(05-16-2006) In Tiny Kingdom, Bono Presses New Africa Agenda -- Reuters*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
In Tiny Kingdom, Bono Presses New Africa Agenda

By Lesley Wroughton

MASERU (Reuters) - Irish rock star Bono began a new African tour on Tuesday in Lesotho where he will unveil a new initiative to fight AIDS in its ailing textile industry.

"In a small African country the three issues -- debt, aid and trade -- come together in an unholy trinity," the U2 frontman told Reuters as his plane landed in the capital Maseru with a delegation of activists and private sector executives.

Bono has billed this as "Measuring Success and Promises Kept" to highlight the progress in the treatment of HIV/AIDS in Africa, the search for economic growth and rich nations' pledges to cancel some debts and more than double aid to Africa by 2010.

The 10-day trip also marks four years since he traveled to Africa with then-U.S. Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill to urge wealthy nations to do more for the world's poorest continent.

On this tour Bono also hopes to show that even more needs to be done for countries like Lesotho, where a once-vibrant textile sector has been hit by low-cost Asian producers and uncertainty over duty-free access to the U.S. market.

Lesotho, a mountainous country of just two million people, has a history of food shortages caused by drought and struggles with one of the world's highest rates of HIV/AIDS with nearly a third of its adult population infected.

NEW AIDS TREATMENT INITIATIVE

Bono is due to announce a new initiative to fight HIV/AIDS in Lesotho's textile and garment industry with U.S. clothing maker Gap Inc, which has signed onto his Red Products branding scheme to raise cash to fight the epidemic.

Gap is contributing 50 percent of its profits from the sale of GAP Red products to a global fund for AIDS in Africa and has committed to make some of the Red Products in Africa.

The Apparel Lesotho Alliance to Fight AIDS (ALAFA) project will ensure workers have access to free drug therapy for the prevention and treatment of AIDS among factory workers.

"It's an important moment because what you see here and the reason why we have people with us, we're attempting to gang up on the continent's problems from many angles. It's a swarm of bees," he said.

Bono has long championed the fight against poverty in Africa and used his fame to get access to the world's powerbrokers.

The Irish rocker successfully campaigned last year to have the debts of 18 mostly African countries written off in a $40 billion agreement in June by the Group of Eight industrialized countries, which agreed to more than double aid by 2010.

His current visit to Africa will take him to Lesotho, Rwanda, Tanzania, Nigeria, Mali and Ghana, where he is expected to push wealthy countries to keep their promises to Africa on increased financial assistance and debt relief.

The BBC has video of Bono in Lesotho that can be accessed here.

Last edited:
He shoulda got the Peace Prize last year.

... except for the fact the committee gives it to anti-nuclear organizations in years ending in "5" to commemorate the anniversary of the Hiroshima bombing.

Here's hoping he gets it this year. :wink:

I really don't have much time tonight but Bono's visit to Lesotho has a special meaning for me for several reasons.

Mainly because I have come to know some very gracious and truly humble people from this tiny, desparately poor country in southern Africa.

I volunteer for a local organization that does support work for Lesotho (mainly Maseru) with various activities to raise awareness of Lesotho's current challenges and with various fund raising activities to support the families of HIV/AIDS affected families.

And as an active ONE volunteer, I sign people up on ONE petitions to help ensure more development money going to Lesotho to help her out of her current development challenges.

So when Ali started EDUN in Lesotho - I was ecstatic!
EDUN will help hundreds of families in Lesotho to provide a decent living for themselves and bring much needed hope to communities in Lesotho which are literally on the verge of collapse.

And now, BONO VISITS LESOTHO!

My heart is so full of Joy and Hope for this small country literally fighting for its continued survival from the devastating effects of AIDS, droughts and unemployment from the lack of trade.

I know that the spotlight that Bono will bring to this simple yet royal country can only but help Lesotho in the future to to survive and to ultimately thrive.

So, THANK YOU, BONO, for all that you are and for all that you do!

The People of Lesotho, as all the People of Africa, appreciate all that you are trying to do for them!

:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Wow...

seeing this all again, it really is good for me. I've been returning to the main reason for my interest in U2, and this is part of it.

The reason I actually gave in and bought a CD, the Joshua Tree, was because there was something greater that I sense there.

Things like this bring it out again, and I'm happy for this.

I really like how in that video clip he said it was supposed to be an adventure, not a burden...... I'm going to signature that one...... i

20060519_bono03.jpg

Back
Top Bottom