Random Music Talk CXXX: The AFL Finally Gets Revenge on Meat Loaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Little Things is my early favorite as well. But there are a LOT of highlights.

Little Things is so pretty. I love the cadence of the verses, where she keeps making you wait for the next line a little bit. Like many of their great songs it just skips a chorus and keeps building and building - the release when she gets to “one step behind you/following you down/I was inside of you/kissing your mouth” is so good. The vocals slightly distorted by the production, and hidden behind that wall of sound. Incredible.

Love the Big Thief album, and "Spud Infinity" was the standout to me on first listen. It's science fiction Bob Dylan.

Love the Big Thief album, and "Spud Infinity" was the standout to me on first listen. It's science fiction Bob Dylan.

No Reason was the winner for me. Great album overall. Gets very close to overstaying its welcome with that runtime, though, but I can look past it.

I really really loved the writing in Spud Infinity:

Kiss the one you are right now
Kiss your body up and down other than your elbows
'Cause as for your elbows, they're on their own
Wandering like a rolling stone
Rubbing up against the edges of experience

Of these last few weeks of releases, I would say one album absolutely deserving of the effusive praise is Dragon New Warm Mountain. I really love the way the band has branched out in texture and songwriting.

One whose praise I am finding hard to understanding is Black Country, New Road. I wasn't awestruck with profundity while listening to it the way a lot of these reviewers apparently were.

Speaking of bands that can do no wrong, Once Twice Melody is fantastic.

I take back what I said in late January. This year is fantastic already. 2-3 AOTY worthy albums out there already.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm through the first two parts of OTM and it's sounding like yet another rock solid gem from one of the best bands of their generation. New Romance immediately grabbed my attention.

As far as music goes, this is the best first two months of a year I've been around to appreciate.

There was a review that referred to Once Twice Melody as a best-of album with only new songs, and I feel it.

LM/Ashley: how was the Weather Station/Cassandra Jenkins show?

Weather Station just rescheduled the NYC postponed show to April, really looking forward to that.

Knee-jerk Beach House rankings:

1. Devotion (this is one of the most uniquely atmospheric albums I've ever heard)
2. 7
3. Bloom
4. Once Twice Melody
5. Teen Dream
6. Depression Cherry
7. Thank Your Lucky Stars
8. S/T

LM/Ashley: how was the Weather Station/Cassandra Jenkins show?

Weather Station just rescheduled the NYC postponed show to April, really looking forward to that.

I missed some of Weather Station as I was feeling a little anxious, but I thought both were great in their own ways, with a slight preference towards Cassandra's set.

I missed some of Weather Station as I was feeling a little anxious, but I thought both were great in their own ways, with a slight preference towards Cassandra's set.

Glad you liked it (despite missing some of the Weather Station set). I was so entranced by Cassandra when I saw her. I really hope she continues to tour this album a bit more.

I suppose we will get some of the new songs from Weather Station by April, but I do hope they don't cut down on Ignorance songs or some of their older stuff.

Last edited:
Sigur Rós are in the studio (lineup of Jónsi, Goggi, and Kjartan) and are also going on tour in May and June. I don't think I can make it to any of the shows this tour, but I am excited to have a new record from them. It has been awhile.

Big Thief albums ranked:

1. U.F.O.F.
2. Dragon New Warm Mountain
3. Capacity
4. Two Hands
5. Masterpiece

Dragon New Warm Mountain

Two Hands
UFOF
Capacity

Masterpiece

DNWM is my favorite album since Fetch the Bolt Cutters.

I refused to read the review once I read the description of it and realised it'd be a bit negative. I'm quite disappointed (not in the album, which I think is great) but in the review. I and many other Aussies have been screaming down Pitchfork for years to give them love, especially when Go Farther in Lightness started enjoying global success (and they review Camp Cope and even Georgia Maq's solo record, despite the fact they're way, way, way smaller than Gang of Youths), and they finally do it and it's negative. Feels like it's starting them off on the wrong foot. I've not read the review yet so maybe it is more positive, but the description and reactions here suggest it's not.

Listening to an album where someone tries and fails to pull off a jazz-folk-alt hybrid (Island of Noise by Modern Nature) makes me further appreciate the alchemy in the Cassandra Jenkins album from last year.

I reckon the new GoY album blows Go Further in Lightness out of the water. I often lost focus while listening to the previous album, whereas I’m hanging onto almost every minute on Angel in Realtime.

And for some reason I’m enjoying Unison and Man Himself a lot more in their album context.

It’s been years since a song has moved me as much as Brothers does - hits so hard.

These lads have escalated in my estimation massively. May go and check them at Rod Laver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom