Random Music Talk CXXX: The AFL Finally Gets Revenge on Meat Loaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to see Jason Isbell next week at the Salt Shed, a new outdoor venue I haven't been to yet. I wasn't sure about Isbell for a while but he's grown on me. Saw him open for Mudcrutch years back and was so excited to see the headliner that his set didn't make much of an impression.

But after listening to a bunch of Drive-By Truckers over the last year or so, I get the appeal. DBT are pretty great. Especially Southern Rock Opera. Anybody here a fan of Drive-By Truckers or Isbell?

hall and oates made a song in 2022 that kinda sounds like it's an outtake from Help! somehow?? [emoji23]

edit: i'm a fuckin idiot - this is a remix of a song from 2003 lol. still a jam though

Last edited:
I saw Pavement and Stereolab in the span of a week. I would say I’m turning into Laz but I don’t give a shit what Wilco is selling and I can’t grow a mustache.

I think I've heard maybe 2 Drake songs and have no desire to hear more. The guy's whole persona is beyond off-putting, which makes me even less interested.

punch-kangaroo.gif

Going to see Jason Isbell next week at the Salt Shed, a new outdoor venue I haven't been to yet. I wasn't sure about Isbell for a while but he's grown on me. Saw him open for Mudcrutch years back and was so excited to see the headliner that his set didn't make much of an impression.

But after listening to a bunch of Drive-By Truckers over the last year or so, I get the appeal. DBT are pretty great. Especially Southern Rock Opera. Anybody here a fan of Drive-By Truckers or Isbell?
Love DBT!

For those who haven't submitted yet:

Vote Now for Your Favorite 1990s Albums and Songs

It will auto-fill stuff that has already been listed by other readers so it's pretty easy to complete (I wound up adding a few titles though).

Here goes my weekend.

Time to give Long Season its due.

Just looking at my RYM ratings, this will be really hard. Other than some of the more obvious things I am a fan of, I really want to make space for these:

- Long Season
- Heaven or Las Vegas
- Painful
- Laughing Stock
- Souvlaki
- Anodyne
- Dummy
- Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space
- Car Wheels on a Gravel Road
- Mezzanine
- Pick your PJ Harvey album

And this is just the less obvious stuff. How to fit this and Loveless, Automatic for the People, Odelay, Homogenic, Achtung, Crooked Rain, Being There, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill (probably skipping it as it’s secured a high spot) OK Computer (ditto), The Boy with the Arab Strap/If You’re Feeling Sinister.

As I said, there goes my weekend.

Last edited:
Top three 90s albums for me are Homogenic, Dummy, and Loveless in an order that can switch at any time. All three of those were so forward-looking and still sound futuristic now.

Under-appreciated choices for me would be Stereolab's Transient Random Noise Bursts and Built to Spill's There's Nothing Wrong with Love.

Can't remember all my picks but:

Achtung
Wowee Zowee
Brighten the Corners
Sugar - Copper Blue
Afghan Whigs - Black Love
Homogenic
Underworld - Second Toughest...
Prince - Gold Experience
New Adventures in Hi-Fi
Exile in Guyville
Zooropa
Parkife
Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating...
Ray of Light
I Can Hear the Heart...
Spoon - Series of Sneaks
EBTG - Walking Wounded
Songs of Faith & Devotion

massive neglect of hip hop classics here. smh my head.

Illmatic
36 chambers
The chronic
Ready to die
The score
Aquemini
Stankonia
ATLiens
Hard to earn
Fear of a black planet
Resurrection
Only built 4 Cuban linx
Me against the world
All eyez on me
Don killuminati
Doggystyle
The low end theory
Midnight marauders
Reasonable doubt

Last edited:
Stankonia is 2000.

Actually I did have The Low End Theory on mine, thanks for reminding me. Considered putting Beastie Boys' Check Your Head, but ultimately the rock albums are more important to me, so I didn't have much room for hip hop/pop/electronica.

There were a couple for me that would have been adds, and I decided not to bother because my vote likely wouldn't help much. For example, I prefer Liz Phair's Whip-Smart to Exile in Guyville, but I just wound up throwing a vote to the latter, hoping it boosts her placement. And there's her Matador labelmate Helium, who I wanted to vote for but have no chance in hell in this poll.

I just did a super quick entry of stuff that came to mind. Wrote in a shit tonne of U2 and clicked everything for OutKast. Achtung had better make it. Maybe I'll try to make a proper list this week.

massive neglect of hip hop classics here. smh my head.

You say this and then don't include Endtroducing.....? :|

This song was in my dream the other night. Another one of a million songs I've known from classic rock radio my whole life but couldn't name the song or the artist until I googled it. Good tune.

I just did that Pitchfork survey. A handful of huge records that, according to the autocomplete, no one had entered yet...GnR/Use Your Illusions, Pearl Jam/Ten, AIC/Dirt, Metallica/Black Album, RHCP/BSSM(and Californication), REM/Out Of Time, Beasties/Hello Nasty, etc. All except the Beasties made my top 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom