(08-14-2006) Rumor: U2 Greatest Hits CD for Christmas? -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Rumor: U2 Greatest Hits CD for Christmas?

In an article about flagging summer CD sales, Rolling Stone magazine's Aug. 24 issue lists possible fall and winter releases, including, "a U2 greatest-hits comp [that] may drop before Christmas."

The band has only released one studio album since its last compilation but this possible release could be related to the work U2 has recently been doing in the studio.

Stay tuned to Interference.com for updates.

How on earth can you release a greatest hits with only 1 studio album since the last best of???:huh:

don't ask questions, guys.

clearly we're due for another aerosmith-like barrage of greatest hits packages as u2 struggle to release studio material more than three times a decade.

Hm. Not good, I think. So the work in the studio may just be a couple of songs to promote the Greatests Hit CD. Then we will have to wait a LONG time for a new album. If it comes at all. Smell the beginning of the end. To release such a CD only tells me that U2 feel they have done their greatest work, and that they won't try for something greater. Isn't two Best-Of CDs enough for a while?

They said Greatest Hits, not Best Of, right? The Best Of's are songs picked by the band themselves (I believe).

Doubt there'll be anything new with it - Probably more of an Interscope pushed thing, with minimal to no U2 input.

My guess would be this:

U2's Greatest Hits (Billboard Top 40 - ranked by peak position)

1. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For #1
2. With Or Without You #1
3. Desire #3
4. Mysterious Ways #9
5. One #10
6. Discotheque (12" Version) #10
7. Where The Streets Have No Name (Radio Edit) #13
8. Angel Of Harlem #14
9. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me #16
10. Beautiful Day #21
11. Staring At The Sun #26
12. Vertigo #31
13. Even Better Than The Real Thing #32
14. Pride #33
15. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (Temple Bar Edit) #35

Maybe Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Years Day and I Will Follow thrown in for good measure.

Snowlock said:
They said Greatest Hits, not Best Of, right? The Best Of's are songs picked by the band themselves (I believe).

Doubt there'll be anything new with it - Probably more of an Interscope pushed thing, with minimal to no U2 input.

My guess would be this:

U2's Greatest Hits (Billboard Top 40 - ranked by peak position)

1. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For #1
2. With Or Without You #1
3. Desire #3
4. Mysterious Ways #9
5. One #10
6. Discotheque (12" Version) #10
7. Where The Streets Have No Name (Radio Edit) #13
8. Angel Of Harlem #14
9. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me #16
10. Beautiful Day #21
11. Staring At The Sun #26
12. Vertigo #31
13. Even Better Than The Real Thing #32
14. Pride #33
15. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (Temple Bar Edit) #35

Maybe Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Years Day and I Will Follow thrown in for good measure.

I think it would be along those lines as well, more based on chart position than fan or band preference (pretty much meaning the first three albums would be ignored).

Well, this is not going to be a Best of 2000-2005. How about a Best Of Live? 16 or so of there greatest songs done live from the best era in which they were played live. This could be a sweet package.

I'm still not expecting anything from U2 other than a book and a dvd this Fall/Winter.

it's time for The Rest Of The Best !!!!!!!! :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: with songs as Out Of Control, Gloria, Two Hearts Beat As One, A Sort Of Homecoming, One Tree Hill, Running To Stand Still, In God's Country, God Part II, WGRYWH, The Fly, Lemon, Mofo, Please, Walk On, City Of Blinding Lights and Original Of The Species

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Roland of Gilead said:
Well, this is not going to be a Best of 2000-2005. How about a Best Of Live? 16 or so of there greatest songs done live from the best era in which they were played live. This could be a sweet package.

I would love this, but I fear it. Best of Live would probably be:

Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Years Day & I Will Follow - Under A Blood Red Sky

Bad - Wide Awake In America

Streets, WOWY, Bullet - Rattle & Hum

The Fly, One, Mysterious Ways - Live From Sydney

Discotheque & Gone - Live From Mexico City

Beautiful Day - Live From Boston
Kite - Live From Slane Castle

Vertigo & COBL - Live From Chicago

In other words, nothing we haven't already heard

Maybe they really want to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the band with something.But a greatest hits still doesn't make any sense.

ponkine said:
it's time for The Rest Of The Best !!!!!!!! :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: with songs as Out Of Control, Gloria, Two Hearts Beat As One, A Sort Of Homecoming, One Tree Hill, Running To Stand Still, In God's Country, God Part II, WGRYWH, The Fly, Lemon, Mofo, Please, Walk On, City Of Blinding Lights and Original Of The Species

:drool: :drool: :drool:

:up:

Doubt this one.

It can't be the third Best of, for obvious lack of material.

I don't think they will do a Live best of, what with the DVDs and bootlegs around.

They won't do a "singles Best of" a la Depeche Mode because those were chosen for most part for the Best of's.

Too early for the box-set.

Don't forget that when they signed the deal to do the The Best of CD's, it was a 3 CD deal...80's, 90's and ??? So, they still owe the studio one more. The Best of "Live" makes the most sense to me. Lets hope it's material from shows there aren't already CD's and DVD's of as previously mentioned.

U2girl said:
Doubt this one.

It can't be the third Best of, for obvious lack of material.

I don't think they will do a Live best of, what with the DVDs and bootlegs around.

They won't do a "singles Best of" a la Depeche Mode because those were chosen for most part for the Best of's.

Too early for the box-set.

