Name the album you just bought, part whatever + 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Jayhawks - Tomorrow The Green Grass
Manic Street Preachers - This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours
The White Stripes - Elephant

i am officially bummed out. newbury comics in amherst is no longer in amherst. when i moved there 12 years ago, there were three awesome record stores. all different, too. for the record was the artsy jazz and indie specialty place i never really shopped at, and then they closed a few years back after being in business 30 some odd years. mystery train was probably the best used record store i've ever set foot in. they had everything, ridiculously cheap vinyl in decent, if not excellent, condition. all kinds of rarer and out of print stuff would come in, often way underpriced compared to if you went and found some of that stuff on ebay. some of the used stuff from bigger bands bordered on the bargin bin albums that were generally regarded as those bands' not so good albums, but if you frequented the place it was incredibly easy to round up an entire back catalogue from pretty much any of those bands. they bought up other kinds of band-related crap, old fan magazines, books, and sold those for 50 cents/a couple bucks. i bought the whole box of u2-related crap someone had gotten rid of for almost nothing. i probably spent just as much money over the years there as i did at newbury comics, where sure you were dropping a little bit more cash for new cds, but when i was in high school there wasn't a single in-print album you couldn't find there. i'd go in looking for 5 things, and in the process of finding them i'd find 10 other cds i thought i needed. being a new england chain, i'd always be able to find new stuff when obscure boston bands put out albums, because they'd always get a couple copies. they were perfect for picking up all the punk rock stuff that i took for granted for so long that most people not living in a major city can usually only get if they order online or see that particular band at a show.

like i said, for the record closed. mystery train downsized to a shell of what it used to be and became cds-only, and mainly just stuff most people have heard of in the interest of putting out the stuff they thought would sell best in the limited space the new place had. i don't know if they're still there, i went once after they moved and found it too depressing to go back.

now, newbury comics is gone. i hear they moved to northampton, but i also hear it's a very tiny space, and i kind of don't want to go see what's become of it.

speaking of northampton, i think the last time one of these stores disappeared/downsized, it was one of the ones over there. i am pretty sure i lamented its loss in this thread (or a previous version of it). i know this is nothing new. it just sucks. it sucks a lot.

a935619009a04cc59ce94110.L.jpg

Good on 'ya!

@IWasBored, sorry for the loss of your Newbury Comics :sad:.

i told a friend of mine that i'm sad, all the music stores of my youth are gone now. he said easy there john cusack, i'm no good at talking people off ledges.

i am so going to watch high fidelity now. i am so not going to rearrange my cds in autobiographical order.

i did actually put them in chronological order one time. it was interesting, but kind of made finding things a little akward at times.

i wanna go back to the one in norwood. OMG. :drool: had to go out to canton (i think that's where i went) to renew a certification for work cos i couldn't find a class closer, got a little lost on the way back to the highway and found myself on rte 1. so i headed toward norwood looking for that place, because i'd heard it was gianormous. and oh boy. did they have music. lots of music. lots of other crap too, but quite a nice music selection indeed.

I've never been to that one, I frequent the one in Natick most since my friend works there and its pretty much the only place I see him these days, that location's pretty large as well.

hmm...where is it in relation to when you get spit off the pike exit, somewhere in that giant mall-like area? i got off that exit once, can't remember why (and that's all i know about natick).

hmm...where is it in relation to when you get spit off the pike exit, somewhere in that giant mall-like area? i got off that exit once, can't remember why (and that's all i know about natick).

It is directly across rt. 9 from the mall, the best way to get there would be to get off the pike at exit 12 and head east on 9. I known the area well, I went to high school in Natick.

cool. i've decided the next time i go to boston (usually technically cambridge, but eastern mass in general i mean) for a show, it's doubling as a cd shopping trip but the norwood store is a little more out of the way. all i remember is i got off the pike, thought wtf where am i and my there are a lot of stores here, got back on the pike and continued onto wherever i was headed.

I'm not from Boston, but I've done the same thing the last couple times I've been there, and I've had good luck at a couple of places that haven't been mentioned: 1) a little used music store just west of Massachusetts on Boylston, essentially on the Berklee campus. Wish I remembered the name... They're cheap, and they've got local music separated into it's own section. 2) Planet Records in Cambridge, near Harvard Square. I found some music here that I'd been chasing for years, and the prices were fair.

I've only been to the Newbury Comics on Boylston, and they have an awesome selection, but I thought their used music was too high ($8-10 mostly). They probably have to charge that to maintain that high-rent location. However, their new releases are cheap! I'm still kicking myself for not picking up the new Belle & Sebastian - they had it for $6, I think. :sad:

nah, pretty much any newbury comics i've ever been to has had shitty over-priced used music.

You have to catch the sales they do, or justify the used prices as about as good as you can get with half.com or the Amazon marketplace with the shipping, but for a chain, there's not a better used store in New England. Also, a lot of the time their first week prices beat Best Buy (and obviously they stock a lot of new releases that people at BB won't have even heard about).

Agentorange, was Looney Tunes the record store you were talking about?? It's on Boylston like right below street level like block from Mass Ave.

Yeah, that name sounds familiar. It's a dusty old shop, concrete floors, with a lot of vinyl. But I don't remember it being below street level...

Joe Cocker - Mad Dog & Englishmen
Prince - Lotusflow3r/MPLSound/Elixir
Sarah Vaughan - A Time In My Life

Agentorange, was Looney Tunes the record store you were talking about?? It's on Boylston like right below street level like block from Mass Ave.

i've been there. are they still there? i was looking for that place not too long ago when i was out there, but not finding it could have had more to do with not really remembering exactly where it was. i thought it was somewhere near that bar with the psuedo-commie art/name (which i also can't remember), near where i've ended up walking around/driving past when i went to shows at the mid east. but sometimes my geographical sense of boston/cambridge gets seriously screwed up.

Yeah Looney Tunes is still there, and I suppose it would only make sense for you to end up there from the Middle East if you kept going on Mass Ave back into Boston. As for the pub, the only one I can think of is Bukowski's, but I don't know much about the namesake.

Yes, I was at Looney Tunes and Bukowski's a few weeks ago. From experience, I recommend chasing Catherine Wheel's Ferment album with a Pretty Things Jack D'Or saison. :D

Back
Top Bottom