(09-13-2005) Sinead hits out at Bono - Ireland OnLine*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Sinead hits out at Bono

Sinead O'Connor is furious at Bono's public grief following Pope John Paul II's death earlier this year - particularly as the Irish rocker notoriously ripped up a picture of the pontiff years before his demise.

O'Connor is amazed by Bono's apparent hypocrisy, and admits she is getting "a little sick of Bono's self-importance".

She says: "I wasn't going to say anything until I saw him kissing he rosary beads that the Pope gave him.

"He put those rosary beads on that microphone (stand) the day the Pope died and went on about how great Catholicism is. I think he should apologise for that."

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertainment/story.asp?j=155712536&p=y557y3z4z

HelloAngel said:
Sinead hits out at Bono
I think he should apologise for that.

I think this woman is either an idiot or an immature adult, but she’s probably both.
I’m sure she will have the chance to explain this crap to Bono personally and maybe apologize to him.

I think the article is not written very good because it complains too less.
If she alludes to the fact that Bono supports the DATA organization which fights against AIDS on the one hand, and didn't critizise the pope that he abolished using condoms for catholics on the other hand then I think a bit of criticism is allowed.
But since the article doesn't explain anything you cannot really say why she is that annoyed.
Bono isn't the only person who is in grief, but he certainly is the only person the public knows off.

Im sorry but Sinead O'Connor isn't exactly one to be off and running her mouth there about someone else. She needs to go and take a good hard long look in her own backyard.

Last edited:
That woman changes her views with the wind. I love her singing but she is the queen of hipocracy from where I'm stood.

And yes, it was Sinead not Bono that tore up the picture of the Pope.. maybe this article is just contrived.

Didn't Sinead become a priest? If so, wouldn't that suggest that her views toward Catholicism have changed since the SNL appearance?

yeah she is a priest, i think this article needs to be confirmed before we react to it to be honest.

BTW whoever didnt know who she is, she is a famous christian singer and sang an incredibly love song, nothing compares 2u(i htink its spelt like that) aged 18.

go to hell sinead

sinead oconnor is the most loud mouthed, insensitive, butch feminazi i have ever seen. whether she supports catholicism or not, how dare she bash Bono for honoring a great man like the pope. She is absolutely ridiculous (and probably jelous her career isnt anything like Bono's!!!) and needs to shut her annoying trap!

Re: go to hell sinead

lizonyx said:
sinead oconnor is the most loud mouthed, insensitive, butch feminazi i have ever seen. whether she supports catholicism or not, how dare she bash Bono for honoring a great man like the pope. She is absolutely ridiculous (and probably jelous her career isnt anything like Bono's!!!) and needs to shut her annoying trap!

Very well said! :applaud:

Sinead needs to grow the hell up. Just cuz she may have had a bad experience with a particular part of the Catholic church doesn't mean the whole thing is bad.

Flanagan's book talks a lot about how Bono sees Sinead -- almost like the younger black sheep of the family you shake your head about but can't help but love. "I'll take a heart of flesh over a heart of stone," he says in the book. "Sinead knows this."

So I gather he's heard about this, has shaken his head, and moves on.

She's obviously jealous of the band...hell the only song I remember from her was a looooong time ago. I think it was called Nothing Compares...lyrics along the lines of "since you took my hair away....or somethin' like that......

nathan1977 said:
Flanagan's book talks a lot about how Bono sees Sinead -- almost like the younger black sheep of the family you shake your head about but can't help but love. "I'll take a heart of flesh over a heart of stone," he says in the book. "Sinead knows this."

So I gather he's heard about this, has shaken his head, and moves on.

If this is true, Bono is a far bigger person than I am.

It's one thing to offer honest criticism to someone's face, but to talk trash about them to the press is another thing entirely.

I always liked Sinead's music but she's the kind of person I wouldn't want anywhere near me.

What? Is it National pick on Bono week? First his cowboy hat isn't right, then he doesn't do enough for the hurricane effort, etc., now this?

We all know Bono and U2 try their best......and they are the best band around....and they do try to help humanity {if there is even such a word in this world any more}.

I just don't get it......only if mankind would ride the positive waves..then perhaps this spinning World may survive.

:| but really :madspit:
and that's normally not like me :|

Re: reply

wizard2c said:
What? Is it National pick on Bono week? First his cowboy hat isn't right, then he doesn't do enough for the hurricane effort, etc., now this? :|

Well yes it is! actually. :eyebrow: But don't fret. I read a great deal more postive articles that I do negative and the positive articles are from reports and newspapers who report on the overall results rather that the "in the moment" things.
He is highly respected so some of these articles and comments are just personal feelings and opinions instead of what's really going on with these relevant issues.. He's used to it , :bono:

With that said, I'm sure he has to feel the pain of what some people say at some point. :heart:

Carek1230 said:
I thought Sinead and Bono were on friendly terms.....now she slams him, wtf? Maybe she feels she needs more publicity. I don't care for her.

She is just about to release a new CD - that is why she is spouting off. As some say, any publicity is good publicity ....

Mike

Re: go to hell sinead

I don't mind what I've heard by her :shrug:.

lizonyx said:

Uh...free speech, anyone? She has the right to say what she wants. I don't agree with her comment, no, but she still has the right to say it.

Also, I know some people aside from Sinead who don't support the Pope, either...but that's an entirely different debate altogether.

*Quietly meanders her way out of thread*

Angela

Back
Top Bottom