that I have been thinking about ... and that is how I can imagine Bono. It certainly is one of the reasons why I am a fan.
The world is a much better place with you Paul Hewson.
:heart:

This is nice from Bono. I mean, through his music, he has achieved the top... But this wasn't enough.
I think one of the best features of Bono is his being so concrete and ready to do whatever he can to let other achieve a better life! This is not common in ordinary people!
That's why I'm keeping to consider B-man as a beautiful, extraordinary human being!

Yeah, remember, this anti-poverty stuff of Bono's is really, really hard work, very frustrating, and something he doesn't *have* to do. Bravo, Bono!

This straightforward statement by Bono on Jonathan Ross' show the other night seemed unequivocable to me -

we can expect Bono to be at the forefront of Social Justice struggles, especially those centering on the elimination of extreme poverty and Global AIDS, for the rest of his life! :yes:

For me, there could have been NO BETTER NEWS that I could have heard.

Knowing that Bono has publicly recommitted himself to a life of personal involvement in helping to make the world a fairer and more just place to live for all, the lives of thousands of the world's most poor and desparate people will be given a second chance at a better life for generations to come - and that is a GOOD (BONO) THING!:angel:

Bono has not said that he won't continue creating beautiful music, he has just put the political powers that be on notice that they will have him around for years advocating for social justice and peace.

THE WORLD IS A BETTER AND A BRIGHTER PLACE WITH BONO IN IT....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Love you always, B-man.

I really wasn't worried at all when Bono said what he said. I think that he just meant that he will continue with the brilliant work he has been doing, and also that maybe he wanted to let a wider audience know of his intentions to keep going. I didn't think for a second when he said this that it would mean the end of U2!
I agree Jamila that this is THE BEST NEWS!! I'm so proud of him and to quote Elton John, 'How wonderful life is while you're in the world!' I'm so happy to be alive to experience him and all he does!
:bow: :bow: :bono: :applaud: :applaud:

snutes1 said:
This will be their last album for a long time.

Actually, I think they might speed up things - not exactly as quick as Rattle and Hum followed Joshua Tree or the way Zooropa followed Achtung Baby, but I imagine they will return to the approximately 3 years between albums.

Back
Top Bottom