Desert Island VII Master List, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i wish i'd incorporated DJ Shadow into my list now.

i'm about to start Tourist's list, but if everyone is ready, i'm ready for group two :up:

Coldplay? Pearl Jam? Oh, I can tell I'm going to enjoy this...

Nah, just kidding. I'm looking forward to seeing what you throw in.

:lol: if you're disappointed with it, let me know, i'll throw in the West Coast theme song as an addendum, rezip it, and get it out to you :up:

Just finished Ashley's. The 80s is not at all my style, so I definitely prefer the second part of the playlist. But it's very well constructed, good flow and all.

This playlist pretty much confirmed that I just don't get Joy Division and New Order, though.

any reason, Ashley, why the album for Start a War was listed as "The Exact Opposite of a Death Metal Christmas"?

that's a pretty hilarious fuck up if my computer's gone and done that.

any reason, Ashley, why the album for Start a War was listed as "The Exact Opposite of a Death Metal Christmas"?

that's a pretty hilarious fuck up if my computer's gone and done that.

That was the name of Axver's Yuletide Exchange List I made him two years ago, and I saw that I forgot to change the album title after I'd already uploaded it, and I'm lazy.

/story

That was the name of Axver's Yuletide Exchange List I made him two years ago, and I saw that I forgot to change the album title after I'd already uploaded it, and I'm lazy.

/story

ohh... righto! :lol:

just starting tourist's list. i'm home at the moment, so i'll get a bit of a diary going here.

good start, always liked this song! reminds of this bit of British sketch humour.

YouTube - UK sketch show california dreaming sketch

brilliant start. plenty of energy in Simon/Garfunkel song, though i'd never heard it.

do my ears lie - or is this Love orchestral ending to A Day in the Life slightly different to the Sgt Peppers version? not that it matters, one of the best songs there is, nonetheless.

and Andrew is coming quickly into contention. Shangri-La proves to me that there could be many a Kink song to check out, though i'm pretty content with current collection, which contains Lola.

All Things Must Pass remains a must-get album after this tune. Beck continues to endear himself unto me.

This Matt Bertringer's voice is not nearly so off-putting as many have said. The National are perhaps another band to check out.

Great momentum. i'll continue the rest once i get back from my lil' catch-up date.

This Matt Bertringer's voice is not nearly so off-putting as many have said. The National are perhaps another band to check out.

Who's said that? (Personally, I think his voice is an integral part of the band and is perfect for it in many respects). And yes, yes they most certainly are; get on that quickly, Danny.

I think Mikal hated his voice, before he inadvertently became a fan overnight. And that guy from the Popmatters Alligator review didn't care for it, obvs.

Personally, I think it's comforting and suits their sound exceptionally well.

Berninger is great at what he does. I don't understand the comparisons between him and Ian Curtis. Curtis always sounds so forced, while Berninger's voice sounds completely natural that way.

I find the contrast between Berninger's singing and his speaking slightly funny, although it's not nearly as different as the insanity that is Win Butler's speaking voice. I still don't understand that.

I've never been a crazy big fan of The National. I do find them pleasant, though.

Who's said that? (Personally, I think his voice is an integral part of the band and is perfect for it in many respects). And yes, yes they most certainly are; get on that quickly, Danny.

not so much that anyone's said that he's got a bad or an off-putting voice, moreso that i've since his voice get brought up a lot in discussions about The National. i was just surprised, from all the times i've seen it brought up, i was expecting a real wtf voice, but it suited perfectly..

well, finished your list, Andrew. it was great, and apart from six or seven songs, i really did enjoy most of the rest.

1901 might be the best song of 2009. i feel... privileged to hear it, it's that good. i liked the ending to the second disc as well, Howl was great, and so was the Starflyer song. ;)

I'm sitting in the back of a car (rip A. Chilton) with my dog sleeping next to me and listening to Just Like Heaven from LM's list. So far I'm really digging it. I can't really give a big running commentary because it's nearly midnight and I'm in the middle of nowhere, but it's a pretty kool thang to go with this tasty music. Ooh, Camera Obscura.

not so much that anyone's said that he's got a bad or an off-putting voice, moreso that i've since his voice get brought up a lot in discussions about The National. i was just surprised, from all the times i've seen it brought up, i was expecting a real wtf voice, but it suited perfectly..

Ah, okay. I hadn't read reviews or anything that denigrated his voice (haven't read the Popmatters Alligator review that LM mentioned, perhaps I should?), so I was more curious as to who/what you had in mind, that's all.

Last edited:
Matt Bertringer's

bert_ernie_softphone.jpg

I can't really give a big running commentary because it's nearly midnight and I'm in the middle of nowhere

:(:(:(

Seriously, it's cool. I can only imagine the kind of shit GAF gets into (though I would rather not) when listening to these lists. That's probably why he never does any commentaries.

Ah, okay. I hadn't read reviews or anything that denigrated his voice (haven't read the Popmatters Alligator review that LM mentioned, perhaps I should?), so I was more curious as to who/what you had in mind, that's all.

Oh, it's awful, but provides a few lulz. The guy actually isn't an awful writer, but he obsessively picks on a few traits while giving the band's collective musical talents next to no credit:

The National: Alligator - PopMatters Music Review

Ohhhh, I'm afraid that playlist will be quite operational... when the links arrive.

Back
Top Bottom