(01-29-2007) 'U2-charist': Bono moves in mysterious ways - Reuters*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
"U2-charist": Bono moves in mysterious ways

LONDON (Reuters) - For Anglicans who still haven't found what they're looking for, the Church of England is staging its first "U2-charist" communion service -- replacing hymns with hit songs by the Irish supergroup.

"Rock music can be a vehicle of immense spirituality," said Bishop of Grantham Timothy Ellis, announcing plans for the unique service in the central English town of Lincoln in May.

A live band is to play U2 classics like "Beautiful Day" and "Mysterious Ways" with special singalong lyrics displayed on a giant screen. Seating for the 500-strong congregation is to be re-arranged so everyone can dance and wave their hands.

The service is to focus on the Millennium development goals -- U2's lead singer Bono is a leading promoter of the targets to alleviate world poverty.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070129/people_nm/religion_u2_dc_1

They did a little piece about this on The Daily Show around the holidays (though, I think the church they were showing clips from was in the States, not the UK). They seemed a little crazy, flailing around to I Will Follow, to which Samantha Bee replied "If you walk away...please, just walk away!"

There was actually one of these on the CSU campus not too long ago, and aside from U2-Charist being a terribly corny name for something, it seems to be quite a cool idea.

a mess like a rock-show :hmm:

I am not sure it's the case, even if I agree that music can be a vehicle for a message..

USA Today had a big article about this back in November, I think. I thought it was a little strange as I thought the service was going to feature choral or organ or other instrumental renditions of U2's work, to which the audience was invited to sing along. Instead, it was the recordings themselves....a little strange. But hey, it's a start, and a great idea!

Though the SHOWS remain the best ever worship service....:wink:

Teta040 said:
But hey, it's a start, and a great idea!

Though the SHOWS remain the best ever worship service....:wink:

Yes, I agree. I think having a church band try to play U2 songs will make me cringe. I rather have the actual recordings if anything at all or better yet, a real U2 concert every Sunday would blow my mind!! Haha!! You know what I mean?

Back
Top Bottom