(01-29-2005) How to Dismantle a U2 Fan in the Cold -- Western Mail*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
How to Dismantle a U2 Fan in the Cold

David Williamson, Western Mail

TICKETS for the latest tour by rock band U2, including a performance at the Millennium Stadium, are expected to sell out today.

Almost all the 260,000 tickets were snapped up yesterday, proving that a band formed by four Dublin schoolboys in 1977 remains a potent force.

U2's European Tour Promoter, John Giddings said, "I am staggered by the response. The demand is unprecedented."

How does a band formed 28 years ago still command such loyalty?

"They are making good music," A spokeswoman said,

Subscribers to U2.com were able to buy tickets in advance. Demand was so great the system suffered meltdown when three million "hits" were made.

A further rush is expected on February 4 when tickets go on sale for a homecoming performance at Dublin's Croke Park.

At the front of the queue as fans began gathering outside the Ticketline office in Cardiff at 7am yesterday to get tickets for the June 29 gig, was Gary Pedersen, from Cardiff.

He said, "I'm a massive fan and have seen them twice already. When I heard they were coming to the Millennium Stadium I had to get tickets."

Student Paul Barrett, 22, who said he had come to know the group's music from their recent Greatest Hits compilations, said, "I think it'll just be a great show."

Tickets for the show were not cheap, ranging from £44.75 to £94. A band spokeswoman said ticket prices for the Rolling Stones and Madonna reached £150.

David Williams, of Cardiff, was queuing with his wife, Tracey.

Asked how he would react if he bumped into lead singer Bono, David said he would choose his words carefully.

"I wouldn't shower him with praise. I bet he gets fed up with that."

Back
Top Bottom