(08-29-2005) U2 Fans Angry at Band's New Web Charge -- Sunday Independent*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DonoMan said:
They took down the free forum because some people were stirring up trouble, tempers flaring, etc. Call it a "cooling off" period. It had nothing to do with the band's "greed". The people who are fast to jump to conclusions are the same people who are largely responsible for dragging the U2 name through the mud. I'd be happy to see it stop any time now.

While the temporary closure of the free site didn't have anything to do with wanting to charge fans more money, anything to do with joining U2.com is going to stir up anger because a lot of fans are still very upset over the idea of paying $40 a year to join an often sub-par website, especially if they didn't get to take advantage of the Vertigo ticket presales, perhaps the major benefit of joining U2.com in the first place. I hope that this little bit of controversy makes the band and its management rethink how much they're going to charge fans in the fall when its time for many of us to rejoin.

jacobus said:
don't forget:
U2.COM is the crappiest site of any group on the web

they are greedy assholes
and U2 are responsible for that shitty site and though they are responsible for the greed...but hey maybe they give away the money to Africa???

That's kinda....intense, don't ya think? My impression of things is that there's a huge divide between the online U2 and the real deal...a parallel universe where the two never meet.

I fear that the folks running the site could be hangers-on from the band's early days, and loyalty being paramount for the boys, these ignoramaces are like kept children at the breakfast table.

The official site sucks, yes, that's why I come here....a place i'm spending wayyy to much time at lately...:drunk:...on the other hand, nothing says DETOX like $40....(don't ever go that far ,Interference creator people).

That would make me sad:sad:

:wink:

angelordevil said:

I fear that the folks running the site could be hangers-on from the band's early days...

The head honcho, the one running things over there, is Adam Clayton's brother, Sebastian.

U2dork said:

The head honcho, the one running things over there, is Adam Clayton's brother, Sebastian.

:hmm:....maybe baby brother is outta control with his desire to measure up to big bro's $$$.

I have no idea....GREED SUCKS!!!!!:mad:

But I really do view the actual band as somewhat naive when it comes to this stuff....the people in control, let us not forget, are the same crowd that bit the fans in the arse with the tour mess-up a few months back....and then Larry got mad....maybe Larry should talk to this brother before he loses the map entirely....:mad: :mad:

I don't think that I'll add anything to discussion here, but I'll give it a shot.

U2 is a not a group of naive people. I know it's easy to not believe certain things over others when situations such as this crop up - but naive is not at all what they are. They are businessmen as much as we love them and think we know what's going on in their heads when discussing culpability.

I think it's a mistake to accuse the band of anything regarding this latest official site snag. This is strictly up to the company who was hired to run the site, the account manager of the site and its advisory board. Official websites for most big bands ARE very corporate endeavors - not personal ones. Very few of these bands are personally involved in the content of their respective websites. The hiring of a website design and management firm is up to U2's management company generally. Bands generally get involved at the aesthetic level, not the hiring one depending upon how much the given band cares or has the time to allot to this type of thing.

U2 is a huge, huge enterprise. The band is involved and aware of all aspects of this enterprise, and more involved in certain areas over others. Right now they are probably not aware of dramas caused by forum members, but they are aware when public relations issues come to the forefront when things hit the press - but are probably not bothered about some stories over others.

Some of this is from my own professional experience (obvs. not with U2), and some of this conjecture based on knowledge of the industry. If anything, this is an embarassment to U2, not a black mark on them. We can't think everything is a conspiracy against fans every time something happens that we don't like (or understand).

Last edited:
I wasn't aware when I first posted that shutting down the free forum was a temporary thing and that it was going to be back up so soon. That's great, and I hope they were successful in getting rid of the troublemakers.

I don't think some of us would have been so quick to jump down the band's throat about this if it weren't for the fact that there's been so much other stuff going on in the U2 universe these days that is angering us, like paying $40 for the online fan club when other bands charge way less and give you more for your money or the way the former Propoganda members have been treated. I never even belonged to Propoganda and that still upsets me!

U2.COM sucks Basta! they're a bunch of greedy bastards over there...no excuse...and listen its not for the first time that a bunch of half-assed amateurs torpedo the s.c. official U2 politics.
they should fire all these useless fluffybunnies:mad:

O.k. so I just wanna know is Interfernce the best U2 site going? Yeah that's kind of a dumb question when you consider where I'm asking it. I love it here but it's the only one besides U2.com that I spend any real amount of time at. I've checked out other ones but this place makes it so I can't really be bothered with the others. $40.00 is too much and I don't really like u2.com anyways.

Elvis said:

I recall at one time reading that U2.com had well over 100,000 paid memberships at $40. Do the math.

Thats $4,000,000.

It doesnt cost $4,000,000 to run this site, and it surely doesn't cost u2.com $4,000,000. If you don't believe that U2 see profits from their ventures... you're completely in the dark.

:rockon:

Exactly!.....and may I use this opportunity to thank you Elvis for making it possible to be at this great place without having to pay anything at all :up:

Back
Top Bottom