OBVIOUS LACK OF MATERIAL????? :ohmy: :shocked:

the only one obvious thing was the lack of enough material both on Best of 1980-1990 and Best of 1990-2000. For a 25 years career band (and what a band!), the "lack of material" is simply something that nobody could say!

They have enough stuff for a 2 CD set "The Rest Of The Best". Let's see ;)

CD1:

1- 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
2- Out Of Control
3- The Electric Co
4- Gloria
5- Fire
6- Two Hearts Beat As One
7- Seconds
8- "40" (live)
9- A Sort Of Homecoming
10- MLK
11-Running To Stand Still
12-One Tree Hill
13-In God's Country
14-God Part II
15-Bullet The Blue Sky (live)
16-Heartland

CD2:

1- The Fly
2- Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
3- Zooropa (Radio edit)
4- Lemon
5- Numb (Album Version)
6- Discotheque (Single Version)
7- Staring At The Sun (Album Version)
8- Mofo
8- If God Will Send His Angels (Single Version)
9- Please (Single Version)
10-Elevation
11-Walk On
12-Vertigo
13-City Of Blinding Lights
14-Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
15-Original Of The Species

:heart:

Even with just considering Singles and Promos you can make an astounding compilation :rockon: with just tracks not included on Best ofs CD's !! (of course, not considered those "New Mix" ...). Now this is Even Better Than The Real Thing ...

CD1:

1- Out Of Control
2- 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
3- A Day Without Me
4- Fire
5- Gloria
6- A Celebration
7- Two Hearts Beat As One
8- "40"
9- I Will Follow (live)
10-A Sort Of Homecoming
11-Wire
12-Bad (live)
13-In God's Country
14-One Tree Hill
15-Trip Through Your Wires
16-God Part II

CD2:

1- Hawkmoon 269
2- With Or Without You (live)
3- Night And Day
4- Zoo Station
2- The Fly
5- Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
6- Salome (Zooromancer Remix)
7- Numb
8- Lemon
9- Zooropa (edit)
10-Your Blue Room (edit)
11-Discotheque
12-Staring At The Sun
13-Last Night On Earth
14-Pop Musik
15-Mofo
16-Please (live)

CD3:

1- Where The Streets Have No Name (live)
2- Please
3- If God Will Send His Angels
4- An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart (live)
5- The Ground Beneath Her Feet
6- When I Look At The World
7- Walk On
8- Elevation
9- Gone (live)
10- Vertigo
11- Beautiful Day (live)
12- All Because Of You
13- Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
14-City Of Blinding Lights
15-Original Of The Species

Now I can see the Lack of Material
;)

There is a lack of material.
Best of 1980-1990 is songs from the 80's, and Best of 1990-2000 is songs from the 90's.
Now in that analogy the third one would be something like Best of 2000-2005, and I'm sure that's what U2girl meant.

But what would that be, half All That You Can't Leave Behind, half Vertigo?

Reggie Thee Dog said:
No, no you're all wrong, they're going to call their next album "Greatest Hits" but it'll all be 'new' songs....right :huh:

I'm just grasping at straws here peeps...

That would be clever, and much better than the alternative

AAF's debut album was called Greatest Hits :D

I hate most best of albums, but I WOULD go for something like:-

1) "25 Years of U2 Live: 1980-2005"
A 3-disk compilation of U2's best moments recorded live in the same way that Springsteen did his Live 1975-1985

2) "Ultimate U2"
A 2-disk compilation of the Greatest Hits plus a bonus disk including a couple of new tracks, some rare tracks (Boy-Girl, Touch etc) plus the iTunes "unreleased" songs (Levitate, Love You Like Mad etc) and Mercy

How about this in a series of remastered compilations......to be followed by a UF-RH retrospective, along with one for AB-Pop.

U2: Volume One

1. Out Of Control (from U2:3) *
2. Stories For Boys (from U2:3) *
3. Boy/Girl (from U2:3) *
4. Another Day (from the single) *
5. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock (from the single) *
4. A Day Without Me (first single from Boy)
5. I Will Follow (second single from Boy)
6. Cry/The Electric Co. (Live) (from the digital album, Live From Boston 1981) *
7. Fire (first single from October)
8. Gloria (second single from October)
9. October (from October)
10. I Fall Down (from October)
11. Tomorrow (from October)
12. A Celebration (from single) *
13. Party Girl (b-side from "A Celebration" single)
14. New Year's Day (first single from War)
15. Two Hearts Beat As One (7" Edit) (second single from War) *
16. Sunday Bloody Sunday (third single from War)
17. Seconds (from War)
18. Drowning Man (from War)
19. 40 (fourth single from War - German release)

* Indicates first-ever release on a CD album.

Last edited:
I could envision this being some sorta 'Unplugged" or acoustic version of their greatest hits. It would still be classified as a greatest hits album, but would require re-recording the tracks, which would explain the studio work.

Just a thought.

Vincent Vega said:
There is a lack of material.
Best of 1980-1990 is songs from the 80's, and Best of 1990-2000 is songs from the 90's.
Now in that analogy the third one would be something like Best of 2000-2005, and I'm sure that's what U2girl meant.

:yes:

The first Best of was from the 80's, second was from the 90's. It makes sense the third one is from the 00's. Currently we have Walk on and Elevation and, at best, 5 Bomb songs which is far too little.

Best of the Rest doesn't make sense. The record deal said 3 Best of's.

Back
Top Bottom