Ok, how many alltoghether sold albums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
So far, i've heard various numbers: anything from
over 75 million (before Pop was released, MTV Europe),

over 80 million (before ATYCLB was released - also MTV Europe),

90 million (on a Spanish article with Bono's "fly" look)

and over 100 million (Much music interview, MTV US "Leaving nothing behind special).

Which is right?

:confused:

Over 100 million is correct. Actually the number is between 105 million and 120 million. I would go with 120 million from what I have seen and read.

I'm not 100% positive since these are international sales totals. But every sales figure I have seen, plus confirmed sales figures from RIAA and various countries leads me to believe that 120 million is correct. Most here stand by 105 million. In any event, the initial shipment for Best Of......1990-2000 will be in the neighborhood of 4-5 million. It will probably going well beyond that in the following year, by which time, another U2 studio album will be released potentially adding another 5-10+ million. On top of all that, the huge catalog of U2 albums will continue to generate sales worldwide. As I showed last week, the WAR album popped up on to the Charts in France with nearly 2,000 copies in sales.

I would definitely say over 100 incl. ATYCLB, but 120 mil is still a little high isn?t it? In a year or two.

I don't find it high at all and do recall seeing that figure I believe in Billboard magazine. Two more albums, Best of....1990-2000 and next studio album, could put the band at 140 million in about 2 years.

Yes, o.k., ....always depends on what you measure. The total album sales or the ones distributed at SRLP, whatever. In those dimensions one million is not much ;) Billboard... well... the survey method is interesting. Do they have other criteria than ASCAP/ BMI? However make it 120 mil. Why not.

What is SLRP? The record company is the one that knows. They know how many copies of each album they have shipped worldwide.

STING2 said:
What is SLRP? The record company is the one that knows. They know how many copies of each album they have shipped worldwide.

Yeah, they know how much they have shipped, but not (exactly) how many were sold of the shipped ones. Ok, there are the returns etc., but I think they calculate in rough terms, as there are also lots of giveaways, et al. So they may know plus minus a thousand or so (being optimist here).

SRLP is the Suggested Retail List Price, the base on which f.e. artist royalties are calculated (as a percentage of the SRLP, minus a few deductions).

Of established artists, you should find the new album(s) sold at the SRLP, and many older ones become a catalog item, which means they?re no more actively marketed or promoted. Often reduced prices, say f.e. a copy of "The Unforgettable Fire".

Last edited:
All worldwide sales totals are shipment totals. Soundscan is not available in all countries so the shipment figures are used. Since shipments are based on sales this is accurate way to estimate total sales. As far as record company and artist go, a record shipped is essentially a record sold.

Back
Top Bottom